• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Swanage, Dorset

Going down to the flat in swanage easter weekend,

Any suggestions of where to eat, upmarket and casual?

Thanks in advance

The Crab House

Ferry Bridge, Portland Road,

Weymouth

Dorset

01305 788867

At the risk of sounding like a B52, this crab shack is a little old place....

well actually it's a newish Terrapin hut on an industrial estate just past the commercial dock in Weymouth but that doesn't scan It also does blindingly fresh fish, minimally mucked with and has been well reviewed by inter alia, our own Jay R..

It's by far and away my favourite place on that entire stretch of coast even if it is rather distressingly 'real'.

Edited by Tim Hayward (log)

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

Going down to the flat in swanage easter weekend,

Any suggestions of where to eat, upmarket and casual?

Thanks in advance

The Crab House

Ferry Bridge, Portland Road,

Weymouth

Dorset

01305 788867

At the risk of sounding like a B52, this crab shack is a little old place....

well actually it's a newish Terrapin hut on an industrial estate just past the commercial dock in Weymouth but that doesn't scan It also does blindingly fresh fish, minimally mucked with and has been well reviewed by inter alia, our own Jay R..

It's by far and away my favourite place on that entire stretch of coast even if it is rather distressingly 'real'.

And, ooh, a really irritating 45 minute drive from Swanage.

Jay

I was in Swanage in September and being the good little foodie I am, I did a great deal of research to try and find anywhere decent to eat. I came up with nothing. Sorry!

However there is a little bistro place near the pier that sells local oysters and glasses of cava. That's about the best I did.