• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

David Rosengarten's newsletter

mcohen

There are previous threads on this. While Rosengarten's style is over the top and he can come across as a shill, the products he touts are genuinely excellent, at least in my experience. That includes the products he sells. While they might be a tad expensive, the quality is there. I bought some incredible smoked salmon and a great ham through him this past holiday season. The money was well spent. Is it cheesey? Yes, somewhat. Pathetic? Not in the least. BTW, I used to subscribe to it, but no longer do as I found I was spending way too much money! :laugh: I never did regret buying any of his recommendations, though.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

John~

That is really good info. I automatically shift+delete most of them 'cause they seem so.....smarmy.

That having been said, I really wish he would come back and do "Taste" again. I might watch TV. (Altho I AM looking forward to the new Top Chef ---guilty pleasure :rolleyes: )

K

I subscribed for a couple years, but I just couldn't stand the tone of the newsletter. He was just so ebullient about everything... it got really annoying, really fast.

If he isn't ebullient about the product, it doesn't make it to his newsletter. It does make it seem smarmy, but he is emphasizing the things he is positive about rather than the negative. While it has the tone of an infomercial, he really does recommend good stuff. he is also able to occasionally get truly good deals for his subscribers. His newsletter is unique so far as I know. I have no idea whether he gets a cut from sales of things he recommends that are not his own products, however, it doesn't really matter to me so long as the stuff really is good...and it is.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Well, count me in as one who found it way too "infomercial-y" to take. I didn't renew my subscription. But I'm also somebody who wishes very much that he had made more seasons of "Taste".

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 1 month later...

I had a subscription for over year, but ended up canceling. I enjoyed it for a while, but 1) it became annoying and 2) I just wasn't interested in most of the things he was touting. I'd still read it if it were lying around, though.

I've ordered a few of his products, as well. The Kurobuta ham I found to be less expensive ordered directly from the source (Snake River Farms) and it was hands-down the best ham I've ever had (especially the bone-in). The olive oils were ok -- I bought better ones in Tuscany and his end up being fairly expensive over time. I asked for a refund on the turkey -- definitely not worth the $100 cost, though my cat really enjoyed eating the leftovers.

• 2 months later...

Rosengarten's food clubs are the biggest rip offs. I just got an email from him on Chilean olive oils, which of course are available through his food club for an astronomical amount. I found (and bought) them for less than half on the web.

I hate being ripped off. :wink:

• 4 months later...
Does anybody actually subscribe to it?

Is it as cheesy and pathetic as it seems to be?

Uh, no. I have not bought products from his store, but almost every product he recommends has been excellent, and there are some fine recipes. Yes, the tone is rather glowing, but so what? He provides useful information.

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

• 3 weeks later...
What happened to Rosengarten? How did he go from "Taste" and Dean & Deluca to something so cheesy? Did something happen to him on a personal level where it derailed a once promising career and banish him into doing informercials?

he's doing a bunch of things on www.devour.tv