• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mid range restaurants in Alexandria

azurite

I'll be attending a meeting towards the end of April in Alexandria, VA. All those attending will be staying at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center. On Saturday evening, attendees are free to eat dinner where they please--it's a fairly small volunteer organization so we often sort ourselves into 2 or 3 (or 4) small groups, depending on who wants to eat where. I'm hoping to get the names (& website addresses, if available) of a variety of inexpensive (but not McDonald's) to mid range restaurants.

I'm not at all familiar with what kinds of places Alexandria has (probably most people won't want to go all that far from Alexandria). I like (and know a few others like), Indian, Thai, Chinese (all kinds probably Szechuan for sure), Italian. Fish, vegetarian is fine with me, I think some other members are more partial to a place w/good beef and generally alot of meat.

My own preference would be to try a restaurant that cooked with local produce/meats as much as possible--just to see what the chef/cooks come up with. My sister lives in another part of northern VA, & a year or so ago we went to a farmers' market not far from where she lives and I was impressed with the range of produce & fruit (the fruit was mostly apples, but really good apples & cider) available in mid-October, plus the availability of some good organically grown produce.

I'd be happy with 5 or 6 suggestions of places offering good food at a moderate/medium range price (even if they don't use local produce/meats/fish). Don't think there'd be any more than 7-9 people choosing to eat the the same place. Don't know for sure, as depending on where we meet, more spouses, SOs, adult children of members, may join members for dinner on Saturday.

If I haven't supplied enough information, let me know.

I've started a separate thread from the other thread requesting information about restaurants in Alexandria as it seemed the poster was planning on spending a great deal more money on his/her meal than the meeting attendees will want to spend.

Thanks in advance.

azurite

In Old Town, which is not far from where you're staying , there are many options.

Vermillion-Excellent cooking by Anthony Chittum. He cooks local and seasonal. Mid range prices.

Hank's Oyster Bar-Great seafood and meat and two specials. Casual and mid range prices.

Majestic-American/Seafood/Comfort Food. The table side made Caesar salad is excellent.

A La Lucia in N. Old Town for Italian

Fontaine Caffe & Creperie- a new bistro for light fare, savory and sweet crepes, nice wine list.

Jackson 20- newly opened in the Hotel Monaco- Modern American with a Southern emphasis

Hard Times Cafe- an excellent casual place for burgers, wings and of course- CHILI!!

There is a wide range of restaurants in the Shirlington town center-also nearby to you. Just about every type of ethnic cuisine. Carlyle is part of a local restaurant group and is a real crowd pleaser-something for everyone and the prices are good. They don't take reservations but have a call ahead policy which I'd urge you to use.

Also, right at the Mark Center is Clyde's of Clyde's restaurant group. I've always liked Clydes-they offer specials every now and then which can be really good deals. For example, now they are offering a crab cake special which I feel the need to take advantage of soon! :wink:

http://www.clydes.com/main/MenusList.cfm?R..._at_Mark_Center

Edited by monavano (log)

Try any of the following:

Rustico for unbelievable beer selection and great menu, including pizzas

Evening Star Cafe for a reasonably priced but good-quality neighborhood restaurant w/ a great wine list

Vermilion in Old Town for a more refined menu with serious commitment to local farmers and purveyors

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Try any of the following:

Rustico for unbelievable beer selection and great menu, including pizzas

Evening Star Cafe for a reasonably priced but good-quality neighborhood restaurant w/ a great wine list

Vermilion in Old Town for a more refined menu with serious commitment to local farmers and purveyors

Have fun!

Kind of funny how all three of these places are owned by the same group. Makes me suspect that the maker of the post has some affiliatioin with the ownership group. Monavano has the better suggestions, which includes Vermillion.

Thanks to everyone who's responded so far. At the moment, based on what I've read here & on looking at menus on websites, Vermillon is my first choice. But I'll be passing on most of the suggestions to the person who's in charge of making travel/hotel/etc arrangements.

azurite