• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Festivals in the Maritimes

chromedome

As I've mentioned in other threads, I feel that the Maritimes could and should become a destination for gastronomic tourism. One piece of groundwork I'm laying right now is to locate as many existing events as possible, and try to get some networking/cross-promotion efforts in place.

If anyone knows of existing festivals or events across Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI, will you please post them in this thread? I already have the two I'm involved with, the Fundy Food Festival and Indulge NB, but am interested in anything else that's going on.

Thanks!

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Good idea for a thread, chromedome.

I'll post some food related events and dates for Nova Scotia when the 2008 "Doers and Dreamers" provincial travel guide comes out. It should be available soon.

There is an annual Mussel Festival in Englishtown, Cape Breton during the Canada Day weekend. There is a competitive cook-off as well and I don't mind saying that I came first in 2006 (and won a pot set) but sadly couldn't make it back in 2007 to defend my mussel crown. But I've hatched a plan to be back in '08 . . . with bivalves blazing!

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 2 weeks later...

The Fredericton Wine & Food Fest is always a great time, despite their lack of a proper website: http://www.diabetes.ca/section_regional/nb.asp#events

The one in Moncton is a much bigger deal: http://www.wineexpo.ca/

Others can be found here: http://www.nbliquor.com/festivals.asp

Thanks, chromedome, for all you efforts. I really hope the Maritimes have what it takes to step up in this regard.

• 1 month later...

Another festival taking place in Moncton is the Atlantic Seafood Festival. This event is held in August and has a number of events that takes place ranging from cooking demos, Downtown Street Party, Celebrity Chef Dinner and a Seafood Olympics. I have unfortunately not had the opportunity to attend one of these events myself and will be missing it again this year by a few weeks when I am back there this summer. :angry:

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

• 2 months later...