• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bell pepper inspiration

chezcherie

knife skills class at the cooking school always leaves us with loads of sliced veg to use creatively. i have about 6 lb of student-chopped onions caramelizing in the crock pot right now--the day i learned that this would work changed my life! (i finish them in a sautepan, as a lot of liquid remains, but the ease of cooking a large amount of onions, largely untended, is a boon.)

in summer session, i like to use the sliced bells (red, yellow and orange) to make a great pepper relish, but i'm looking for something i haven't thought of, that's maybe more seasonal? i know i can stir-fry 'em, or use them in pasta, but i'm looking for something...i dunno.. different. i know there are good ideas out there. give 'em up! thanks--

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

You could make letscho.

equal parts by weight bell pepper (or yellow Hungarian peppers) onion and nice spicy (sliced) sausage gyulai if you can get it. Throw everything into a pot and cook on low until it becomes a lovely thick stewlike mass. Serve with boiled potatoes and or bread for dipping.

No reason why this would not work in a crock pot.

--edit don't salt this until done, the sausage can add a good bit of salt.

Edited by 6ppc (log)

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Make a creamy roasted red pepper bisque with shellfish.

Saute in good olive oil with onions and garlic and puree in large batches with cream and vodka, to make a sort of winter-friendly vodka sauce for pasta. You could add tomatoes if you wanted; it'd be delicious either way.

I recently tried this red pepper marmalade with balsamic vinegar from Chefshop. If you're into preserving, perhaps you could attempt something similar.

Or you could make red pepper confit, which would be great in everything from omelettes to sandwiches.

• 14 years later...
18 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Get over pepper problems and make this!

Often a "eeewww" is the best I can offer without taking something off topic. Bell peppers cooked down with onions, etc.,  into a silky, saucy accompaniment or condiment is one thing. I even have a favourite pepper and sausage dish which is really a pepperonata with added protein (although I manage not to include green peppers!). 
Raw or barely cooked green peppers on anything are revolting.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I wish I liked bell peppers. Pepperonata sounds so good slopped on bread.  But I just don't. I love long hot chile peppers. I love various kinds of pickled peppers. Once upon a time when I was younger I think I liked bell peppers-- like on pizza, or grilled as a sausage topper or in ratatouille. But now, without reason, they don't appeal. I make one exception, and that is when I cook up a big pot of red beans and rice. One green bell goes into the trinity or it seems like heresy. And after two hours or more of cooking I really can't distinguish the flavor of the GBP.  

• Like 1

I very much like peperonata, but make it not very often. Our household uses bell peppers mostly in samfaïna (which contains quite some amount, even if the English wikipedia entry suggests otherwise) and escalivada (a mix of roasted and skinned peppers and aubergines). The latter is a great topping for flatbread, sometimes with sardines added, known in Catalunya as coca de recapte

My personal favorite, however, is simply roasted yellow peppers (roasted until the skin is black), skinned and mixed with the best anchovies you can buy. A bit of garlic and some olive oil. Best eaten at room temperature with some bread and a good wine.

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 10

I often used to get something similar in Romania (Brasov, in particular). At various restaurants and in people's homes, it would be jarred and on every table. Mostly various colors of 'bell' peppers with onion, garlic and salt, cooked down almost into a paste. It's great on brown bread, especially with the little hunks of fried pork fat (served cold) several of the restaurants would serve with the bread.

• Like 4

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

On 1/30/2023 at 3:20 PM, Anna N said:

I even have a favourite pepper and sausage dish which is really a pepperonata with added protein (although I manage not to include green peppers!)

I make something like that also. I love it! 

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

I make something like that also. I love it! 

I went back and looked up the recipe and it probably doesn't qualify as a traditional pepperonata but rather a roasted pepper dish. But it is very similar in that they peppers are cooked down until they practically melt.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Many, MANY years ago, my husband's secretary gave us a jar of her pickled bell peppers.    OMG!   We immediately got her recipe and husband brought home a peck of green bells.    And we set to it.    Very simple procedure, simply washed, quartered, seeded and jarred and covered with boiling brine.   BUT bell peppers do not come in standard sizes and shapes.   Started after we both got home from work, we finished around quarter to 4am, and made it in to work that day.

Well worth the effort.    Use your favorite dill pickle brine recipe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

eGullet member #80.

• 3 months later...
On 1/30/2023 at 5:20 PM, Anna N said:

Often a "eeewww" is the best I can offer without taking something off topic. Bell peppers cooked down with onions, etc.,  into a silky, saucy accompaniment or condiment is one thing. I even have a favourite pepper and sausage dish which is really a pepperonata with added protein (although I manage not to include green peppers!). 
Raw or barely cooked green peppers on anything are revolting.

What Anna N said!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com