• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Life as a Foodie...............

chefzimm

Ok, here goes!! This is my first discussion started and I hope someone responds to this. I just wanted to know how many other people out there are hopeless foodies?? Hopeless in the manner that you live, eat and breate food, wine and the food arts. My life, for example revolves around everything to do with food, wine and the arts. I work for one of the top bakeries in the south and I am helping to create the catering side of our business and spend all day working with beautiful cakes and pastries and planning out new catering and restaurant menu's. I then come home and watch food network, read Food&Wine and log on to EGullet to just get all my further information. My family trips involve going to places like the Jack Daniels stilleries and wineries and different food plants. I love food and cooking food and having my entire life revolve around food. I just want to know if anyone else is hopelessly devoted to food.

It sounds like you have been a member of the club for some time, but welcome to the eGullet Society, created for people such as yourself!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

You have found your tribe :rolleyes:

ETA: chefzimm~

tell us a little about yourself....where you are, what you love....and start posting (with pictures) to the dinner thread (among others). You bet you'll find like minded people here. :wink:

Kathy (who doesn't post pictures anywhere near enuf to the dinner thread :sad: )

Edited by dockhl (log)

I'd say that for sure many, if not most, of us here fit into that category.

For myself, I only WISH I could be equally as involved in something else.

Like, say, exercise for example.

In fact, last month while standing in front of the magazine rack at my local bookstore drooling over the latest issues of the food magazines, I made a determined effort. I took home a copy of "Self" instead - all about heath and exercise and buying the trendiest workout ensembles.

And I actually did thumb through it a time or two.

But finally gave up and tossed it and went back to the bookstore and gave into temptation, coming home with the current issues of every food magazine the store had.

Sigh.

:cool:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm not exactly a foodie... I enjoy cooking, but I don't have the time or the money to go the extent that most foodies do. With 4 kids, fine dining isn't something I do often. That said, they've all dined in Zagat and Michelin rated restaurants. I don't even really like wine. The appeal of alcohol frankly baffles me.

I have a nearly lifelong hobby of watching cooking shows and collecting and reading cookbooks. I love going through farmers markets, exploring ethnic markets, and eating at hole in the wall taquerias, pho restaurants and Chinese restaurants.

I grew up in a multicultural family, in multicultural neighborhoods...

Cheryl

Welcome aboard my friend!

I personally spend my days reading, writing, watching, cooking food. I cannot say I have ever been to a real high end fine dining establishment, like French Laundry, but I hope to one day. I am not sure fine dining is required to be labeled a "foodie", but I am damn picky about what to cook and eat, and I do eat adventurously.

Welcome home chefzimm!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

ETA: chefzimm~

tell us a little about yourself....where you are, what you love....and start posting (with pictures) to the dinner thread (among others). You bet you'll find like minded people here. :wink:

I am a 23 year old husband and father of two beautiful children ages 16 mos and 2 mos. While totally involved with my family I am an executive chef in the northshore area of New Orleans. Currently I am working for the top bakery in the area and learning tons about cakes and pastries. Mostly stuff I don't have much experience with. My life revolves around my children and my wife. Who happens to be a pastry chef as well and a very talented one at that. Anywho, children call. thanks

Welcome aboard my friend!

I personally spend my days reading, writing, watching, cooking food. I cannot say I have ever been to a real high end fine dining establishment, like French Laundry, but I hope to one day. I am not sure fine dining is required to be labeled a "foodie", but I am damn picky about what to cook and eat, and I do eat adventurously.

Welcome home chefzimm!

Being a foodie doesn't revolve around fine dining and eating at super chic restaurants. It merely means you have a love obsession with food and wine and beverage. I know plenty of foodies who are homemakers who have loved to cook for their families their whole lives.

The only trouble is that it interferes in some social situations. E.g., people want to go to lunch at the worst places, and I have to choose between mediocre filler and dining alone. I choose the latter! Why waste a meal?

I think about food more than I probably should, but it's about quality and not quantity. I want my bites to be wonderful. Not all perfection, but good bites.

Finish one meal and begin planning the next. I spend hours perusing cookbooks to find the best recipe. Stuff like that. I'm not as into wine, but I have four kids, so good wine is right out for a few more years.

Proudest moment of my life is when the light dawns on one of my kids and they get that quality matters.

Blog.liedel.org

Interesting to see this topic today because last night I found myself eating in front of the T.V. (done often, the coffee table is cleared of books and set, the bird likes eating there, it works) watching Alton Brown, eating a plate of thinnish spaghetti and meatballs ordered in from the Italian restaurant down the street and covered with freshly grated cheese, and reading the latest issue of Saveur, which is all about butter.

At some point, I said Stop the Madness, turned off the T.V., closed the magazine and finished my dinner.

In Weight Watchers this would be laughed at and then seriously discussed for behavior modification.

However, I do accept it as part of a beautiful obsession that has brought me hours of fun, education, expanded political consciousness, improved relationships with others, and quick friends.

Does it get better?

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Chefzimm, just curious... can you identify how far back in your life this goes?

We've had threads on this type of thing before, and some have touched on early experiences. I can remember various moments in childhood when I realized that food was a different kind of thing for me than it seemed to be for others I knew.

What can you report? Welcome aboard, by the way.

My favorite day in the last few weeks was a Saturday rummaging around various markets. I used to go to them frequently, but with the price of gas I have not been able to justify the jaunt. Started with a big Chinese market to get frozen potstickers (pork/leek/green onion), fresh rice noodles for pho and whole fish. Then to the value market that caters to the local ethnic populations. Lovely fragrant tamarind pods, still pliable assorted dried chilis in bins, lots of interesting candies and sodas for the teenagers, and then on to the Korean market for amazing vegetables. There were lots of other items that were fascinating and appealing. It was like a mini vacation and I felt so refreshed and energized. My kind of day.