• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Last few meals in Philly

RonV

After almost three years in Philly, a promotion at work has me on the move. The restaurant scene is certainly one of the things I'll miss most, and sappy as it sounds, it's due in large part to this board.

So, knowing I'm down to my last few meals, help me out. In the past week, I've already visited a few places I love - Osteria, DiNics, Szechuan Tasty House, Moriarty's for wings. Depending on work and move schedules I figure I've got about 4 meals left - 2 lunch and 2 dinner. I also figure I'll get down to Center City Pretzel Co., for pretzels right out of the oven. A few other favorites have been Ansill, Little Fish, Amada. Never got to Le Bec Fin or any of Laban's 4 bell spots, just never had a desire, but if there's a place I can't miss, let me know.

What I'd love from you guys - 4 meals left, what's the lineup? Don't need to be a tour of the most expensive places in the city, but I'd like to make the most of these last four. Think of what 4 meals would really send me off best. I think I've already nailed the four previous, and hell, might just repeat them, but maybe there are some spots I never hit up while here and would love your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Ron:

When are you leaving? I'd be delighted to mix you up a farewell cocktail, on me. Feel free to PM me your schedule. I'm off until next Wednesday but I'm in Wed-Saturday at Chick's. Let me know if I can help send you off in style.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

if i were leaving town, i would hit up matyson, ansill and southwark. three of my favorite places for various reasons. i'd do various ethnic restaurants if i knew the place i was going didn't have them, but those three would definitely be included.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

i left philly last august, and the places i miss the most are:

davio's (best steakhouse in philly, though my opinion is biased as i spent about 75 hrs a week there)

snackbar

southwark

ants pants cafe for breakfast

the good dog burger

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

If you want to have good brews and good pub fare one last time here, have one of those meals at the Grey Lodge in almost-Mayfair. I recommend the mussels in curry sauce, but just about everything on this pub's menu is first-rate and a great value for the price. Tell Scoats (the owner) I sent you if you go; he knows me from Phillyblog, here, and a few f2f encounters at the pub and at Mozaic in Frankford.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Ron, I think where you're heading might influence your choices, though certain picks (like DiNic's) are constants.

For example, if I was moving inland I'd tend to favor local fish -- you'll never see a fresh bluefish in Peoria, or Chicago, for that matter. Then again, if you're heading to the Heartland, no need to indulge in steaks here: I've yet to visit even a small Midwest city that doesn't have at least one excellent steak restaurant.

Me, I'd fill up on our indigenous fast food, as you have: roast pork sandwiches, cheese steaks, etc. I'd also go for the ethnic specialties I am less likely to encounter in my new home. And although some ethic foods are ubiquitious, like Italian, the versions in some areas leave much to be desired.

And, given that we're at the start of the beer fest activities, I'd make sure to enjoy the best of the bread you can drink. A visit to any of your favorite tappies would be in order, along with a pot of red mussels.

Speaking of bread, I'd add Sarcone's hoagies to my list, plus a couple of pieces of their Sicilian pizza. And being a Jersey born-and-bred kid, I'd make myself a Taylor's ham and cheese sandwich on a kaiser before leaving town. But maybe with a side of scrapple in honor of my adopted city for the past 29 years.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I was in Philly last September, and have to say that Tinto was as good as advertised. Not sure if locals agree, but I loved it and can't wait for Jose Andres' Chicago restaurant to open.

"A culture's appetite always springs from its poor" - John Thorne

I was in Philly last September, and have to say that Tinto was as good as advertised. Not sure if locals agree, but I loved it and can't wait for Jose Andres' Chicago restaurant to open.

You mean Jose GARCES.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks for all the responses. I realized after writing that the fact I'm moving to NY makes a big difference, since it's not like I'm moving to a food wasteland. So I guess I'm looking to hit up the Philly experiences I'll miss - hence the DiNics, Moriarty's, etc. Katie, I will absolutely take you up on that offer. I always promised the gf we'd get to your last stop and never made it, so we'll make our way to Chick's soon. I've already moved to NY but have my place in Philly for another few weeks, so I'm expecting to have a chance to enjoy about one more weekend's worth of meals.

Thanks for the reminder about Davio's. That remains one of my favorite meals, so I'll try to get there again. It also dawned on me that I've never gotten to either Sarcone's or John's Roast Pork, which I probably need to do, right? Add in a night at Chick's and it sounds like I've got my list. Should I have some extra time, I'll try to get to Ansill again for that Osso Bucco sandwich. One of the best things I've eaten in the past 3 years.

Thanks again to everyone and feel free to pile on to the list. The nice thing is I'm not moving across the country, and could always build a weekend away around eating and drinking my way around the city!