• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Purge the Larder

Big bag of frozen aduki beans

That's the problem right there! No problem at all with SMALL bags of frozen azuki beans.

So, these are boiled soft? If they don't have much/any water, defrost, (drain off water if necessary), weigh.

To make bean jam - let's assume that the boiled beans weigh around 3 times as much in total as the dry beans did. The proportions should be sugar: dried beans 7:10

500g / 1 lb boiled azuki beans

100g-120g / 3-4 oz sugar (scant half cup)

pinch salt

Stir (wooden spoon) beans and sugar together over low-mod heat till sugar melts, then bubble over moderate heat until mixture is thick enough that you can draw the spoon through the mixture and see the bottom of the pot before the mixture flows back.

Spread out onto a big plate to cool rapidly, will keep around 1 week in refrigerator, or freeze to store unused portions.

Fried pies or oven turnovers:

Peel 1 -2 sweet potatoes (roughly a pound) thickly, rinse well, simmer till soft, mash or smash into rough cubes, mix in around 50g / 2 oz sugar, make jam or candy slightly as for bean jam above. Cool.

Prepare pastry, add a dab each of sweet potatoes and bean jam, fry or bake. Bite in carefully - just as dangerous as hot apple turnovers.

Other uses for this rough and ready bean jam:

"Dorayaki" beanjam-filled pancakes - make smallish hotcakes, just before turning, dab bean jam onto almost set top, and place another almost-set pancake on top, press gently to flatten, cook a little longer, turn, continue cooking. There is a special recipe for the pancakes, but the idea works very well with ordinary pancakes too.

Bean jam icecream: soften some vanilla icecream and mix in some bean jam. Serve with a drizzle of muscovado sugar syrup.

An-pan: Make a slightly sweet bread dough with milk, take small amounts and pat into disks, put a small ball of bean jam in the middle, enclose in the dough, place to rise with the seam well-closed and facing down, bake mod. oven with an egg-glaze and white poppyseed sprinkled center top of each bun.

My use-up list:

Every winter, my kids want instant corn soup in single serve sachets, and complain if we run out. Then one day, they suddenly decide that it's spring, and refuse to drink even one more cup. :hmmm:

I understand that seaweed makes great fertilizer? :blink:

kelp season here is in April and I want to appreciate it! ...right now I have one gallon zippy bag left of a thin dry seaweed that is usually used for soup or salad (I have no idea of the name I am sorry ..I am trying to learn them..but this is so generic a one to me I have no idea) ...I am done ..sick of it ..tired ..done ... even beach fantasies are not helping me

unless someone can tell me quickly something else to do with this that would be good ..I am going to give it to my plants

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

hmmm when I was in Canada last year I had a sweet roll wrapped in seaweed..it was very good actually the seasalty on the outside and then sweet bread inside ...

I could try? anyone heard of this or have an ideaa?

or plant food?

Piglet 

Ok the weather sucks :raz: but I have a new Los Lobos CD and all these ingredients that need to be used up ...right?

I am going to turn these things into tamales! what a genuine cheer up making these can be I think ...

not one of them was meant (when I found them to be for each) they all had differing dishes to go into... but today in the pouring rain I am going to pretend the rain outside is a warm summer rain ..put some music on ..and hopefully turn this into something good

gallery_51681_4569_360778.jpg

list of what is in the picture (not in order)

corn husks

coconut milk

masa

ground pumpkin seeds

star anise

frozen cherries

manzanita peppers

chipotle pepper

cointreau

salt

my delema (where are you when I need you Chef???) please if anyone has any ideas

I planned to do the masa with the coconut milk and butter (you have to have a lot of fat in there) ..or would coconut milk alone be ok? to wet the masa and keep it moist..I dont have lard or I would use it with the coconut milk

the filling ..I am going to make a batch of modified cherry pepper jam with the Cointrau, anise ..chipotle and diced up manzanitas.and brown sugar..should I toast and put the pumkin seed meal in the filling you think? or encorporate it into the masa?

any ideas?

