• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best oyster experience

DerekW

Your recommendations please, for the best [where for us that probably means something like: instructive, enjoyable, varied, good value] introduction to raw oysters in the Vancouver area.

I've trawled through the search results, read several Oyster threads [such as this one and this one through. There doesn't seem to be much new information posted in the last few years; has anything changed?

Rodney's? Joe Fortes? Somewhere else entirely? Let me stress please, we are raw oyster neophytes, looking for a positive first experience :smile:

Thanks

Derek

You can also try upscale Japanese restaurants, like Tojo's (avoid the average mom-and-pop sushi places, though!). I recently had some fabulous ones at Zest on W 16th, and have also had them at Shijo's on W 4th. Japanese restaurants may not offer fresh oysters every day, so it's a good idea to call ahead.

... they are also prone to frat boy antics and the music is painfully loud-....

Ah.

Should have specified. Please, no (a) frat boy antics or (b) painfully loud music. See

...enjoyable...
:biggrin:

Otherwise it was sounding good. Do we just need to pick a day/time when they're all relaxed and quiet? A Tuesday afternoon or some such?

... they are also prone to frat boy antics and the music is painfully loud-....

Ah.

Should have specified. Please, no (a) frat boy antics or (b) painfully loud music. See

...enjoyable...
:biggrin:

Otherwise it was sounding good. Do we just need to pick a day/time when they're all relaxed and quiet? A Tuesday afternoon or some such?

i've been to rodney's during a quiet afternoon. it was great! not busy. not loud. i could relax and enjoy my $40 lunch :biggrin:

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

If you can make it up to Whistler, Chris Field at the Bearfoot Bistro is one of the top oyster guys in the area. Some of the oysters come from his own farm. Provided he's not slammed, he's always willing to drop some knowledge.

I'm not sure if the deal is still available, but they used to have a promotion where you could get a dozen oysters for $10 from 3-6pm. That's a steal.

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

Forget Rodney's......

If you want your oysters served with a "Toronto" attitude, by all means, go there.

You will be served by "himbos" (male equivalent of bimbos).

Good looking but STUPID, enjoy, by all means.

If you want a positive attitude and one where you will actually learn something,

then go to Joe Forte's or to the Bearfoot.

But forget Rodney's (at least in Vancouver) go to the one in Toronto but forget Vancouver.

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

OK...it's been years so I don't even know this is information is still relevant: A few years ago, I had a most memorable night of oysters at Misaki - the sushi place at the Pan Pacific. I've been meaning to do it again...it just hadn't happened.

Edited by fmed (log)

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

Rodney's is fantastic, especially during their "Low Tide" times between 3 and 6 pm on Weekdays. This is their equivalent to happy hour. It's hardly ever busy then, prices are about half off, the staff is friendly and the food is always good.

But forget Rodney's (at least in Vancouver) go to the one in Toronto but forget Vancouver.

I just found that Rodney's in Toronto and Vancouver are no longer affiliated with each other. Tip off is that the Rodney's website makes no reference to the Vancovuer location.

It explains why my experience in Toronto was different (and to me, better) than Vancouver. The oysters are good and fresh at Rodney's in Vancouver - but I agree that you have to pick a quiet time to go. The frat boy element is pretty off the charts otherwise.

Thanks for all the input, folks. Rodney's generates some mixed responses, eh?

Perhaps we'll do this in a couple of months time when there might be less 'ski-season' traffic and pressure on Whistler.

I had my first raw experience at Joe Forte's and would definitely recommend it for a first timer. They had a large selection of oysters on the menu so I tried a few from the east coast and a few from the west coast.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

Hey,

I posted this response on a thread just a few weeks ago,

Yesterday's oyster list at So.Cial (that would be feb 7, 2008)

Kumamoto

Kusshi

Fanny Bay

Royal Miyagi

Summer Breeze

Effingham

Pacific Rim Petite

I like it at So.Cial, and they have $1.25 a shuck between 3-7pm. I have noticed that the "premium" oysters, which are not included in the oyster happy hour (i think they charge around $3/oyster?) are usually the smaller oysters which may be better for a beginner, but i still like going for oysters there!

$3 an oyster is over the top

Let me venture a guess.........

You're from Vancouver........

3 dollars an oyster is pretty much the standard price.

In Toronto, you would be paying anywhere between 3 and 6 dollars an oyster.

Too bad that BC residents don't appreciate what they have....

Till it's gone or exported for more money....

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

Three dollars an oyster is what restaurants call a 'star'. This means it makes money!

This allows the chef to put something more expensive on the menu for a lower price (called a 'dog', the local market will only bear so much ...) and maybe, just maybe, pay the guy shucking the oyster a living wage (probably not).

What does a Kir sell for at your favourite place? I bet the liquor and food cost are comparable. Figure out the cost of sales on these items.

-- Matt.

I actually like the casual feel of the "frat boy antics". Guess it depends on whether you're looking for walk-in casual, or something more upscale. But a late afternoon mid-week visit to R's was quiet enough for a business meeting last fall (we asked for upstairs).

If I have a bigger budget, Fortes has the edge, due to patio, wine list, service. Or, if you're into leaving the downtown core... Monk's, at Stamps Landing, usually has 3 or 4 kinds of oysters, for under $3.

Karen Dar Woon