• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Runny Caramel Centers

Lior

Hello all! I know that there was a thread on liquidy caramel to fill chocolate molds with a picture but I searched and can't find it. I want to make this today so if anyone is up and connected I would love some direction! Also, any suggestion on flavoring it? It will go with milk chocolate double heart moulds. Thanks!! OH and one more question: Does anyone have the squirrel mould? MIne is from Mol d'art and I am not sure how to use it? I think I should stick the two squirrels together as one is deeper than the other. I hope you know what I mean. If someone has this mold they will understand!!!

Edited by Lior (log)

I couldn't find the topic either.

Why not just make a caramel and cook to about 112C?

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Lior

Mark has posted a couple of times on producing a liquid caramel for moulded items - he cooks the caramel to 230F.

The caramel I use in molded chocolates & truffles, I cook to ~230F. It will ooze but is not to thin. Works great to make a choc caramel truffle.

Mark

This is mentioned on the thread 'Flavoured Caramels' post ref 1391732 and Confections what did we make post ref 1344458.

Sorry my post linking skills are no good hope the references work

Hello all! I know that there was a thread on liquidy caramel to fill chocolate molds with a picture but I searched and can't find it. I want to make this today so if anyone is up and connected I would love some direction! Also, any suggestion on flavoring it? It will go with milk chocolate double heart moulds. Thanks!! OH and one more question: Does anyone have the squirrel mould? MIne is from Mol d'art and I am not sure how to use it? I think I should stick the two squirrels together as one is deeper than the other. I hope you know what I mean. If someone has this mold they will understand!!!

Caramel for molding

400 gm sugar

100 gm corn syrup

500 gm cream

125 gm butter

1.5 tsp vanillia

warm cream

caramelize sugar & corn syrup till you get the color you desire

add cream , will bubble up

cook to 230F

remove from heat

add butter & vanillia

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Thank you soooooo much! I used a recipe from Geerts' book and it was strange. After caramelizing the sugar I had to add the butter and the emulsion broke! I added some lemon juice and it helped. Then the cream and then lastly the glucose! I don't think it is the best. He said to caramelize to 175 C but at this temp my sugar was not completely caramelized... I will use your recipe, on Sunday. I really appreciate your sharing! Today was not a good day! My white choc vanilla ganache was too liquidy- and mt milk choc gamaches were too thick, and then the closing of the molds was not perfect.... Oish!

Thanks again!

Oh, one more thing, can I call this chocolate "Caramel Mark"? I will use a link to your site on it.  Is that good? That is pretty cool here, people love it when things have English names!!

Sure, the idea kind of makes me chuckle.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Sure sorry it was so unclear! The is a mold from mol d'art of squirrels. 6 altogether. Now alon one side of the mold is the back of the squirrel and it is deeper than the other one opposite it, which is the fron of the squirrel and more flat although there is a small area in the flatter one that is a bit deep. So I don't know if these are to be fliied with something and then put together and also, what is the best way to put them together. I can take a photo if this is still confusing!!

Here is the picture of it from Mol D'Art:

Mol D'Art squirrel mold

Thanks Kerry!

Sure sorry it was so unclear! The is a mold from  mol d'art of squirrels. 6 altogether. Now alon one side of the mold is the back of the squirrel and it is deeper than the other one opposite it, which is the fron of the squirrel and more flat although there is a small area in the flatter one that is a bit deep. So I don't know if these are to be fliied with something and then put together and also, what is the best way to put them together. I can take a photo if this is still confusing!!

Here is the picture of it from Mol D'Art:

Mol D'Art squirrel mold

Thanks Kerry!

Couple of options. They look like a fairly large squirrel so would probably be nice as a hollow figure. In this case, paint the inside of the mold with tempered chocolate, fill part of one side of the mold, put the other side on top, clip together, then rotate until the chocolate is spread evenly around the inside of the mold.

If you want to fill with something, made a shell on both sides of the mold, fill both sides, spread a thin layer of tempered chocolate at the warm end of the range and very quickly (while still liquid) push the sides together. If you fill the shells with tempered gianduja you can just push the sides together while the gianduja is still liquid.

They come on a regualr  flat polycarb mould just like the regualr praline moulds so I can't clip them.

I've got clips that will hold those in place. I'll try to post a picture of them later today.

One trick is to push them together then sit them up on their side. That tends to keep them aligned.

I am confused big time. Maybe it is the glass of wine I am sipping on for the last hour while cooking our sabbath meal! I can only get the two parts together after I take them out of the mold. By then both sides are hard. Rubber bandsor clips will not work after the chocolate is demolded. It is like the molds of half spheres that you need to put together to make a circle after demolding.

I am confused big time. Maybe it is the glass of wine I am sipping on for the last hour while cooking our sabbath meal! I can only get the two parts together after I take them out of the mold. By then both sides are hard. Rubber bandsor clips will not work after the chocolate is demolded. It is like the molds of half spheres that you need to put together to make a circle after demolding.

Lior, mrose means that you stick the two molds together BEFORE the chocolate has set. Keep them together with the rubber band so that they stay aligned until you're ready to unmold them.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Lior - demould both sides when they are set. To stick them together:

- warm a baking pan/sheet in the oven to around 50 degrees celcius

- quickly rub the edge of each "squirrel" half in circular motion on the warm pan to gently melt a little bit of the chocolate on the edge

- then you can stick them together, hold them for a few seconds to let them set and you will have a hollow figurine

gallery_34671_3115_9075.jpg

Lior, these are the clips that can be used to hold together standard thickness double molds.

gallery_34671_3115_10017.jpg

So if you take a double mold, paint a thin layer of chocolate on the inside.

gallery_34671_3115_8316.jpg

Pour a quantity of chocolate into one side of the mold. Amount will be determined by trial and error.

gallery_34671_3115_4708.jpg

Clip together the molds (or use elastics as suggested). Turn the mold to distribute the chocolate evenly on the inside of the mold. Cool in fridge until the figure shrinks and separates from the mold.

gallery_34671_3115_10378.jpg

Turn out of the mold.

I see now. The problem? I have only one mould!!! I guess I will have to use Gap's suggestion until I get another! Too bad the guy in Mol D'Art didn't tell me!!! You live and learn!

if you only have one mold, i don't think the figures will be able to be stuck together unless they have the reverse included in the mold. if the shape is a sphere or egg, it works because the shape is the same. with the squirrels, you'll need a 'negative' to stick to itself...make sense? otherwise, i think these weren't made to be 3D and just meant to be backed flat.

I see now. The problem? I have only one mould!!! I guess I will have to use Gap's suggestion until I get another! Too bad the guy in Mol D'Art didn't tell me!!! You live and learn!

if you only have one mold, i don't think the figures will be able to be stuck together unless they have the reverse included in the mold. if the shape is a sphere or egg, it works because the shape is the same. with the squirrels, you'll need a 'negative' to stick to itself...make sense? otherwise, i think these weren't made to be 3D and just meant to be backed flat.

Lior

Can you post a picture of the mold? Do all the squirrels point in the same direction?

Mark

Edited by mrose (log)

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I have some molds with backs on one side and fronts on the other that double perfectly and others that don't. Really frustrating with egg molds that don't line up.