• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate modeling dough

Lior

Hello! I can't find the thread that Gfron had on Sushi... I want to make some for a family occasion and have been experimenting. I thought to make the nori from chocolate dough made of 340g dark choc and 4 tablespoons of corn syrup. My problem is that the dough hardens fast and I keep having to zap it with a hairdryer in order to roll it. Also I make strips of about 6 cm and the sushi is a bit small perhaps. ai filled it with a white chocolate ganache mixed with wasabi and sushi rice, cut up dried mango and valrhona pearls. It is nice but not perfect and the major issue is the hardening of the "dough" Does anyone have some badly needed advice?

Thank you!!!

"Ask and you shall receive :)"

From your mouth to God's ears!!

I thoroughly enjoyed the links!! Yours looked devine. I am looking for advice on the chocolate nori. Did yours harden fast? WOuld you mind sharing your chocolate nori recipe? As I said before, mine is melt 12 oz dark chocoalte- I used70% and then mix in 4 oz corn syrup. Put in nylon stretch and refridgerate for 2 hours. Then knead, roll out etc. Mine was as hard as a rock when I took it out of the fridge and it took forever to become pliable. When pliable it was great, only of course it would harden really fast. So this is my issue. I do still want to use chocoalte nori, and I don't know if there is an Asian store here, but I will check it out cause those neutral nori's sound cool- thanks for the info everyone!

Edited by Lior (log)

Trying to get me to remember something that happened 2 years ago is like trying to keep my hound quiet when a cat walks past the house.

Here's what I wrote in the chocolate sushi topic

I used transfer paper for the nori to apply an design and sheen. The nori was made with 70% El Rey chocolate, inverted sugar, butter and sunflower oil (to make them non-tacky) for a great flexible yet cutable material.

As I seem to remember, the invert sugar was added at a higher proportion than you would expect, and then I countered with the sunflower oil for tackiness. That combination (sorry I don't remember proportions) allowed the chocolate to set up, but not be too hard to cut, but hard enough to pick up the transfer sheet design and be handle-able.

It was in my early eG days so I didn't document the moment very well.

"Ask and you shall receive :)"

From your mouth to God's ears!!

I thoroughly enjoyed the links!! Yours looked devine. I am looking for advice on the chocolate nori. Did yours harden fast? WOuld you mind sharing your chocolate nori recipe? As I said before, mine is melt 12 oz dark chocoalte- I used70% and then mix in 4 oz corn syrup. Put in nylon stretch and refridgerate for 2 hours. Then knead, roll out etc. Mine was as hard as a rock when I took it out of the fridge and it took forever to become pliable. When pliable it was great, only of course it would harden really fast. So this is my issue. I do still want to use chocoalte nori, and I don't know if there is an Asian store here, but I will check it out cause those neutral nori's sound cool- thanks for the info everyone!

When I have made chocolate clay. I used a bit more corn syrup approx 3/4 - 1 cup (can't find recipe at the moment) for 24 oz; ratio changes when made with white chocolate. I then wrapped it and let it sit overnight on the counter to cure (?). I'm not surprized that it is hard to work straight out of frig, thickens corn syrup right up. You also have to keep the piece not working with covered to prevent drying. This is what I had to do when taking pieces off inorder to make roses. Dries out fairly fast when done.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Okay! Thanks! I will add a bit more corn syrup and follow your instructions. I would roll it out paper thin and put my filling on and then when I want to roll it up, it is hard already. Perhpas the extra corn syrup will do the trick as well as the overnight on the counterthing. Great! Thanks!

Well I got the molding "clay" softer second time around. It wasstill a bit tough- I tried rolling it out paper thin. I couldnot get it thin enough- even by standing on the rolling pin and "walking on it to move it up and down... quite fun actually. All mymuscles ache from trying by hand. Luckily it is only for my sister in law. I had trouble connecting the end to the beginning, so it is not a perfect finish at all. I tried a few recipes for the rice and chose rice cooked in coconut milk with Tamarind syrup. Hmmm- still have to work on that... and another issue...

I covered it in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for lack of any other way to keep it for tomorrow and when I took it out to take a phot- it immediately began to sweat. Hope it won't be ruined for tomorrow!! How do you store chocoalte sushi?!

inside out sushi:

gallery_53591_4944_12271.jpg

and :

gallery_53591_4944_73484.jpg

kinda look like monster eyes!

Yes Iwilltry that next time. I ended dipping the inside out ones in white chocolate to keep it together better-just up to the surface. Despite how awful they looked they were a huge success. It amazes me what the crowds don't see! I need a pasta noodle wringer to get the dough thin enough. I will keep at it!

Thanks foryour input Gfron

what did you use for the "rice"? I've had success using a very flexible jelly roll cake which held it's shape pretty well...it was a little difficult to cut, but I found freezing it and then cutting with a serrated knife dipped in hot water made nice clean cuts...

I've also made the nigiri style sushi by making coconut cakes rolled in coconut and then making the fish out of raspberry jello with a little bit of cream. People go crazy over the stuff!

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

what did you use for the "rice"? I've had success using a very flexible jelly roll cake which held it's shape pretty well...it was a little difficult to cut, but I found freezing it and then cutting with a serrated knife dipped in hot water made nice clean cuts...

I've also made the nigiri style sushi by making coconut cakes rolled in coconut and then making the fish out of raspberry jello with a little bit of cream. People go crazy over the stuff!

you could use puffed rice cereal and marshmallow (a.k.a. rice crispy treats)

Thanks for the replies. For the rice in the above, I used sushi rice cooked in coconut milk and Tamarind syrup. I also used a bit of ganache in the center-white chocolate with Wasabi, and a few thin strips ofdried ginger and mango. I think I will do Nigiri with rice krispies and marshmellow. I thought about a homemade marshmellow using wasabi or something. Any ideas of what flavor marshmellow would be good? I have a chocolate fish mold and perhaps I could put that on top?

Making fish out of raspberry jelly! Do you use a mold to do that?

You are right. I don't know if I can find this matcha here though! I bought natural Rice krispies, no sugar as I can't get the regulat Rice Krispies but this is perhaps better as i won't be too sweet. I will do the rice krispy treats with a flavored marshmellow, then the chocolate fish on top. I am selling at a wine festival towards the end of the month. It would be nice to have some of my sushi line ready! I am also doing a wine ganache- still working on that recipe. When I reduce the wine it gets a bit of a yeasty taste which sometimes I like and other times not-how odd! Thanks!

Lior, I have been thinking about wine fillings, for local wineries and other business opportunities. I dont know if I would reduce the wine, it will change the taste, like when i make a beer filling I actually add the beer with the butter at the end whnt the ganache is around 35-40C , the beer flavor is nice and strong and the flavor is faboulous ( on eof the most popular ).

With wine you can also explore with wine jellies, I have tried only once , it was pretty tasti , but I need to get some good pectine to experiment with PDF.

Vanessa

I was concerned about water content with just adding some wine at the end. Also, do you think it would be winey enough? I guess one couldn't add more than 3 Tablespoons... I will give it a try. I also thought to get into that niche with local wineries. It seems good as it is by order and consistent! Let me know about yours and Iwill inform you about mine. Right now I reduced the wine (400ml) to 150ml and added some fig concentrate, some cream and a dash of black pepper.