• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what to do with apple butter...

lauren75

Most of the recipes I've seen are all for cookies and cakes. But I'll bet it would be good ingredient for making a pork glaze, or sauce for ribs. If I had some I would experiment around that way. l

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I started Goggling and found some good examples of savory dishes using apples butter for a sauce or glaze:

Cedar Plank Braided Salmon With Apple Butter Sauce

http://www.recipezaar.com/102771

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Apple Butter Glaze

http://www.southernoregonsauce.com/recipe-...utter-glaze.htm

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I actually just made two loaves of sour cream banana bread (pictures on the sweets thread) and used about a cup of apple butter in the batter. Not a real strong taste, but I can definitely tell that it's in there.

Long ago I spent some time at Bucknell University that is in the heart of Amish country. One of my favorite Amish foods was simply apple butter spread on homemade white bread with schmierkase, which is a type of dry curd cottage cheese. A delicious breakfast :wub:

I've used it to great success as a glaze for smoked or grilled salmon

Yup- I treat it like any marmalade or jam in my larder and use it whenever a bit of sweetness is called for. Examples are glazes, marinades, salad dressings, and dipping sauces. You add sweetness with the bonus of an additional flavor layer.

I often add some grated ginger to it and cook it a bit more so the ginger flavor is infused into the apple butter.

I use it for filling between thin layers of spice cake. That is, I bake spice cake in regular pans and slice each layer horizontally into three thin layers.

This makes for a very nice moist confection-like cake, especially when coated with burnt-sugar frosting.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Pork. Apple butter with pork.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Pork definitely pork!

Also mixed with softened vanilla ice cream and put in a graham cracker crust, freeze. Before serving top with caramel sauce. Easy dessert and really good.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

I make a bbq sauce with apple butter I get from an Amish market (when I don't eat a whole jar with fresh bread :rolleyes: !) by pureeing a sweet yellow onion and then simmering it with apple butter, a bit of molasses, apple cider vinegar and ancho chile powder. Sometimes tomato paste, if I remeber. Once, I ran out of stove room and simmered it on the grill with the pork I was cooking, and it was lovely and smokey. It's great with pork, of course, but also good with grilled chicken and I have even dollopped it on a steak.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini