• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Quenellable" lemon curd: any ideas?

aidensnd2

You could use .5 to 1.5% xanthan gum. You could even add up to 15% white chocolate and vary the ratio of xanthan gum to play with texture. The xanthan gum will give you stability with flexability, so to speak. A little pectin(.25-.75%) would also give stability, but too much would alter the texture of a traditional lemon curd. Methylcellulose would let you do it hot(.5-1%). A gum blend might help. Check out TIC Gums www.ticgums.com Let them know what you want to do and they'll make a suggestion. Very good people. Good luck. Let us know what you come up with.

Are you looking for something at room temp, or is refrigerated OK? The lemon curd I use, from Friberg's Professional Pastry Chef, seems to be firm enough to make quenelles with under refrigeration, anyway, though I haven't tried it myself. The only thickener in it is the egg: 8 eggs to 360 ml of lemon juice, plus sugar and a little butter.

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

That's my experience as well with PH's.  I think Chris' question about room temp v. chilled is key since I would much rather have a curd held together by the chilled butter.

That's a good point that I never thought of---it is the butter that causes it to firm up when cold. I never really questioned the functioning of the curd...

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

it's a lot more work but you could use a mold to form the shape and keep them chilled until service. Use bloomed gelatin, add it when the curd is still warm. Your mileage may vary but start with 3 sheets per 2 cupcs curd.

I haven't used PH's recipe, or the one in Friberg; I use the curd recipes from RLB to flavor buttercream with or pour over cheesecakes; when I need a tart recipe, I add some whole eggs (an all yolk curd is pretty intense IMO, good for when it will be "diluted" but you get tired of it if you are trying to eat your way through a 4" tart.)

I think Herme's lemon cream when refrigerated can be quite quenellable :smile:

That was my first thought as well although it thins out pretty quickly when stirred. You'd want to be very careful that it was handled as little as possible.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

This will be served cold. I love the PH curd, but it is too loose. As soon as you start working it it runs... I was tempted to try adding some Mycryo to it to get it to set up without the rubberiness of gelatin. Anyway, I tried Gale Gand's recipe today and I'll see how that is holding up tomorrow, it uses cornstarch and a bit of flour.Thanks

Sam Mason and Alex Stupak do sliceable curds but I've never read specifics on how they do it. I know the Ideas in Food folks were excited about it and did their own version, a sliceable grapefruit curd, with gelatin and it didn't look gummy at all in the pictures (probably has to do with the amount used). I can't imagine they'd be excited about a curd that was more like jello so they must have worked it out. I have no idea if it could be quenelled, looks like maybe it could though. I wonder if something like a little ultrasperse would do it? Hmmmm.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Bring the lemon and the sugar to a boil with agar powder before adding the yolks. Once its chilled, process in vitamix like a fluid gel, then chill again. It should be fine. I always substitute part of the butter for white chocolate in my curds, and it seems to keep them from running on the plate too.

Bring the lemon and the sugar to a boil with agar powder before adding the yolks. Once its chilled, process in vitamix like a fluid gel, then chill again. It should be fine. I always substitute part of the butter for white chocolate in my curds, and it seems to keep them from running on the plate too.

Any idea what ratio of agar to use?

Any idea what ratio of agar to use?

I think my recipe called for 6g per 600ml of juice, so around 1%.