• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shaun Hill & The Walnut Tree

I wrote this http://www.bighospitality.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=1094 for Restaurant magazine but the Walnut Tree was still a building site when I was there. I did get to taste a few of the dishes in the rather breezy kitchen and they were up to Shaun's usual high standard. Because its a busy brasserie, its different kettle of fish from Merchant House, although a few items like the goats cheese gnocchi do reappear. The menu reads very well indeed I have to say http://www.thewalnuttreeinn.com/restaurant-menu.html.

sure the food and place will be back to its former self with roger at the helm!!

They should just attach a blue plaque saying 'Franco cooked here' and turn it into a private house. Or if a restaurant, change the name. The Walnut Tree was a unique place in time. It's gone.

S

sure the food and place will be back to its former self with roger at the helm!!

They should just attach a blue plaque saying 'Franco cooked here' and turn it into a private house. Or if a restaurant, change the name. The Walnut Tree was a unique place in time. It's gone.

S

so does that mean that it is no longer worthy of having a good reputation and serving good food under another chef(s)?

S

so does that mean that it is no longer worthy of having a good reputation and serving good food under another chef(s)?

Did I say that? Franco and Anne created the Tree, so I think that a new chef should trade under a new name and make his/her own reputation. That's what I would want to do anyway.

S

Did I say that? Franco and Anne created the Tree, so I think  that a new chef should trade under a new name and make his/her own reputation. That's what I would want to do anyway.

S

It is said to be bad luck to change the name of buildings that were pubs - I don't know if The Walnut Tree was or not but given its location I think it must have been. Even if they did change the name it would always be known as 'that place that used to be the Walnut Tree'.

I don't think you would have Ford changing the name of Jaguar or Volkswagen changing the name of Bentley.

Did I say that? Franco and Anne created the Tree, so I think  that a new chef should trade under a new name and make his/her own reputation. That's what I would want to do anyway.

S

It is said to be bad luck to change the name of buildings that were pubs - I don't know if The Walnut Tree was or not but given its location I think it must have been. Even if they did change the name it would always be known as 'that place that used to be the Walnut Tree'.

I don't think you would have Ford changing the name of Jaguar or Volkswagen changing the name of Bentley.

Jaguar et al are brands, marques, it's not the same thing at all. If it was a pub with that name originally, as you say, then there be a valid historical/heritage reason to keep the name. Only if that name goes back further than, say, 100 years though.

s