• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Little Owl

Nathan

the sliders are as good as ever....

...the pork chop is, of course, still insanely good....

So, this isn't one of those seasonal menu-changing restaurants? I guess this makes sense for a "neighborhood restaurant" (or, why it's considered one)... I guess the regulars have to have their, well, "regular."
a horseradish topped halibut served with chive and lemon mashed potatoes was an interesting dish.  note to the two-star detractors up the thread:  this was exactly the sort of dish one sees at classic two (and a few years back, three) star restaurants....as soon as I saw and tasted it I thought "this is so totally Union Square Cafe"....it was absolutely perfectly cooked, the horseradish showed excellent technique, and the dish was completely boring.  so, yeah, they can do that food just fine.  I'd rather that they not thank you very much.

Was it fresh horseradish grated over the fish, or was it horseradish sauce?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

something had been done to the horseradish...I don't know what...and then it was kind of grated over the halibut.

Sorry to fixate on this, but what makes you think they did something to the horseradish? The reason I ask is because I love freshly grated horseradish over beef and often, over fish if it is roasted, to soften the flavors of the radish. Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 3 months later...

Met some people here, we had a 730 reservation.. Now, I had not read anything about Little Owl and really had no expectations.. After telling my buddy I was going here, he had mentioned to me that the pork chop and the meatball sliders were among the things I should get.. Who am I to argue..

The place, is very tiny, very cute, very villagey, and comfortable for its size.. Has a really relaxed cool vibe without being pretensious.. The menu is simple and comforting.. In fact the whole experience reminded me a lot of this place I love in Montreal, Joe Beef..

Before I write the review, I just want to say I really enjoyed my dinner last night.. The company was the best part but, the meal was good too.. Its a great little neighborhood spot that is turning out some really good simple food.. Its not ground breaking, its not fantastic, but its solid.. I guess if I hadn't read all these reviews of the place afterwards, I wouldnt feel the need to be so harsh.. Excellent its not, worthy of waiting a month for a reservation, or standing on line for an hour, hells no..

We started with a round of sliders for the table..

2278970573_9d7da5e1d8.jpg

I love sliders and little sandwiches MORE then the next guy. maybe more then the next few guys.. But these just dont do it for me.. The meatballs were under-seasoned, the buns were nothing special, the "gravy" was ok.. Could I go into any pizza place in Jersey and get a better meatball sub, yes.. Do I think it was bad, no.. They were ok, nothing great.. I would expect any novice with an internet connection to be able to make something similar..

Next up for me was an artichoke dish.. Perfectly fried artichoke, served in a lemon parm broth with arugala.. The artichoke was fried perfectly, the broth didnt add much to the dish, the slices of cheese were a wonderful wingman.. Simple, well done, pure to the product.. Each dish was non-challant respect.

2278970379_d62ffdc133.jpg

These photos came out well.. I was able to try a few other dishes at this time.. My cousin got the truffle risotto with an egg on top.. This dish became repeatative.. After the first bite, I was more then happy to pass it along.. Miss A got a scallop dish that was really enjoyable..

2279762152_08a858fe84.jpg

For the main, I was really happy to see a big ol' pork chop.. I have a confession, I have had 4 porkchops my entire life.. Well there was that one day in Montana, where I had 4 fried porkchop sandwiches in a matter of 4 hours but, only 4 grilled, on the bone pork chops.. This was not up there with my favorites.. I felt the chop was a few degrees too cooked.. Still a little pink and juicy but, I asked for it medium rare.. This was a solid medium.. I really liked the fennel pollen? they used with the chop.. It was butchered beautifully and of really high quality.. Enjoyed the greek take on it with the Dandelion Greens and the Gigantes.. Again, if this place was three blocks from my house, I would be eating this pork chop once a month maybe..

2279762512_a661f212f0.jpg

There is a nice listing of cheese for dessert all priced really well.. I think it was 4 dollars a piece and 14 for many..

Several desserts were passed around the table.. A rice pudding that was ok, fried beignets filled with raspberry filling and served with nutella, and a few other things.. Who doesnt like a fried doughnut?

2279762624_d91e5fa361_b.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2254/2279762624_d91e5fa361_b.jpg

So what the hell am I saying about this place? Its very good, its very honest, its very cool.. If anything its New York's fault for coveting this place, flocking here and making it a scene.. Its New York's fault for not having one of these in every neighborhood.. There is no reason why any cook out of cooking school shouldnt be able to open a place like this and make simple well executed food..

Edited by Daniel (log)