• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spelt Pasta

Pam R

This topic on whole wheat pasta has shown that there are some very strong opinions on it. The consensus seems to be not to bother. Gluten and I have a very antagonistic relationship, and if we're going to socialize, I want to get as much out of it as possible.

So now I'm wondering about spelt, which would be a better option for me anyway. Has anybody tried any of the dried spelt pastas available? Any brands you can recommend?

I just ordered Latini farro pasta on the Internet. Farro is sometimes translated as "spelt" and sometimes not. There seems to be some question whether it is "whole grain" or not, but I'll tell you more about the taste after trying it.

I tried Whole Foods whole wheat pasta, recommended in Fine Cooking. Made in Italy, but I didn't like it, and tossed the package after trying it. If I'm going to enjoy pasta, I want it to taste good, not just as though it's good for me.

Farro (aka emmer ) is Triticum dicoccon and spelt is Triticum spelta. Both are kinds of wheat. It's not clear to me that either one is necessarily helpful for people who have problems with gluten. Unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to get a true Italian dry pasta experience with low gluten.

--

This topic on whole wheat pasta has shown that there are some very strong opinions on it. The consensus seems to be not to bother.  Gluten and I have a very antagonistic relationship, and if we're going to socialize, I want to get as much out of it as possible.

So now I'm wondering about spelt, which would be a better option for me anyway.  Has anybody tried any of the dried spelt pastas available?  Any brands you can recommend?

Hi Pam.

One of my personal chef clients can't tolerate wheat either, but she loves my lasagna!! She gave me a box of Artisan Acres Kamut Pasta to try. Its made in Canada, btw. She says its great, but then of course lasagna is often about so much more than the pasta.

I haven't tried dried spelt pasta, but I sometimes buy fresh spelt pasta and really like it. Considering that I usually have upwards of 40 kg of spelt flour around, I should be making pasta myself, but c'est la vie. Our (the bakery's) line for spelt and Kamut, is that it is not suitable for celiacs because it certainly has gluten, but that some people who are sensitive to wheat flour can do spelt, Kamut or 100% rye. I do have customers who tell me they can tolerate one of spelt or Kamut, but not the other.

I can tolerate spelt, whereas wheat can be an issue (diagnosed by a doc as a gluten-intolerance, but I can go with 'wheat intolerance'). I've never tried kamut, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to get to the health food store this weekend to see what they have. I'll see if they have the Artisan Acres brand.

Does it have to be spelt?

I have been buying lentil bean dry pasta (gluten and wheat free) for my family and the kids LOVE it, which, sad to say is my baseline these days.

The box says "Papadini" on the front, but the contact ifo is Adrienne's Gourmet Foods in Santa Barbara, CA.

www.adriennes.com

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”