• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kingsway, from Vancouver to Burnaby

maxmillan

I've been driving more frequently along this route and notice the array of ethnic restaurants (Korean, Indian, Vietnamese, Shanghai, etc.) I have eaten at some restaurants along this strip but it was due to suggestions and recommendations by friends.

Can someone suggest a good restaurant along Kingsway? I like mom and pop style restaurants, hole-in-the-walls to ecletic menues.

off the top of my head: abdul's bbq (shawarma place at kingsway and willingdon at crystal mall), chilli pepper house (indian-style chinese at kingsway and rupert), hand-pulled chinese noodle place (can't remember the name, but it's a couple blocks east of chilli pepper house -- the food is great but the service sucks), happy day metro house (korean at kingsway and marlborough, just east of metrotown).

these are all smaller-type places. good luck!

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

On that strech:

Hai Phong - 1242 Kingsway - My favourite pho in Vancouver. They also have Vietnamese hotpots.

Chili Pepper House - 3003 Kingsway - Indian Chinese food. Definitely an acquired taste, but something you don't see many places outside of India (and apparently Vancouver)

Crystal Mall Foodcourt - 4500 Kingsway - An excellent selection of various types of Asian fast food. The stall that sells the Fried chicken knees, and the one that sells Huanxi Spicy soup are my favourites.

Hanwoori - 5740 Imperial (right off Kingsway) - excellent Korean BBQ

Enjoy, and do report back to share any finds you make!

One more I would add is House of Dosas for south indian food. The place is family-run and welcoming. Most important, the dosas are good. They have a particular cheap dosa deal on Mondays IIRC.

Edited to add: it's located on Kingsway at Knight.

Edited by Clover (log)

Canucklehead introduced me to Ningdu, at 2130 Kingsway. Loved the bang-bang ( or was it bam-bam?) chicken - a cold salad with poached chicken and cucumber, if I am remembering correctly. I've been meaning to go back . . . .

And vanmag.com has a few suggestions on Kingsway here:

http://www.vancouvermagazine.com/restauran.../Kingsway.shtml

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Hi Genki!

Very very homstyle Japanese food in the Japanese Senior Center.  Run by Fujiya.

Don't expect gourmet and be prepared for some quirky food.  Apparently opened by Fujiya so that the seniors at the center could have the home cooking that they missed.

There was a nice little piece on Global news this evening (the human interest segment that Mike McCartel does every night). It was about the young chef at Hi Genki (Andrew Yakamoto) out foraging in the landscaped bushes around the Japanese Senior Center for different leaves and greens to use in the menu. He talked about using bamboo leaves to wrap around prawns and the new maple leaves that will be coming out soon to be used in Tempura.

I ate there one New Year's Eve about three years ago and as Canucklehead mentions the food is fairly basic but perhaps with Andrew in the kitchen we can look for a few more traditional items. Good country cooking would make me happy!

Lao Shan Dong Homemade Noodle House on the northwest corner of Kingsway & Nelson (just east of Metrotown) has some of the best noodles in town.

I second Flowbee's recommendation of Abdul's BBQ - Abdul is a man who knows his shawarma.

Crystal Mall Food Court in general has very good food for not much money. Gets crazy busy around lunchtime (11:45-1:30).

Kura is a surprisingly good Japanese place about a block west of Willingdon on the south side of Kingsway. Right next door is Saffron, an Indian restaurant that does a great lunch buffet.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

i didn't read all the replies since i'm in class.but what bout pho hong on waltham and kingsway. i love their soup base for the pho. its not heavy on m.s.g. that place i think at some point in time must have been a greek restaurant cuz that's what the decorations inside look like. its busy busy.

Edited by foodcrazed (log)

i didn't read all the replies since i'm in class.but what bout pho hong on waltham and kingsway. i love their soup base for the pho. its not heavy on m.s.g.  that place i think at some point in time must have been a greek restaurant cuz that's what the decorations inside look like. its busy busy.

Pho Hong was the first Vietnamese noodle place that I ever went to, although I can't say it's the best place for noodles in the Lower Mainland I would say that it's definitely one of the top places. What I really look for is consistency and both the noodles and broth are usually very good.

Places for Korean food on Kingsway. Woo Rae Oak has gotten better recently, think the cook or the owner changed in the last year or so. Han Woo Ri is a decent spot too, I just can't get over finding a rotten quail egg in my jap tang bap. But I like how they serve shik kae at the end of the meal. My last visit to Mi Sun Rae was very bad. The non-marinated galbi was very tough and they even got one of our meat orders wrong. Don't think we've gone back since.

A place that I liked to go to before is Pearl House on Kingsway and Sperling, pretty standard Taiwanese style food. In Crystal Mall I really like Libo for their HK cafe style food and milk tea. Also in the mall is Top Gun where you can get some dim sum, I can't say it's the best but probably the best I can find so close to home.

For sushi [sushi Garden] really depends whether or not the owner is there. The portions are pretty big and I think that's the main reason why people go. I've only been there once but Sushi Haru had some interesting stuff to offer like their salmon pizza, some of their stuff can be seen here. I haven't been there in about a year so I'll have to go back and check to see how things are going.

That's about it for now, it's late and I'm not sure if my sentences are making any sense. If there's anything I'm leaving out I'll post it up later.

• 1 month later...

Hi Genki as noted upthread

gallery_25348_1373_50948.jpg

Potato Croquettes w/ Tonkatsu Sauce - very nicely fried.

gallery_25348_1373_79585.jpg

Chicken with Daikon over rice. Fried Ebi and Fish dinner

gallery_25348_1373_35703.jpggallery_25348_1373_81727.jpg

Amitsu and Ice Cream rolled in cornflakes and fried.

gallery_25348_1373_9511.jpggallery_25348_1373_23649.jpg

The prices for most meals float around $7 - everything pictured was sub $30. Pretty staggeringly good deal really. Recent specials include a grilled makerel mean and a dessert of banana tempura served with ice cream.

The cooking is so homey and grandma - its insane. The quality is quite good - certainly much better than Hachi Bei on 16th. The restaurant is in a old folks home and is located just off Kingsway - but it feels lilke a million miles a way - the little street is so green and lush with white cherry trees.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

:biggrin:

Aha! That's the spot my friend keeps talking about. Only he was so vague about the place.

"It's this place inside a senior center and it's really home style japanese food. I think it's somewhere in vancouver but it could be burnaby. Definitely in BC."

Thanks buddy.

I'm excited to try it out.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Aha!  That's the spot my friend keeps talking about.  Only he was so vague about the place. 

"It's this place inside a senior center and it's really home style japanese food.  I think it's somewhere in vancouver but it could be burnaby.  Definitely in BC."

Thanks buddy.

Lot's of Chinese people in there already - taking advantage of homestyle cooking at great prices. Two caveats:

1) Be patient with the service - it very good, but remember that its an old folks home afterall.

2) The menu is a good sized - but what you see is what you get. My uncle wanted Hamachi - sorry sir - your out of luck.

Have fun!

Aha!  That's the spot my friend keeps talking about.  Only he was so vague about the place. 

"It's this place inside a senior center and it's really home style japanese food.  I think it's somewhere in vancouver but it could be burnaby.  Definitely in BC."

Thanks buddy.

Lot's of Chinese people in there already - taking advantage of homestyle cooking at great prices. Two caveats:

1) Be patient with the service - it very good, but remember that its an old folks home afterall.

2) The menu is a good sized - but what you see is what you get. My uncle wanted Hamachi - sorry sir - your out of luck.

Have fun!

Thanks for the heads up on this. This is the king of stuff I'm looking for!