12 cans of sardines are going to the food bank tomorrow (I have no idea how I ended up with these) ...I will keep two and make some lime chile dip with them but that is it someone else can use these up faster and better than I can

Piglet 

I just wanted to say this thread is quite interesting. I actually am going in the opposite directio and trying to stock my larder. Maybe I inherited this from my grandma, maybe all of my husband's kooky survivalist friends are getting to me, maybe it's all the snow, I don't know. But I'm making sure we have plenty of food to last for months if for some reason the grocery store shelves are bare.

If that happens, I can always reference this thread for inspiration!

Good luck to all you pantry purgers. I wish I had a walk in pantry. I'm starting to eye the small third bedroom...heaven help me...

Other than brats, what to do with sauerkraut?

How about hot reuben sandwiches (corned beef, swiss, & sauerkraut on rye). The classic condiment is Thousand Island dressing, but I like mustard on mine, too.

...sauerkraut - 1 can

OH KA, as a sauerkraut sort-of-connoisseur, trust me on this one.......

Ditch the canned 'kraut without so much as the slightest guilty inkling.

Toss it. Please. My Polish ancestors are beggin' ya on this one......

:laugh: :laugh:

Pierogi, I know what you mean. I'll open it and taste it. I love reubens but to do them would mean buying: rye bread, corned beef, swiss cheese and russian dressing. So I think I need a different option. Maybe a casserole of some kind. If the stuff turns out edible. If not, hello compost heap!

hummingbirdkiss - sweet tamales. Brilliant!

Yes, you may compost the seaweed if you want to. Heck, waste money, send it to me, I'll promise to use it, and then you'll never know if we ate it or fed it to the tomatoes. :wink:

Tonight's a good night for a project. I have all that jam to use up. I never know what to do with canned fruit either. Is it possible that a fruit tart could be made with crust, jam, the canned whatevers? Serve with creme anglais, birds custard or chocolate, depending on who's eating? Oh who am I kidding. I'll pull the frozen puff pastry out and make pstreudle. No one but me will eat any. I will have a delicious weekend.

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I feel validated KA thanks I am going to make it into fertilzer and be happy doing it!

I keep finding more shit you know ..every time I take one thing out there is more behind it ..I did not do comprehensive inventory because I just found some cracked corn and am going to put that in with the cherry filling ..make a nut layer and have a coconut masa

man I have a list of use ups in these things ..just hope the neighbors like them!

Piglet 

You know what I'd really like to do? Start a leftover exchange. I have so many great soups and stews in my freezer, but I like making them, so I'm always adding. I either need to have houseguests for a while or trade someone else for their leftovers. I don't want to waste the food, but it's hard to use it all up.

A soup dinner party? :wink:

I love this topic - I've been contemplating my pantry for a while now; but, I had a really bad cold about three weeks ago and I haven't felt like cooking anything but pasta with a little butter and parmesan since then. Eating is not a problem - just cooking! Hopefully I will want to cook again soon...

Now, I am away from home for two weeks for work - They sent me with very short notice so it was a good thing that I didn't have a lot of fresh ingredients around since there is no one there to eat them. If I remember correctly here is what I have to get through...

Fridge:

Shredded mozz, about 1 cup

Parmesan, about 1/2 cup block

shredded cheddar, about 1 cup

coconut milk - 1/2 a can (may need to be thrown out?)

sake - 3/4 of a bottle - does this go bad?

Rhubarb-ginger preserves, 1/4 jar

tamarind concentrate

spicy mustard

sour cream, 1/2 cup - if still good

Tamari, 1/2 bottle

3 carrots

2 baby bok choy (probably spoiled)

1/2 package of celery (probably spoiled)

3 limes

fresh ginger

walnuts, 1 1/2 cups

peanuts, 1 cup

sund dried tomatoes, 1/2 cup

capers, 3/4 jar

Freezer:

