• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reducing a liquid

stefanyb

When following a recipe where there is an instruction to boil down and reduce by half, how do you really know how far you've gone without pouring the liquid out of the pot and into a measuring cup. And how many times do you actually want to do that while preparing something?

If there isn't a time direction, say "cook on a high flame for 5 minutes" or some such thing, I find it very difficult to know how far to boil down.

Is there any rule of thumb about this?

Well, don't stick your thumb in it. But go by eye. Use a pot you know well and that you have a good sense of its volume. Viscosity, the sound it makes, all inform.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

And if you do NOT have a good feel/sight of what is half in a particular pot, it's okay to do a little playing with water until you get a sense of it. Measure how much you put in; pour out what you think is about half (back into the measuring cup if you like) and just keep going back and forth until you can consistently come close. Now, of course you won't always start with the same amount of liquid, but this will help you develop a visual sense of what half looks like against the whole amount.

(If you're really worried about getting it right, use a dipstick; but you'll be fine with your own instincts -- especially, as Jinmyo says, because you will SEE and HEAR when it's right.)

Stick the handle of a wooden spoon in at the beginning. You can even mark it if necessary. Then check back when it looks about right. Also, keep in mind that the person who said reduce by half in the first place was just guesstimating probably.

Thanks Suzanne, Jinny and chefette. The dipstick method sounds like the thing for me. Maybe over time I can hone my own perceptions but for now, sticking in a wooden spoon handle sounds perfect. I can't believe I never thought of it considering all the car engine repair experience I have :laugh: .

nickn and chefette seem have the right idea i think: "by half" means little. it's all about how it tastes. if you go strictly by a measurement, such as a wooden spoon, it's completely random, as it all depends on how much solid material is in the liquid. "by half" generally implies "taste and touch". look at the consistency of the stuff. taste it. spoon it. love it.

nickn and chefette seem have the right idea i think:  "by half" means little.  it's all about how it tastes.  if you go strictly by a measurement, such as a wooden spoon, it's completely random, as it all depends on how much solid material is in the liquid.  "by half" generally implies "taste and touch".  look at the consistency of the stuff.  taste it.  spoon it.  love it.

It pains me to say tommy knows what he's talking about. The least reliable thing is the timing. Heat, composition of the liquid, atmospheric conditions, and other things will affect how long it should boil or simmer. The actual amount of liquid is often far less important than the quality of the final sauce anyway. For the most part this is all done by eye sense of the liquid in the pot, but if the actual amount is critical, I will pour it into a measuring cup once or twice.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.