• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vulcan Ranges

Junior

As we are looking at moving into a newer space with more equipment. I have found a number of Vulcan ranges and deepfryers to purchase for a reasonable price. I am wondering, not being familar with this company, what are other chefs experiences with this company and would you recommend them to us. We are looking at a 8 burner range with 2 stoves, 2 burner with griddle range, and possibly a electric high pressure deep fryer. Thanks for your time.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

I have used Vulcan ranges for the better part of my professional life, and have to say that they are sturdy, well built and generally hold up very well for the long run. Although the pan supports over the burners are great for larger pans, but I have found them to be too "coarse" for smaller pots as compared with some other brands. Also, the cast iron "spiders" that hold the pans over the burners are rather fragile, and you are bound to break one over the course of time. That said, I find them to be good, reliable pieces of equipment, and have spec'ed them for new restaurant build-outs for many years. As for the fryer, I have no experience with electric high pressure fryers, but I have come to realize over the years that the best fryer is the simplest. Give me one with a gas valve and mechanical thermostat and I'll be happy.

All of this now having been said, I must point out a critical truth for all equipment purchases. When a particular piece of equipment goes down, it can put you out of business if it can't be repaired promptly. Given that Vulcan is located on the east coast of the US, make sure that there is someone local in Saskatchewan who not only repairs equipment, but also is familiar with the brand, and most importantly, has quick access to replacement parts. One of the reasons that I have always spec'ed Vulcan products was that I could get replacement parts for almost anything the same day, or the next at latest.

Best of luck, and don't hesitate to ask for more info,

Erich

As we are looking at moving into a newer space with more equipment.  I have found a number of Vulcan ranges and deepfryers to purchase for a reasonable price.  I am wondering, not being familar with this company, what are other chefs experiences with this company and would you recommend them to us.  We are looking at a 8 burner range with 2 stoves, 2 burner with griddle range, and possibly a electric high pressure deep fryer.  Thanks for your time.

Disclaimer: I don't have years of restaurant experience.

I am currently attending a culinary school that has exclusively Vulcan ranges. I have no idea how old they are, and granted, most of the students are (kids) who probably beat the hell out of the equipment, but there are many ranges that just don't work very well.

I would say the burners hold up fairly well, but only 50-60% of the ovens work. We have oven doors that swing open all the time and some just don't get up to cooking temperature very well.

I've heard good things about Garland.