Cooked Chicken thigh meat, shredded, 1 pound

Homemade chicken broth, 2 quarts

boneless, skinless chicken breast, 1/2 pound

pizza dough - for one 12" pizza

homemade pesto - about 1 cup

lemongrass, 2 stalks

paneer, 1/4 pound

homemade tomato sauce, 1 quart

peas

corn

Pantry:

thin rice noodles

thick rice noodles

rice paper wrappers

sticky rice - 1 quart

Basmati Rice, 1 pint

Pasta - 4 pounds, various shapes

Golden lentils, 1 quart

green lentils, 1 cup

dried, unsweetened coconut

black beans, 1 pint

black beans, 1 can

Coconut milk, 1 can

baby corn, 1 can

Chipotles in adobo, 1 can

Oils / Vinegars / Condiments:

Light Olive Oil

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Corn Oil

Fish Sauce

Oyster Sauce

Rice Wine Vinegar

Cider Vinegar

Balsamic Vinegar

Worcestershire Sauce

Soy Sauce

Now - shouldn't there be a master program out there that can tell me what all I can make with this stuff? In all sorts of cuisines and also tell me what one or two ingredients I need to add or substitute to complete a recipie?

I love this topic - I've been contemplating my pantry for a while now; but, I had a really bad cold about three weeks ago and I haven't felt like cooking anything but pasta with a little butter and parmesan since then.  Eating is not a problem - just cooking!  Hopefully I will want to cook again soon...

Now, I am away from home for two weeks for work - They sent me with very short notice so it was a good thing that I didn't have a lot of fresh ingredients around since there is no one there to eat them.  If I remember correctly here is what I have to get through...

Fridge:

Shredded mozz, about 1 cup

Parmesan, about 1/2 cup block

shredded cheddar, about 1 cup

coconut milk - 1/2 a can (may need to be thrown out?)

sake - 3/4 of a bottle - does this go bad?

Rhubarb-ginger preserves, 1/4 jar

tamarind concentrate

spicy mustard

sour cream, 1/2 cup - if still good

Tamari, 1/2 bottle

3 carrots

2 baby bok choy (probably spoiled)

1/2 package of celery (probably spoiled)

3 limes

fresh ginger

walnuts, 1 1/2 cups

peanuts, 1 cup

sund dried tomatoes, 1/2 cup

capers, 3/4 jar

Freezer:

Cooked Chicken thigh meat, shredded, 1 pound

Homemade chicken broth, 2 quarts

boneless, skinless chicken breast, 1/2 pound

pizza dough - for one 12" pizza

homemade pesto - about 1 cup

lemongrass, 2 stalks

paneer, 1/4 pound

homemade tomato sauce, 1 quart

peas

corn

Pantry:

thin rice noodles

thick rice noodles

rice paper wrappers

sticky rice - 1 quart

Basmati Rice, 1 pint

Pasta - 4 pounds, various shapes

Golden lentils, 1 quart

green lentils, 1 cup

dried, unsweetened coconut

black beans, 1 pint

black beans, 1 can

Coconut milk, 1 can

baby corn, 1 can

Chipotles in adobo, 1 can

Oils / Vinegars / Condiments:

Light Olive Oil

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Corn Oil

Fish Sauce

Oyster Sauce

Rice Wine Vinegar

Cider Vinegar

Balsamic Vinegar

Worcestershire Sauce

Soy Sauce

Now - shouldn't there be a master program out there that can tell me what all I can make with this stuff?  In all sorts of cuisines and also tell me what one or two ingredients I need to add or substitute to  complete a recipie?

Purple - one nice generic stir-fry here

Green - some kind of curry ?

There's a fabulous zillion bean / lentil soup or some dhals in there.

chicken pesto pizza with sundried tomatoes..

Can we trade pantries, please?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

A lot of us seem to have very similar things to get rid of. There's the masa, and I also have Marmite, sauerkraut and adzuki beans. Was planning to make a vegetarian choucroute with the sauerkraut. I made these Marmite tarts for the Australian night of the soccer World Cup, which were really good, but use up way too little Marmite. I'm just going to have to hope that stuff stays good forever. I made dorayaki (pancakes) with some of the adzuki beans. They're good but they get sickening really quickly, especially if you don't like adzuki beans, which, it turns out, is the case with me.

OFFICIAL LARDER TAMALES!!! gallery_51681_4569_23618.jpg

ok an artichoke was about most stupid choice for plating but it was clean and close by so whatever ..I just wont not post it in the dessert thread...

