• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

japanese flour

surreption

I just got a new bread recipe that calls for Japanese flour. The Romanji name is ongonzuru. I am looking for an equivalence for North America. I saw a great post that gave several bread flours but it did not include this particular flour.

Thanks for your help!

It has a protein content of 12% - so it's moderately high in gluten.

Try to match it with something with a similar protein content, or blend flours.

What type of bread are you making? Flours from domestic (Japanese) wheat tend to be around 11-12% (the standard supermarket brand, Super Camellia, is 11.5%).

French bread flours sold here are usually 10-11% protein; good bread flours are usually over 13% protein, very occasionally up to 15%, if that's any guide.

Flours used with Japanese natural yeast seem to be on the lower end, 11-12% protein.

If you are using a flour with less protein, you may need less water to mix, and conversely, you may need more liquid than the recipe suggests if your flour has more protein.

Flour comparison using different flours. Ougonzuru (Ohgonzuru) bread is the photo second from the left, in the second row down (next to OPERA).

Baking notes are very positive, citing good rise and nice aroma/flavor.

• 2 weeks later...

I am making a sokupan. I made it with the flour I had and it came out good but i would like the texture to be better. I am not sure if it was my technique, the flour, or the recipe. I am making a trip to a local Japanese market today. I will try again tonight.

I really appreciate the help on the flour! This forum is most excellent.