• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Equitable

sharonb

Yesterday evening, I continued my exploration of the 5th arrondissement with a restaurant called L'Equitable near Censier-Daubenton.

What a strange experience - most of the food was good, except for a spectacular misfire with my main course; the wine list was awful: almost nothing there, and a third of the things printed no longer available (crossed out). The setting was rustic and amusingly charming, but the service was obnoxious. I kind of think that for the service alone I wouldn't go back, though my first course of tête de veau was one of the best renditions of that dish I've had.

For the full report, look to my blog.

Yesterday evening, I continued my exploration of the 5th arrondissement with a restaurant called L'Equitable near Censier-Daubenton.

Oh boy do I feel guilty. After eating at Equitable for a decade after it was "discovered" by the New York Times, liking it especially because it was a rare good place open for Sunday lunch, we went January 6th and were equally disappointed but although Colette urged me to update info on Garance, I did not on Equitable. Sorry. But Lena & Mimile, only a bit away is terrific.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

We were there about 4-5 years ago and loved it.

Then, we went again about a year or so ago, with some French friends, and, yes, the service was totally obnoxious! That's the right word!

The food just okay.

Sometimes we think we get servers being rude to us because we're American's, but this time, we had French friends with us. Our friends wouldn't even let us leave a tip at all, that's how bad it was.

I wonder what's up with them?

Philly Francophiles

It was really strange and excessive. They plopped our bottle of Puligny-Montrachet in an ice bucket a little ways off. At one point, the sommelier actually came around and said with a kind of exasperated snarl, "I suppose you want me to serve you?" (most of us had finished what was in our glasses). Strange.

Later, he refused to let us order a dessert wine by the bottle (there were five of us and we ended up each ordering a glass of the same wine).

First (and last) time I went there was a few years back when it was supposed to be good. It wasn't. Bad (and bad humored) service and probably the toughest entrecote I've ever eaten..

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

• 5 months later...

Here's an interesting turn of events - I walked by this place today and there was a new awning, dark brown, with in gold letters the name AGAPES. I guess L'Equitable has closed and been replaced by Agapes. The restaurant was closed for the month and there was no menu outside, so no idea what it's like.