• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Delivery: Art Museum/Fairmount Area?

Siouxsie

Ordered the other evening from "Golden Chopstick" at 18th & Spring Garden. Very disappointed in all aspects, from soup to nuts (well, rather, soup to fortune cookies). Anyone know anywhere better for order-in Chinese? Doesn't need to be fancy, just decent and able to deliver the basics (soup, dumplings, General Tso's, etc.).

Thanks.

i work up in fairmount and we generally order from asia on the parkway. i should clarify that i'm not a huge fan of takeout chinese. but i can tell you this: they used to order from some storefront dump at like 16th & spring garden, and asia on the parkway is approximately 1000 times better than that.

Repeat after me: Szechuan Tasty House.

There is no other answer.

Do they deliver that far away?

They deliver to my apt. at 19th and callowhill.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

Repeat after me: Szechuan Tasty House.

There is no other answer.

Do they deliver that far away?

As far as I can tell, they deliver everywhere. The only caveat is that sometimes their weakest things are standards like General Tso's. I go for the super spicy stuff, but my girlfriend sticks closer to the basics, and they've been only hit-or-miss. There's a whole thread about it, but the Dumplings in Spicy Sauce, Golden Coins, Beef Fillet with Szechuan Style and 3 Pepper Chicken are all phenomenal.

As to places that can deliver the basics, I have yet to find one in Philly that I like nearly as much as the one I grew up with in the suburbs. Some of that is probably just what I'm used to, but the owner of our local place took a lot of pride in his restaurant. A lot of the places I've tried around here seem like they're just slapping it together because they know people will still order it even if it sucks.

i'm pretty sure they (STH) don't deliver to me (i asked when i was there) at 23rd and mt vernon but i will DEFINATELY check again, gee wouldn't that be a nice surprise!

failing that when we do order (which is rare since we found it not as good as chinatown and we found delivery mexican) we do asia on the parkway,square on square or trio (more thai than chinese). all are acceptable to good (light years better than golden chopstick)

i'm pretty sure they (STH) don't deliver to me (i asked when i was there) at 23rd and mt vernon but i will DEFINATELY check again, gee wouldn't that be a nice surprise!

failing that when we do order (which is rare since we found it not as good as chinatown and we found delivery mexican) we do asia on the parkway,square on square or trio (more thai than chinese). all are acceptable to good (light years better than golden chopstick)

I would definitely just call and place an order and see what happens. I don't think that the women who answer the phone have much grasp of city geography (or at least had never heard of Walnut St. when I started ordering), so unless the delivery driver (awesome guy, btw) balks, I think you'll skate by and get your order.