• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning with Coke

Soup

This weekend, we left corn on the stove until it smoked up the whole house, during my kids party. Don't know how long it was on the stove but corn and corn juice were burnt to a crisp and stuck on a bottom om a stainless steel pot. I've had this happen to me several times in the past and after some scrubing, i've thrown the pot out.

But this time I grabs for a coke on the refreshment table and poured it into the pot. Left it out over night and amazingly the next morning, the pot was as cleaner than its been in a couple of years. No scrubbing. All the black stuff came off with a rinse of cold water. I don't know why I had this idea but I thought I pass it along. Coke, may be the best cleaning product for pots.

Soup

Reminds me of the ol' Coke chain email... :wink:

Edited by Joe Blowe (log)

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.