I just wanted to show these off they are full of "larder", easy to freeze (but that was not the point.so I will give some away)...and flipping fantastic to eat ..i was going to make some whipped cream to top these but they taste like a really moist flavorful masa pastry/cookie ..I dont know just flat out good

Piglet 

ok I still have about five cups of masa and no more corn husks ...but that will be for tomorrow while I was making these I used the leftover cherry mix (see above) and added the rest of the merlot, a bunch of cut up roasted pork ..and the cracked corn I did not use in the tamales ..put it all the dutch oven and it is just making the most amazing smelling cherry pork and corn stew in there ...

Piglet 

Wasn't there a thread a while ago about some website where you could put in several ingredients and they would give back a list of recipes that would work? I can't remember what it was called, altho I thought it was a Google product (I ccan't find it in Google stuff tho.)

:huh:

ETA:

here it is!!!

http://www.grimmthething.com/other/cse/googlefood.html

Edited by dockhl (log)

full of "larder"

I like that phrase! Those tamales were a great idea.

Last night I made Chicken & Ginger Simmered in Caramel Sauce, from Andrea Nyugen's Into The Vietnamese Kitchen. This is an easy weeknight recipe, as long as you have the caramel sauce on hand (as I have had, for months). Not in the recipe, but I tossed in the leftover lemongrass from my fridge, and it was good. Bye to some caramel sauce, some fish sauce, and the lemongrass.

Off to survey the various containers of dry beans I have stashed away, to see what kind of interesting soup I can make from them ...

Ohh, 13 bean soup! Yummy, and even better if you've got a hunk of ham or a hock hidden away...! :rolleyes: (Even a nice bit of smoked turkey!)

Great minds think alike. :biggrin: Actually turned out to be 4-bean soup--adukis, pintos, black-eyed peas, and split green peas. I had a bunch of "pot liquor" left over from a batch of greens and ham hocks I'd made a few days before, so that became the broth in which I cooked the beans. That basically killed off the adukis and pintos altogether--still have some black-eyed and split green peas, as well as a bunch of garbanzos, though the latter get used rather more frequently for hummus and the like so I'm not so concerned about them.

Mr. E also had boxes and boxes of mixes -- instant pudding, instant milk, brownie mix, cornbread mix, Kraft mac-n-cheese ... :rolleyes: Those kind of things, specifically the unopened boxes, I'm more likely to purge the next time there's a local food pantry drive. But I might at least use up the corn bread mix tonight to serve with the bean soup.

There's also half-a-box of Trader Joe's arborio rice ... Mr. E might get skittish about a risotto because it's unfamiliar, but then again he might get over that fast because it's got all his favorite food qualities--creaminess, cheesiness, and lotsa carbs! :laugh: Anyway, an interesting experiment to try on him some evening...

?a simple curry for the coconut milk?

The oysters were for eating on crackers, but the tenor wont eat them, my eating-smoked-oysters partner was on chemo and couldnt think of them, and I cant eat an entire can alone. Make dip for a party?

Yeah, canned sauerkraut has quality issues that make it less appealing in such applications as Reubens, but I think it still does pretty well braised with your favorite chunks of pork--when it cooks down and absorbs all that pork fat, it gets pretty darn good.

Somebody else mentioned coconut rice, I think ... I made a wonderful Thai black sticky rice pudding about a month ago using this recipe. Of course now I have most of a 5-pound bag of black sticky rice haunting my pantry, which kind of defeats the point of this exercise. :laugh: But I bet one could have fun adapting the recipe to other types of rices one might be needing to use up.

Re: the oysters--when I was a kid, my family used to make a super-simple but super-good clam dip consisting only of softened cream cheese, canned minced clams, enough of their liquid to thin the mixture to a dippable consistency, plus seasonings to taste (usually involving a bunch of black pepper and garlic powder--nowadays I'd probably substitute real garlic, minced, for the powder). I bet the smoked oysters, minced, would do great in a similar dip. If there isn't enough liquid in with the oysters to do the job, I think you could use bottled clam juice, or for that matter any other kind of broth whose flavor would match well.

