• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making pasta with Farina 00 Flour

VPF

Does anyone here have exact weight measurements for making pasta with Farina 00 flour? The chef that I work for only wants yolks, 00 flour, and salt as the ingredients. He told me to just add the yolks to the flour in a robo coupe till it forms a dough but I've found that if I add too much yolk, the dough starts to buckle and warp as I roll it out. Any suggestions?

Does anyone here have exact weight measurements for making pasta with Farina 00 flour? The chef that I work for only wants yolks, 00 flour, and salt as the ingredients. He told me to just add the yolks to the flour in a robo coupe till it forms a dough but I've found that if I add too much yolk, the dough starts to buckle and warp as I roll it out. Any suggestions?

i did this too at a restaurant i used to work at except we sous vide the dough for later use. That helped a little as it gave time for the flour to absorb the moisture from the yolks, which made for a smoother dough when rolling out on a pasta machine. We used a little olive oil too. I dunno if that helps or not but thats my two cents.

Edited by Truc (log)

yeah.. letting it rest is a good idea.

usually the ratio for ITalian pasta is 40 yolks per kilo, in Piedmonte, but what size eggs and what has the chicken eaten make a big difference as well as the weather!

When I worked in a restaurant in SF we also did yolk only pasta, but back then ( 25 years ago!!!) we used all purpose flour.