• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NY Food Tour / Spring Break '08

anthonybishopric

You really did a phenomenal job with your posts and your eating. Well done and thanks for sharing!

Just one question:

I did try the recommended white tuna salad, and it was very nice.

White tuna salad? Not whitefish salad?

You really did a phenomenal job with your posts and your eating.  Well done and thanks for sharing!

Just one question:

I did try the recommended white tuna salad, and it was very nice.

White tuna salad? Not whitefish salad?

That was the only white(fish) salad they had. Was that not it?

eat();

Spring Break '08 - First culinary tour of NY

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I don't know if they have tuna salad (one of my least favorite foods in the entire universe). I've only had (and loved) their whitefish salad, which is made from smoked whitefish, and like I said, crack cocaine. No tuna. It really doesn't matter. What an amazing week you had! You hit almost all of my favorite places in the city. Really, great job.

Thank you for the great tour! I'm currently here on business (which is usually bad for prospecting the foodie haunts), but so far its been ok.

I had the awesome marrow at Blue Ribbon in Soho, and then in my wanderings back to Midtown I had a slice of Ray's Original and ultimately some custard at Shake Shack. And then my feet were tired. :laugh:

Definitely a good evening, and I haven't yet decided if I'm going to go for a blowout meal while here or just nibble on the many unique little places.

Oh, how about the best freakin' pull of espresso in Midtown? I'm sick of seeing Schtahbuks everywhere. So far the verdict based on quick research is Zibetto.

Andrea

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Thank you for the great tour!  I'm currently here on business (which is usually bad for prospecting the foodie haunts), but so far its been ok.

I had the awesome marrow at Blue Ribbon in Soho, and then in my wanderings back to Midtown I had a slice of Ray's Original and ultimately some custard at Shake Shack.  And then my feet were tired.  :laugh:

Definitely a good evening, and I haven't yet decided if I'm going to go for a blowout meal while here or just nibble on the many unique little places.

Oh, how about the best freakin' pull of espresso in Midtown? I'm sick of seeing Schtahbuks everywhere.  So far the verdict based on quick research is Zibetto.

Andrea

Zibetto's in midtown and the espresso was pretty killer. It's a very small store, and very businessy, and there aren't any seats. I wouldn't go if you want to sit down and chat for an hour with somebody (in which case you might fight it advisable to head up to Sabarsky). Hope that helps!

eat();

Spring Break '08 - First culinary tour of NY

Ditto. It's long and narrow. On one side is a standing-height counters and on the side side is standing-height table-shelves things jutting out of the wall. But there are hooks for bags and coats underneath, which is the nice. The espresso is excellent. Smooth, tasty.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Zibetto's in midtown and the espresso was pretty killer.

While I agree it's the best in midtown it isn't as good as 9th St, Grumpy's, Everyman, Abraço, or Gimme. You don't get the same level of obsessive care about all the little details you do at the other great espresso places in the city. If you want to geek out over espresso you should go elsewhere.