• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Creuset Round 7.25qt $169.99 - 5.5qt $149.99

JoshRountree

In this morning's email was one from Chefs Catalog  stating "Look what's new from Le Creuset" and clicking on the "New" takes you to

This page.

I'm not sure what is actually "New" as these all seem to be things that have been around for a while.

A friend sent me this link to Factory Direct 2 You  and asked if I thought the prices were all that great.  Compared to the regular prices, they aren't bad, but one can often find new or nearly new items on ebay.  The free shipping is a bonus, considering the weight of cast iron.

The only problem with Ebay is Le Creuset will not warranty it. You could say you got it as a gift, but if you come right out and say "I bought this from Ebay, will you warranty it" they won't. I learned the hard way... I could always call back and say it was a gift, but ordering from Amazon ensures not warranty problems down the road.

This has no barring on anyone here but it cracks me up when $150-$200 for a cast iron pot is considered a good deal.  Compared to it's retail price, I guess it IS a good deal but this thought pops into my head...why not pay $50 for a Lodge?  It's not ceramic coated but still could be used with success.  If not Lodge, why not a large Chamba casserole clay pot if you're worried about acidity reaction?  Is spending that much just for the ease of use and versatility?

I prefer the Le Creuset because of the enameling and it just makes more sense to me to have the thermal properties of cast iron, and no reaction. I caught myself asking the same question, but I put it in perspective that most people buy a new computer every 4-5 years at the most, and probably a new car every now and again. So a $150-$200 piece of cookware that will get used often, last a lifetime, and can be handed down to children or grand children doesn't seem to much.

If you're a member of Costco, you can buy this Le Creuset 6.75 qt. French Oven at its current everyday price of $189.99, shipping & handling included.

It's a great price, but I think a lot of people prefer the round instead of the oval shape.

I believe it was Fat Guy who once suggested in another eGullet discussion that the oval might be a better buy since larger or irregular cuts of meat can fit better in the oval pot than in the round one. Makes sense to me.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

If I buy something second-hand on eBay for a fraction of the retail price, I don't worry about a warranty from Le Creuset, such as the 3 1/2 qt Buffet Casserole I purchased for $45.00 a year ago. The individual selling it had received several pieces of Le Creuset for wedding gifts and was living in an apartment with a tiny kitchen and had no plans for using the stuff. At that price I would never consider invoking a warranty.

It was in the original box with the stickers intact, so obviously had not been used.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I believe it was Fat Guy who once suggested in another eGullet discussion that the oval might be a better buy since larger or irregular cuts of meat can fit better in the oval pot than in the round one. Makes sense to me.

Oh, sorry nothing personal, I don't mean it doesn't have it's uses and I am the oval is great oven. But I want to use it stovetop too, and an oval would not fit well over my burners. And it did look like most of the posts here were about rounds and not ovals, so I just surmised ....

Andiesenji, I don't have any proof, but I hear that a lot of the cookware and kitchen items like that are realistic looking knockoffs. I'm not saying that yours is a knockoff or anything, just that you have to be really careful about what you purchase over EBay. There is big money being made in bootlegging name brand items, and it is becoming more common every day. It would not be too difficult for some company to make convincing Le Creuset knockoffs and make a small fortune doing it.

I wonder if these are real??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=150217794563

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

but this thought pops into my head...why not pay $50 for a Lodge?  It's not ceramic coated but still could be used with success. 

OR! get a lodge that IS enamel coated. I got this one,

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Enamel-Cast-Ir...=pd_sim_k_img_5

which is $50. I've heard (but cannot confirm) that these have 2 layers of porcelain as opposed to 4, but I have this item and it works like a dream. And, being a starving graduate student, there's no way I'd pony up for le creuset!!

I also got this one

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Enamel-Quart-D...=pd_sim_k_img_5

for $28 (3qt). The prices vary on all of the colors, but they are a fabulous deal.

I also plan to get

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Enamel-Covered...=pd_sim_k_img_1

but have to save up again : ( (lol)

This has no barring on anyone here but it cracks me up when $150-$200 for a cast iron pot is considered a good deal.

