• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interesting things as breading

Mr. Delicious

I fried up some walleye last night and as a breading I used the new jalapeno cheddar cheetos. I have heard of captain crunch, and every other cereal being used, but I wanted something different. It turned out pretty good, but the flavor was not as pronounced as I expected. What else have you used or want to try??

I fried up some walleye last night and as a breading I used the new jalapeno cheddar cheetos.  I have heard of captain crunch, and every other cereal being used, but I wanted something different.  It turned out pretty good, but the flavor was not as pronounced as I expected.  What else have you used or want to try??

we didn't do this but it's a cute story.

after my husband told his friend about using rice krispies as breading his decided to try it, but since they only had raisen bran they used that and the whole family helped pick all the raisens out of the cereal!

Years ago I had cooking duties at our mountain cabin in Running Springs, CA and found that all the stuff I usually used was contaminated with bugs. (The birds had a bonus meal that day!)

I dug through a box of snacks in the station wagon and found an unopened package of sesame cookies (new to us in the early 70s), crushed them and they made an interesting, although slightly sweet, coating for trout.

I used some crushed green pea snacks to coat scallops last year and both the flavor and color was quite nice.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've heard of crushed wasabi peas being used as a breading for tuna steaks; it sounds tasty to me.

Pretzels are something I'd like to try - particularly the cracker-style (Pretzel Slims) to avoid excess powdery innards.

Edited by DCP (log)

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

ground up pork rinds on pork chops

parmesan cheese on cutlets

coconut on chicken or prawns is good

pecans on halibut is do die for

almond meal works well too

with nuts you just have to watch for burning but they make a wonderful crust mixed with parm or other dry hard cheese and some subtle spices ..

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I have used crushed wasabi peas plain and blended with panko as breading. It is pretty good. The peas by themselves do not really crisp up, hence the panko on the second time around.

Edited by syoung68 (log)

sesame cookies (new to us in the early 70s),

Benne wafers? Those are common in low country cooking to use up when they go stale.

Not the same thing at all. (I grew up in a house with a Gullah cook - she made a lot of benne-seed wafers.)

These were a Japanese product - brown rice and sesame wafers that were a bit sweet and one variety had flakes of seaweed too. They became somewhat of a fad in the early '70s.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've heard of crushed wasabi peas being used as a breading for tuna steaks; it sounds tasty to me.

Pretzels are something I'd like to try - particularly the cracker-style (Pretzel Slims) to avoid excess powdery innards.

I have used crushed wasabi peas plain and blended with panko as breading. It is pretty good. The peas by themselves do not really crisp up, hence the panko on the second time around.

I use wasabi peas with breadcrumbs (about 2:1) for pork chops.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

When peaches were in season over the summer, at my restaurant we breaded them in crushed up amaretti cookies and deep fried them. We cut peaches into wedges and breaded them with the standard flour-egg-(amaretti)crumb breading procedure, with the flour mixed with a bit of brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. We served it with maple almond gelato - probably one of the best summer desserts I have ever had. It's a fun take on peach cobbler.

The pea snacks I mentioned in an earlier posts are these:

Calbee Snapea crisps Original Flavof

They also have a Caesar flavor but I haven't tried them.

The pea snacks I mentioned in an earlier posts are these:

Calbee  Snapea crisps Original Flavof

They also have a Caesar flavor but I haven't tried them.

Yes, but... using them as breading would require me not to dispatch my entire supply (1 bag at a time, for sanity reasons) in one sitting. If only they came in smaller bags...

The Caesar flavor is excellent, though a bit salty. I like them both for snaking out of hand, though I have to travel farther for the Caesars.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

I've used corn nuts on both salmon and chicken. Adds a nice sweet flavor. If you want to add a little more umph, you can add all sorts of different seasonings to it, e.g. chili powder. But I really like it plain best.

At Alan Wong's Pineapple Room, my friend had some fish coated with furikake with little round rice crackers in it. It looked like the furikake with crackers that you buy, but with a higher ratio of crackers. It was not quite a breading, but I could see using more of this for an actual breading.

Cheez-It Breaded Chicken Fingers. Served them at a couple of parties and couldn't keep the kids away from them.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.