Smoked oysters. Yum.

Wrap each in enough bacon to encircle it, skewer with a toothpick, and broil until the bacon's cooked. Back in the 60s this was one off my mother's favorite drinks nibbles: I call them WASP rumaki.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Tonight I made minestrone, homemade croutons, and chocolate cake for dinner using only ingredients I already had in the house. Yay! That used up:

Refridgerator: a bunch of baby carrots leftover from a vegetable tray, a good amount of garlic, half of a really large onion I had saved from before, eggs.

Pantry (including the baking pantry I still haven't inventoried): 3 cans of tomatoes, cannelinni beans, vegetable broth concentrate, evoo, bread, chocolate, cocoa powder, espresso powder, flour, brown sugar, veg oil, and vanilla.

Good luck to all you pantry purgers. I wish I had a walk in pantry. I'm starting to eye the small third bedroom...heaven help me...

Down here is THE ROOM, home of all things unused, unwanted, unhonored, and unsung. You just open the door, sigh, and close it again, fearful for your life. It should be a fifth BR, but everybody needs a THAT DRAWER and a THE ROOM for the detritus which would drown us otherwise. It's gonna be a cool pantry, soon.

I'm trying to have one, really I am. My "real" pantry is an adjunct to the laundry room, an alcove that's bumped back under the stairs, so one side IS stair-shaped (that's where the dead old water-softener lives---it came with the house and hasn't done a lick of work in the ten years we've lived here). The other side has a nice set of white-painted plank shelves, so deep you forget what's back there. I think they walled off the alcove front, made a door-sized door, and didn't take into account that you'd have to have a yardstick to rake stuff toward you. Sometimes I have to go get the LONG barbeque tongs, grab, and dodge whatever avalanches out.

I'm gonna have a look tomorrow, when I can drag great bags and jars and Tupperwares out and set them on the washer and dryer and freezer. We may end up with a sardine/raisin/Clabber Girl/Altoid/tapioca/bulgur risotto for supper, but that's the way the stale cookie crumbles.

moire non

Mr. E also had boxes and boxes of mixes -- instant pudding, instant milk, brownie mix, cornbread mix, Kraft mac-n-cheese ...  Those kind of things, specifically the unopened boxes, I'm more likely to purge the next time there's a local food pantry drive. But I might at least use up the corn bread mix tonight to serve with the bean soup.

In past moves, I've been able to give away unopened canned & boxed foods directly to the Salvation Army donation centers. Very convenient and available all the time. A thought if you don't want to wait for a food pantry drive.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Marmite.  I'm just going to have to hope that stuff stays good forever. 

It does. Thank god. Its hard enough to find that I'd be very sad if it had a short shelf life. I stock up when relatives come from old blighty.

a simple curry for the coconut milk

yum, coconut rice...................

Somebody else mentioned coconut rice, I think ... I made a wonderful Thai black sticky rice pudding about a month ago using this recipe. Of course now I have most of a 5-pound bag of black sticky rice haunting my pantry, which kind of defeats the point of this exercise. :laugh: But I bet one could have fun adapting the recipe to other types of rices one might be needing to use up.

I never think of 'having to use up' rice, because I love it and collect it. Coconut rice sounds so good! I shall try to fit that in over the weekend. Also I should look up mango rice because I have too much mango in the freezer.

There's also half-a-box of Trader Joe's arborio rice ... Mr. E might get skittish about a risotto because it's unfamiliar, but then again he might get over that fast because it's got all his favorite food qualities--creaminess, cheesiness, and lotsa carbs! :laugh: Anyway, an interesting experiment to try on him some evening...

?a simple curry for the coconut milk?

The oysters were for eating on crackers, but the tenor wont eat them, my eating-smoked-oysters partner was on chemo and couldnt think of them, and I cant eat an entire can alone. Make dip for a party?

Yeah, canned sauerkraut has quality issues that make it less appealing in such applications as Reubens, but I think it still does pretty well braised with your favorite chunks of pork--when it cooks down and absorbs all that pork fat, it gets pretty darn good.

