• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Runny Caramel Centers

Lior

• 1 month later...

I've tried a couple of salted caramel chocolate recipes which call for chocolate to be added to caramel, in order to keep it firm and for it to set so that tempered chocolate can seal off the mold neatly.

howeverrrrr, I was wondering if it was possible to create chocolates with molten caramel centers.....It would probably be a pain trying to seal off the molds since there will probably be streaks of chocolate in the caramel and vice versa. Any suggestions/recipes/help? :o)

thanks!

Michael Recchiuti has a Rose Caramel filled piece in his book "Chocolate Obsession" which is quite soft. That's just left overnight to skin over. I've always made it soft but not runny myself.

You could also use the trick of spraying a very thin layer of cocoa butter over the top of the caramel if it is still to liquid after setting overnight.

I think David's point is a good one: you don't need the caramel centre to "set" as such to make it easy to back off, you just need the caramel to form a "skin" which will be enough.

Usually leaving the mould at a temperature of 18-22 celcius for 24 hours will allow a skin to form (depending on your recipe it may occur faster)

Ive done liquid caramel centers but ive always done them with molded chocolates. If the caramel is on the thiner side ive chilled my semi finished chocolates (outer shell and filled), prior to applying the base and sealing the chocolate. Then once at room temp the filling is liquid again. Of course you just have to be cautious to not leave the chocolate in the fridge too long else you will get sugar bloom.

You could also play around with the enzyme that melts fondant, as when making cherry cordials. Im not sure if it will melt caramel, but if not you could try mixing different proportions of fondant with caramel until you get your desired consistency.

But try the fridge method first, its fast and easy.

I've tried a couple of salted caramel chocolate recipes which call for chocolate to be added to caramel, in order to keep it firm and for it to set so that tempered chocolate can seal off the mold neatly.

howeverrrrr, I was wondering if it was possible to create chocolates with molten caramel centers.....It would probably be a pain trying to seal off the molds since there will probably be streaks of chocolate in the caramel and vice versa. Any suggestions/recipes/help? :o)

thanks!

I make a chocolate with a caramel center, soft but not runny. I put it in the frig just long enough for the caramel to firm up so the molds can be capped.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

thank you for your input everyone!

I never knew that skins would form on the caramel!!! Should I put mine in the fridge, since Singapore is extremely humid and the caramel will probably go off if I leave it out overnight? Or perhaps just in an air-conditioned room?

One question, though. For runny caramel, should I use a caramel SAUCE recipe or just add more cream to my basic caramel? :o)

My caramel centre involves making a caramel with 350 g sugar and 150 grams of glucose. Take to the colour you want (I tend to go dark and a bit bitter). Deglaze the pan with 250 grams warmed whipping cream (careful here!), then add 50 grams of butter and vanilla.

My caramel centre involves making a caramel with 350 g sugar and 150 grams of glucose.  Take to the colour you want (I tend to go dark and a bit bitter).  Deglaze the pan with 250 grams warmed whipping cream (careful here!), then add 50 grams of butter and vanilla.

Amrita, I want to emphasize what Kerry has said here. You are working in a very warm environment and may be tempted to wear sandals or shorts while you work. Accidents can happen no matter how careful you are, so keep that in mind and dress appropriately when working with hot sugar!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”