• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perigee

GordonCooks

• 2 months later...
He's now at Eleven, according to the TO Star.

It didn't mention who's at Perigee now.

Cheers,

Geoff

I saw something about Garden @ Eleven. Same place??

Same place is my understanding.

Kitty corner from the main St Lawrence market building.

Cheers,

Geoff

It didn't mention who's at Perigee now.

Cheers,

Geoff

The 'new' chef is Chris Brown (son of the owner) who was formerly at la Creperie (also in the Distillery district). He was a sous at Perigee when it first opened.

Do you know if Perigee is continuing with the same concept, or are the now offering a la carte meals?

Cheers,

Geoff

Do you know if Perigee is continuing with the same concept, or are the now offering a la carte meals?

Cheers,

Geoff

Their website has been updated. It seems to be a la carte with a tasting menu option.

I'm unlikely to check it out - always felt it was way overpriced for what you get - especially the wine selection which was always disappointing. Occasionally I did have some decent food there - but I found it too highly priced for the quality delivered.

• 1 month later...
He's painting his house, according to today's Star.

The Garden @ 11 has closed.

Cheers,

Geoff

Is there a link (TheStar.com)?

Link is here. (Though I don't know how long it'll be active.)

Money quote:

Eleven was like a solid B report card from an A+ student. So, really, what was going on? During the usual follow-up phone call to Riley I discovered a bombshell.

The owners had sold the property, he said, and the restaurant would be closed in two days. So, as you read this review, my first for the Star, Garden@Eleven is no longer.

"My name was never supposed to be attached to the restaurant, on the menu or the website," Riley explains.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

He's painting his house, according to today's Star.

The Garden @ 11 has closed.

Cheers,

Geoff

Is there a link (TheStar.com)?

Link is here. (Though I don't know how long it'll be active.)

Money quote:

Eleven was like a solid B report card from an A+ student. So, really, what was going on? During the usual follow-up phone call to Riley I discovered a bombshell.

The owners had sold the property, he said, and the restaurant would be closed in two days. So, as you read this review, my first for the Star, Garden@Eleven is no longer.

"My name was never supposed to be attached to the restaurant, on the menu or the website," Riley explains.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

With all due respect, I find it difficult to believe that a renowned chef like Riley would quit Perigee (considered one of the top restaurants in TO) on good terms and take a job with a second rate restaurant that goes out of business because the owner, his friend, sold the land! And then he's now doing nothing but painting his house? This is too strange even if he's in some kind of mid life crisis!

With all due respect, I find it difficult to believe that a renowned chef like Riley would quit Perigee (considered one of the top restaurants in TO) on good terms and take a job with a second rate restaurant that goes out of business because the owner, his friend, sold the land!  And then he's now doing nothing but painting his house?  This is too strange even if he's in some kind of mid life crisis!

What - you mean I can't believe everything I read in the newspapers???????!

Of course, I was dumb enough to read the notice posted on the door of 'The Garden at 11' which said the landlord had taken possession of the premises for unpaid rent!

So maybe, because they're on such good terms, that Riley went back to Perigee to run the kitchen while the Browns were on their recent trip to Japan.

With all due respect, I find it difficult to believe that a renowned chef like Riley would quit Perigee (considered one of the top restaurants in TO) on good terms and take a job with a second rate restaurant that goes out of business because the owner, his friend, sold the land!  And then he's now doing nothing but painting his house?  This is too strange even if he's in some kind of mid life crisis!

The situation at 11 was that he was helping a friend in need - quite admirable imho.

• 4 weeks later...

Perigee under the new chef got a very positive review in last week's (might've been the week before's) TO Star.

Sounds like they're still doing good work despite chef Riley's departure.

Cheers,

Geoff

Perigee under the new chef got a very positive review in last week's (might've been the week before's) TO Star.

Sounds like they're still doing good work despite chef Riley's departure.

Cheers,

Geoff

Chris Brown worked with Pat for most of Pat's tenure (and at Avalon I believe). Highly skilled and just an all-around nice guy.

• 1 year later...

Chris Brown worked with Pat for most of Pat's tenure (and at Avalon I believe). Highly skilled and just an all-around nice guy.

GordonCooks, not sure if you've been following Chris Brown since Perigee closed. He is now the Chef at the Stop. I had a great dinner at a special event a the Stop a couple weeks ago, and even though around 30 people were served dinner at the same time, the salad (involving arugula,basil, black radish, raw artichoke,yogurt dressing) and dessert (lemon curd tart with preserved grapes and Italian meringue, with rhubarb sorbet) were better than what I've been served at most upscale TO restaurants over the last year. Highly recommend attending one of the special events at the Stop there if you happen to be in TO. http://www.thestop.org/events

There is a monthly Food for a Change event- maybe the July 15th event would work with your itinerary (or maybe you're already planning to attend!) http://enterprises.thestop.org/food-for-change

the Stop's twitter feed: http://twitter.com/TheStopCFC

Edited by phoenikia (log)

• 1 year later...