Re: the oysters--when I was a kid, my family used to make a super-simple but super-good clam dip consisting only of softened cream cheese, canned minced clams, enough of their liquid to thin the mixture to a dippable consistency, plus seasonings to taste (usually involving a bunch of black pepper and garlic powder--nowadays I'd probably substitute real garlic, minced, for the powder). I bet the smoked oysters, minced, would do great in a similar dip. If there isn't enough liquid in with the oysters to do the job, I think you could use bottled clam juice, or for that matter any other kind of broth whose flavor would match well.

Smoked oysters. Yum.

Wrap each in enough bacon to encircle it, skewer with a toothpick, and broil until the bacon's cooked. Back in the 60s this was one off my mother's favorite drinks nibbles: I call them WASP rumaki.

mizducky, thats exactly the type of dip I had in mind. Anything with bacon is good tho, maggiethecat. Best of all will be if I open the can and end up eating them as is.

Never tried pork that way. Love pork. hmmmm - will open can tomorrow and see.

Wasn't there a thread a while ago about some website where you could put in several ingredients and they would give back a list of recipes that would work? I can't remember what it was called, altho I thought it was a Google product (I ccan't find it in Google stuff tho.)

:huh:

ETA:

here it is!!!

http://www.grimmthething.com/other/cse/googlefood.html

oooh luverly!

Pstreudle is oozing all over the baking sheet, smelling good. Used one of the jams and some of the cointreau and ginger marmelade. Damn, we have a lot of dribs and drabs of liqueurs too.

I WANT those tamales. Oh my oh my oh my!

And now, in a spirit of self-punishment, is the middle shelf, same cupboard:

Hunts spaghetti sauce - 2 large cans. sh..ugar. These must have been here since 2004 at least. :shock:

blackeyed peas - 1 can

kidney beans - 1 can

garbanzo beans - 1 can

abalone mushrooms - 1 can

goya anchovy stuffed olives - treasure! How did those escape me before?

water chestnuts - 1 can

refried beans - 2 can

enchilada sauce - 1 can

'fancy' mustard - 2 jars - I'll save that til the summer barbecue season

morello cherries - 1 jar - HOORAY! now to buy some lamb...

?Abalone mushrooms? What are they?

Dang am I glad this thread was started.

let me start by saying two things

Goya has anchovy stuffed olives??? I can not wait until I find them!

I have saved a ton of money this week!!! maybe not a ton but quite a bit!!! not one grocery store trip ..not one meal out ...I figure a good $300 at least!!!

I am almost there!

today I am at the end of my big line up I think!

new finds and to go's are the following

3 packages of lumpia wrappers

frozen berries

(thanks to Doddie I am going to make fruit lumpias what a great idea! )

1 package of Fall River Chow Mein gravy (1970s Providence RI Lincoln School for Girls ..the only lunch I would ever eat there was on Chow Mein day and this is the stuff! nothing but MSG, starch and seasonings but makes me suck my thumb and twirl my hair when I make it) this will use up the water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, straw mushrooms, a big chicken I have and the partial bag of Jasmine rice..the lumpia wraps sliced thinly and deep fried (I will cave and buy oil today) make good noodles for the dish

a couple of lbs of really wonderful chourico (also from Fall River my friend sends me a care package every year)

along with a huge bag of pre roasted peppers of all kinds

I figure a stir fry of those two together some muenster and I will toss together some pita today to wrap them in

and a pan of berry crisp with the last of a container of oatmeal

I am sending a huge care package to my buddies Patrick and Mark who struggle boiling eggs and have to work this weekend ..

this should be about the end of anything easy to toss together ...I am actually way ahead of the curve here I have five days left and meals for two more ahead done .....freezer is down to a leg of lamb ..a few chickens and that smoked salmon I have yet to figure out why I froze to begin with ..(I have a tiny freezer and no real pantry just cupboards for everything)

my husband is going to run to the store for a few essentials I have to cave on ..cream, sugar, eggs, butter, celery and oil today that is it ..... less than $25 on food this week so far ...and a cleaned up larder ...I am pleased ..

you guys are all amazing how is it going? such great ideas here ...thank you all so much for sharing ..it has helped me that is for sure! :wub:

Piglet