• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food neuroses that drive you nuts

Fat Guy

My wife has a million of 'em. Boston Irish Catholic raised on boiled everything. Me? lived on 3 continents by age 18 and forced to eat whatever or starve.

Most recent vein-buster:

I made a killer stuffing with local rye bread cubes, local celery, local onions, local garlic, local fennel, local fresh chorizo, our own fresh oregano and thyme... moistened just so with my homemade chicken/hamhock stock and baked for half hour...

...she says the rye bread smelled "funny" and didn't eat any. :wacko:

Another one is whole fish. Guess how long it's been since I've baked a whole fish? :angry:

Not to worry: it's a challenge to create things she'll eat and we've made much progress. Sushi? check. Pate? OK w/that. Finally conquered mushrooms last Autumn.

Slow is the march of love in the kitchen but worthy is the journey.

Edited by johnnyd (log)
  • Like 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Is it asking too much for an adult not to be irrationally picky about food? Apparently so. I don't like seeing a little pile something(onions, peas, etc.) that has been carefully picked out of a salad or whatever on the side of somebody's otherwise clean plate. They probably think that they are being polite because they haven't said anything, and I suppose they are. I have a friend who has several things he will not eat for a variety of reasons--salmon,cheesecake, mushrooms and dishes with eggs as an obvious primary ingredient(such as egg salad--he will eat baked goods, puddings, etc. with eggs) He calls mushrooms "fungi". Not only that whenever that food comes up in conversation, he always reminds people he doesn't like it. For example, I might say I'm going to Fred Meyer to buy a salmon on sale and he will again mention that he doesn't like it, even though he knows I wasn't planning to serve it to him. I was just letting him know I was going to Fred Meyer.

Unbeknownst to me, spinach must have been on his list of hates. Once he was eating salad at my house, and remarked how good the lettuce was. I said, "That lettuce was spinach."

The mushroom thing really bothers me, though. I really like them, and just can't give them up. Often when he comes over, salad mushrooms are in a little bowl on the side, and of course he announces to all present why these mushrooms are being served on the side. Beef Bourgonione and Coq au Vin? He just never gets asked over when I make those. He would probably like them, but I'm too stubborn to make them without mushrooms.

• 3 years later...

I lunch with a group of friends every Monday. One friend is someone I'd call 'Mikey' because she hates EVERYTHING!

She won't eat: eggs, milk, seafood of any kind, beans, mushrooms, beef unless it's WELL done, dark meat chicken, rye bread. You get the picture. I cannot imagine life with so many limitations.

• 10 years later...
On 5/25/2013 at 7:25 AM, lindag said:

She won't eat: eggs, milk, seafood of any kind, beans, mushrooms, beef unless it's WELL done, dark meat chicken, rye bread.

I hate it when people claim to be allergic to foods that they don't like. My daughter has decided that she is allergic to just about every food group on the planet. I can't imagine what she actually is eating. I used to dread trying to find something to feed her when she came to visit but at least I don't have to worry anymore. She's decided that she's allergic to airports and airplanes.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

My husband won't eat cold cheese, but he enjoys melted cheese (pizza, nachos, etc.). He says it's a texture thing, but I think its PTSD from when he worked for a large cheese manufacturer😁.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

22 hours ago, BeeZee said:

but I think its PTSD from when he worked for a large cheese manufacturer

Sounds plausible to me. I worked four summers in the cornfields detasseling corn* when I was a teenager. For 30 years I couldn't stand corn or anything made with corn. I couldn't even stand the smell of corn.

* The procedure by which hybrid corn is produced.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 2