• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

home curing supplies

What exactly are you looking for? Casings? Seasonings? Chemicals?

It'd be easier to direct you if you were a bit more specific.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Try www.sausagesource.com.

They sell all manner of sausagemaking supplies.

Good luck!

Barb

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict

For fresh casings locally, I'd check with the usual suspects, like D'Angelo's or Fiorella's in the Market, that make a lot of their own living off of sausages.

Otherwise, I think Barb has nailed the best online source for anything else you might need.

Of course a chat with the butchers at either Krakus Market in Port Richmond or the butchers at Bell's Market in the Northeast probably wouldn't be time poorly spent either. Those are two of the best sources for fresh sausages I've seen and I'm sure they might be of some assistance, if you caught them when they weren't too busy to chat.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

For fresh casings locally, I'd check with the usual suspects, like D'Angelo's or Fiorella's in the Market, that make a lot of their own living off of sausages.

You can definitely buy sausage casing in the Italian Market; I've done it. But I'm not quite remembering just where... it was at one of the joints on the north end, but not D'Angelo's. Just ask around; somebody will have them.

For just sausage casings, you can get them at pretty much any of the butchers specializing in pork in the Italian market and maybe even in your own neighborhood. In a pinch, I've even bought fairly decent ones, frozen in a container, at ShopRite!

Mmmm... this has put me in the mood for homemade chorizo.

Barb

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict

An excellent online source that I use for my sausage making supplies is Butcher & Packer.. They sell everything that you would ever need for sausage making, meat curing, etc. Outstanding service and speedy delivery (I placed an order 2 days ago that was delivered an hour ago via UPS standard delivery).

Best of all, their prices consistently beat any other online source that I'm familiar with. My recent order included 1 lb each of PP1 and PP2. Their price was $2 per pound versus $6 to $9 per pound elsewhere.