• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gary's Wine and Marketplace

adegiulio

On my way down Rt. 23 this morning, I saw a billboard advertising a new Gary's store on Rt 23 north. A few more miles down the road and I saw the site. I will be taking over the space of the old Treasure Island store. I'm a fan of Gary's, both for their wine selection as well as their gourmet foods. A welcome addition to the Wayne environment...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Gary's is a terrific store. BUT. I was in Madison tonight for dinner with friends, so I stopped in to Gary's to buy a bottle of wine. I figured I'd grab a bottle of Menage a Trois Rouge, one of my favorite under-$10 bottles. Having just purchased some at Total within the last week, I knew they were getting less than $9 per bottle. At Gary's, it was $13.99. Needless to say, I went with something else. Just sayin'.

Corrado's is also opening in Wayne, btw...they have a sign in the Clifton store that says they're opening in April, so there will be lots of new food/wine shopping in that part of the world!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 4 weeks later...

It was great to check in recently and find these posts about our arrival in Wayne. Needless to say, we're excited about opening in such a dynamic, high-visibility location. We’d been searching for a third location for more than a year, and this site is perfect, with easy access from all the major routes plus plenty of parking. This will be our biggest store —24,000 square feet. We'll have a wine tasting bar; a superb selection of organic and biodynamic wines; rare wine room; specialty market with fresh organic milk, butter, and eggs; fresh cut flowers; and an expanded gourmet foods area. Our doors will open in early-to-mid April.

Stop by and introduce yourselves once we're open; I expect to be spending a lot of time in the new location. Let me know you're from eGullet and you'll get a 23% case discount.

And Curlz, sorry you were disappointed in the Menage a Trois Rouge pricing. Gary's has it on sale now for $9.99; thanks for the suggestion.

Hope to see you all soon!

# # #

Hi Gary, thanks for popping your head in to eGullet. I'm very excited about the opening and plan on being a frequent customer. Will you be selling d'Atragnan products at the store?

Say hi to Lou Manzo for me

Anthony

• 3 weeks later...

Just got an email saying that the new Gary's store is opening today at noon. That was fast!

Quite a nice selection your store has Gary. Though some reason your website seems quite clustered for me to navigate.

Was wondering if your stores carry FRV 100's, could not find it on your website nor any local stores around me. It's quite an inexpensive sparkling rose, though quite refreshing in this warm spring/summer climates.

I live in Parsippany (MoCounty), searched Bottle King as well as Shop Rite though to my avail no luck, had it a couple times while I was attending school up in upstate NY (hyde park).

I’m finally getting a chance to pop back in. The response to the Wayne store has been phenomenal! I’m excited that its size has given us the ability to expand our selection even more. Anthony, you’ll be pleased to see that we do carry d’Artagnan products. Drop by and our gourmet associates will be happy to help you find them. And, as always, if we don’t carry a wine on our shelves, we will be happy to try to find it for you. So come in and we’ll work with you to find the FRV 100’s. And if you mention our Route 23, 23% off sale, you’ll get 23% off any case of wine we carry (excluding sale items). Come in soon the sale ends Apr. 27.

Don’t forget we have wine tastings every day from 3:00 to 8:00 and 12:00 to 4:00 on Saturdays!

Our website is very extensive and we’re always working on it. If you have specific suggestions, email us at info@garyswine.com. We love feedback.

Have a great day and please stop by our Wayne store to see us soon!

Went to your store for the first time on Saturday, the Madison location. Very nice store, quite large and extensive selection.

Attentive staff and good service. Was also surprised they have a little pre-made food area, quite a nice touch.

I visited the store this afternoon-

I was a little disappointed

I prefer total wine in riveredge

Just curious-what was disappointing? The selection? Prices? Do tell! I'm probably going to be over that way this weekend.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Well...I am not supposed to drink but that could be somthing to do Saturday....

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I visited the store this afternoon-

I was a little disappointed

I prefer total wine in riveredge

Just curious-what was disappointing? The selection? Prices? Do tell! I'm probably going to be over that way this weekend.

the selection was not as large as i expected-

i didn't find the sales ppl falling over me to try to help and

the d'artangan product selections are better at the king's in cresskill-

We stopped in on Saturday, nice cheese selection and if we werent just starting a day of errands I would have grabbed some of the Vitamia pasta and perhaps some Cia Bella, Key lime with graham cracker looked good. I asked the kid at the bakery counter if the product was from Plaza Sweets but he only knew the distributors name...pretty sure it was Plaza Sweets product though :wub: I kept my distance from the lemon bars Mmmm.

We requested a Lindemans product and hubby got some beer and we were off. Be back soon though.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 1 month later...

we had to go down 23 to a new eye doctor for johnnybird. i was navigating and as we got closer to the doctor's office i saw the new store was just up the road on our way home. whoo-hoo!!! so one poor johnnybird, wearing sunglasses since his eyes were so dilated, and i went to have a look see.

good take away section and j. emmanuel chocolates like the madison store but the cheeses.....

med_gallery_4006_121_101755.jpg

our snack friday for our 5pm programs. this is john's plate. fresh fig, homemade foccaccia, Bayley Hazen Blue, Fiscalini (though they had this misspelled on the tag)Bandaged Cheddar and jamon iberico. the cheddar is rich and grassy but it is the blue that lingers on the palate with whisps of grass and nuts and finally the "blue" of the penicillium. the jamon... they cut us both a slice at the store and i didn't want to eat it because it was so good...if that makes sense.

compared to the madison store this is expansive and very open and welcoming.

i thought the selection of beers and wines were outstanding and they had a fairly decent champagne/sparkling wine choice. very attentive staff and i connected with another woman who is a bourbon girl. i got her card and the next time i go up to visit the inlaws i'll let her know and see if she wants me to bring back a bottle or two from arlington wine and liquors which happens to have a dynamite small batch bourbon collection.

hate to say it but i can't wait for the next eye doctor appointment.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I've been very happy with this new store since it opened. The prices are quite good, as long as you only buy "sale" items (looks like about 1/2 the wines are always on sale) if you are purchasing less than a case. There's a 20% discount on the 'non-sale' items in a mixed case. Last week they sent an email increasing this to 23% and I got a great price on some items I had not seen on sale there.

I can't vouch for the higher end wines, but the values I got between about $8.00 and $30.00 are good.

On the other hand, I wouldn't really chance the staff at the cheese/deli counter to properly slice the Iberico ham.