• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

pat_00

Baozi recipes...

84 posts in this topic

51KF8T7595L__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Happy to hear you like it. The books are ok but, like I said, they're not cheap (RMB 80 each*) and the English isn't completely polished (although it's a pretty good job). The water measurements in the soup book seem way off (3/4 of a cup of water for a soup with no stock or any other liquid?!?) and the Guo Ta Dou Fu (tofu coated with egg) recipe drives me spare, for example. I had to have my wife go thru that one and translate the Chinese (and am doing my own, better, easier and tasier one now anyway).

The books seem to contain recipes that they think foreigners would like. There's a not a lot of heat and one (perhaps several) of them even requires an oven.

* = If memory serves there are only fifty recipes in each book, one side of the page is a photo (which isn't always an exact rendition of the recipe) the other side the recipe in Chinese and English. The descriptions at the bottom of the recipe are usually funny. 'The dish is shiny and delicious' for example. They're printed on laminated paper which is nice (and is surely one reason for the high cost), I can put them next to the stove and stir-fry away and just wipe them off with a towel when I'm done.

Oh, since I'm going on about the subject I might as well add that the 'Family Banquet' book doesn't seem to have any new recipes, they're all contained within the other eight books of the series. Also, some of the books mention a tenth book about how to do carving but I've never seen it for sale. Perhaps the English was too convoluted? A pity as I bought a box of carving tools (US $5) but have no idea as to how to use them. Would probably just wind up cutting myself, I'm pretty good about that!

Edited by Big Joe the Pro (log)

Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?

I would definitely go with parchment as well. I tried making some plain steamed buns last week. Used wax paper as per the recipe and the buns stuck to the paper a little. I used a different recipe for the second batch and used parchment and it did not stick at all. For baozi, not sticking is important as I just hate it when the paper sticks and pulls the bottom off. Parchment can go in the freezer without a problem.

Will probably get my hands on making some baozi once I finish the plain buns. Those 40 buns are taking up space in my small freezer at the moment. :wacko:

I made 50 of these last week and tried to document the process:

http://www.hillmanweb.com/soos/food/baos.html

I use cupcake liners and they work better than wax paper. There is a little dough left on the paper but never enough to break the seal and make the bao leak.

I am lazy; I don't want to cut parchment :raz:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I make mine like sheng jian bao. Don't have to deal with cutting paper squares or muffin liners that way.

I don't know if this is quite proper, but here is a Japanese lazy panfried baozi recipe...the idea is obviously to imitate the fluffy type of dough. The texture is different but it does make for a quick, tasty snack.

Dough (supposed to make 6 small dumplings)

150-160 g flour

2 t baking powder

2 T sugar

0.5 t salt

80 ml milk

1 T Chinese sesame oil (i.e. toasted sesame oil, not the middle eastern kind)

Mix wet into dry ingredients. Knead quite well, allow to rest covered 15 minutes.

Filling (whatever you like, this isn't what I actually used)

150 g ground pork

1 dividing onion, chopped finely

2 dried shiitake or Chinee black mushrooms, soaked and minced finely (reserve water if you want)

3 T finely minced bamboo shoot

1 t each of grated fresh ginger, oyster sauce, sugar

2 t soy sauce (I think that's too much...I tend to use a splash of nam pla, a pinch of salt, and maybe 1/2 t soy sauce, with or without oyster sauce. Miso or other Chinese seasoning pastes are also possible)

1 T sake or other rice wine

Mix altogether very thoroughly with hands until pasty.

Divide dough into 6, pat out on your hand (between layers of wrap if you like), dump a teaspoonful of filling in the middle and close up the baozi as usual.

When all the baozi are ready, heat a fryingpan to medium-hot, pour in a little oil, line up the baozi leaving plenty of space, pour over 150 ml hot water (top up the shiitake liquid with hot water if you like) and put the lid on. Steam 3 minutes.

Turn heat down, steam a further 5-6 minutes and then remove lid. Turn heat up for just 10 seconds to crisp up the bottoms, and serve.

Here's the formula I've been using for baozi. It makes a more northern style dough. Definitely not cakey. I think the addition of the baking powder lets me underproof the dough a little after forming the bao so the pleats look better after cooking.

100 Bread Flour

2 Yeast

2 Oil/Fat

2 Sugar

1 Salt

1 Baking Powder

60 Water

Mixing method: Straight Dough

http://thetincook.blogspot.com/2011/05/chicken-and-blackmushroom-baozi.html with pic from my first attempt.

We can be generous with the filling whereas restaurant's will try to fill you up with dough. :wink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

What units are the ingredients in?

It's bakers percentages.

