• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: smallworld - Spring in Tokyo

I feel that I haven't done very much more than flying and landing since we lunched in Tokyo. While you have created all this! Now I just had to add a new thanks for the yummilunch in Nezu. My whole trip turned out to be a little stressful, but the Kushi-age and Blue Moon took care of me. Hantei in Nezu was the right place to be then, but nothings lasts forever, and tasty blogs are good substitutes.

I might've missed it in an earlier post, but what is the brand of your favorite peanut senbei?

I hope to be able to find some of these at my local Japanese grocery store.

My selections have often been hit or miss - I am not Japanese literate.  Sometimes, I can make out a few of the Kanji characters.  The last bag of senbei I bought has - as I believe it claims on the bag - 6000 seseame seeds on each cracker?

Really enjoyed your blog.

The maker is 七尾 which I think is pronounced "Nanao". Apparently made in Fukuoka prefecture, these are fairly widely available; I've seen them in two or three of the several supermarkets in my area. As Helen says, check the "fuddy duddy" aisle. Oh, and there's a package included in the snack picture near the bottom of page 5 (it's in the top row, second to right).

As for other types of senbei, you can never go wrong with age-sen (deep-fried senbei). They come in several types but the kind in that same snack picture (to the right of the peanut senbei) are a favourite.

Oh, here's an idea: the snacks available at Muji (Mujirushi Ryouhin) are pretty good and well priced, and some of the packages are smaller than usual to allow for easy sampling.

Happy snacking!

I feel that I haven't done very much more than flying and landing since we lunched in Tokyo. While you have created all this! Now I just had to add a new thanks for the yummilunch in Nezu. My whole trip turned out to be a little stressful, but the Kushi-age and Blue Moon took care of me. Hantei in Nezu was the right place to be then, but nothings lasts forever, and tasty blogs are good substitutes.

Nice to hear from you again! And that reminds me, time to get our lunch photos up in the Japan forum...

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Right! Nanao.

http://www.nanaoseika.co.jp/cracker.html

As for me, I like all sorts of senbei (sembei), except sweet and sugar-coated ones.

As for "snap", I had assumed that it was short for "snap my fingers"... Someone actually used that expression in the Japan Forum, regarding the sushi dinner I had. Learning new things every day!

I'd like to see you both in that thread in the Japan Forum, smallworld and nuppe!

This was a fantastic blog, thank you! As an aside, I've always appreciated cute boys who cook, and you are quite a cutie yourself... it's nice to be able to picture you when I read your posts now... so, thanks for the 'eye' candy!

Edit: Did that sound like I was hitting on BOTH of them? LOLZ, no, I'm just gunning for HER, I would never mess with another girl's boy!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06