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      Introduction

I spent the weekend in western Hunan reuniting with 36 people I worked with for two years starting 20 years ago. All but one, 龙丽花 lóng lì huā, I hadn’t seen for 17 years.  I last saw her ten years ago. One other, 舒晶 shū jīng, with whom I have kept constant contact but not actually seen, helped me organise the visit in secret. No one else knew I was coming. In fact, I had told Long Lihua that I couldn’t come. Most didn’t even know I am still in China.

I arrived at my local station around 00:20 in order to catch the 1:00 train northwards travelling overnight to Hunan, with an advertised arrival time of 9:15 am. Shu Jing was to meet me.

When I arrived at the station, armed with my sleeper ticket, I found that the train was running 5 hours late! Station staff advised that I change my ticket for a different train, which I did. The problem was that there were no sleeper tickets available on the new train. All I could get was a seat. I had no choice, really. They refunded the difference and gave me my new ticket.

The second train was only 1½ hours late, then I had a miserable night, unable to sleep and very uncomfortable. Somehow the train managed to make up for the late start and we arrived on time. I was met as planned and we hopped into a taxi to the hotel where I was to stay and where the reunion was to take place.

They had set up a reception desk in the hotel lobby and around half of the people I had come to see were there. When I walked in there was this moment of confusion, stunned silence, then the friend I had lied to about not coming ran towards me and threw herself into my arms with tears running down her face and across her smile. It was the best welcome I’ve ever had. Then the others also welcomed me less physically, but no less warmly. They were around 20 years old when I met them; now they are verging on, or already are, 40, though few of them look it. Long Lihua is the one on the far right.

Throughout the morning people arrived in trickles as their trains or buses got in from all over China. One woman had come all the way from the USA. We sat around chatting, reminiscing and eating water melon until finally it was time for lunch.

Lunch we had in the hotel dining room. By that time, the group had swelled to enough to require three banqueting tables.

Western Hunan, known as 湘西 xiāng xī, where I was and where I lived for two years - twenty years ago, is a wild mountainous area full of rivers. It was one of the last areas “liberated” by Mao’s communists and was largely lawless until relatively recently. It has spectacular scenery.

Hunan is known for its spicy food, but Xiangxi is the hottest. I always know when I am back in Hunan. I just look out the train window and see every flat surface covered in chilis drying in the sun. Station platforms, school playgrounds, the main road from the village to the nearest town are all strewn with chillis.

The people there consider Sichuan to be full of chilli wimps. I love it. When I left Hunan I missed the food so much. So I was looking forward to this. It did not disappoint.

So Saturday lunch in next post.
    • By liuzhou
      I was recently asked by a friend to give a talk to a group of around 30 first-year students in a local college - all girls. The students were allowed to present me with a range of topics to choose from. To my joy, No. 1 was food! They wanted to know what is different between western and Chinese food. Big topic!

Anyway I did my best to explain, illustrate etc. I even gave each student a home made Scotch egg! Which amused them immensely.

Later, my friend asked each of them to write out (in English) a recipe for their favourite Chinese dish. She has passed these on to me with permission to use them as I wish. I will post a few of the better / more interesting ones over the next few days.

I have not edited their language, so please be tolerant and remember that for many of these students, English is their third or fourth language. Chinese isn't even their first!

I have obscured some personal details.

First up:

Tomato, egg noodles.

Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 1 serving

For the noodle:

1 tomato
      2 egg
      5 spring onions

For the sauce:

1 teaspoon sesame oil
      1 tablespoon sugar
      ½ teaspoon salt

Method:

1. The pot boil water. At that same time you can do something else.

2. Diced tomato. Egg into the bowl. add salt and sugar mixed. Onion cut section.

3. Boiled noodles with water and cook for about 5 minutes.

4. Heat wok put oil, add eggs, stir fry until cooked. Another pot, garlic stir fry the tomato.

5. add some water to boil, add salt, soy sauce, add egg

6. The tomato and egg sauce over noodle, spring onion sprinkled even better.

More soon.
    • By zend
      I just bought these greens from the neighborhood Asian grocery. Had them once in China as a salad, and they tasted exceptional - a bit peppery like arugula, yet much more subtle and fresh, with hints of lemon.
      Store lady (non-Chinese) could not name them for me other than "Chinese greens".
      Any help identifying them is greatly appreciated

• By liuzhou
      China's plan to cut meat consumption by 50%

I wish them well, but can't see it happening. Meat eating is very much seen as a status symbol and, although most Chinese still follow a largely vegetable diet out of economic necessity, meat is still highly desirable among the new middle classes. The chances of them willingly giving it up, even by 50%, seems remote to me.
    • By JohnT
      I have been asked to make Chinese Bow Tie desserts for a function. However, I have never made them, but using Mr Google, there are a number of different recipes out there. Does anybody have a decent recipe which is tried and tested? - these are for deep-fried pastry which are then soaked in sugar syrup.