I do believe me and Octave are cut from the same cloth! :biggrin:

Seven years ago, I bought a 7+ quart Le Creuset oval enameled cast iron oven on my honeymoon in Paris, and I think it's great! A year or so ago, I bought a 5 quart round enameled cast iron oven from Target for 30 bucks. It's also great! They perform virtually the same!

The Target pot is starting to show some external wear from 60-some NNTK bread cycles, but the interior looks just the same. Based on my experience, I doubt I'll ever buy another piece of Le Creuset (or Staub) at retail (or on sale). If I score a piece at deep discount, fine. Otherwise, there are other (cheaper) options...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I

Andiesenji, I don't have any proof, but I hear that a lot of the cookware and kitchen items like that are realistic looking knockoffs. I'm not saying that yours is a knockoff or anything, just that you have to be really careful about what you purchase over EBay. There is big money being made in bootlegging name brand items, and it is becoming more common every day. It would not be too difficult for some company to make convincing Le Creuset knockoffs and make a small fortune doing it.

I wonder if these are real??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=150217794563

The Le Creuset pieces I have purchased on eBay are real, not sold by questionable vendors with thousands of sales, but by individuals. The colors of the knock-offs are a dead giveaway and I have been collecting the stuff for thirty years. Each manufacturer has their own secret formula for coloring the enamel and it is not easy to duplicate.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

You can get a 7.25 qt. Le Creuset oven in Satin Black only for $149.99 shipped. They also have a 6 piece set with a 5.5 oven for $279.99. Both great deals as other Satin Black pieces are full price! As of 6:35 PM EST it's still there at that price. I just checked!

http://www.amazon.com/Creuset-Quart-Round-...03982405&sr=1-7

Hate to ask a stupid question, but does "satin finish" mean that they are not enameled? I noticed that their list price is less that the Creuset's specifically labeled "enamled", and wondered why their was a difference.

Yes, the piece is fully enameled. Only a few pieces are reduced in this color. Most are the same price or even more than the colored ones. The interior is their high temp enamel, which will hold up better over time and take higher temps without damage. The exterior is a different matte black enamel. It's very stylish if you don't mind all that black, and a great deal. Nice to not have to worry about the light interior staining or losing it's shine over time.

If you look to the right on that page you will see cooking.com has it for $259.99 now, which is the usual price. It's quite a buy!

The red 7 1/4 qt round oven is on sale again on amazon.com right this minute for 169.99. It was on sale late last night for 169.99 - and by morning it was 259.99 again.

This has happened for several days.

I think they only put it on sale after 10:00 pm or so EST and keep it on sale for maybe a few hours - but by midday it's always up again. So maybe this is a deal for chronic insomniacs.

Mine came today; I haven't unboxed it yet...

Edited by Melic (log)

I was visiting with one of my neighbors this morning and got some interesting information from one of her daughters and one of her nieces, also visiting today. The girls were married last summer in a double wedding and they both received enameled cast iron cookware.

Her niece was given a set of Mario Batali and my neighbor gave her daughter these pieces from Brylane Home. (The Dutch oven and the grill pan plus a skillet that is apparently no longer available.)

Both girls do a lot of cooking and have said they are very pleased with the cookware they received.

Her niece also was given a small Le Creuset saucepan and says she doesn't think it is any better than the Mario Batali. In fact, she thinks the stainless steel lid handles are safer to use in the brick oven her husband built for baking pizza. She also has the 9 quart oven and the lasagna pan.

Incidentally, both girls are even now visiting eG as guests and I am hoping they will join as I think they have a lot to offer having family food traditions from Italy, Albania and Cyprus.

Oh, Dear Lord.

Caro gave me that 7+ one for Christmas last year.  Plus the BIGGG stock/pasta pot.

I'm appalled at the prices.  I never knew.

Have no fear and put away those smelling salts!

I went to" Tuesday morning" when I made my purchase specifically for the Le Creuset that was advertised on sale.

To set your mind at ease ( and make a few others jealous) I was able to get both the 7.5 qt ($139 )and the large stockpot($39.99) for the unbelievably low price of just under $180!!!! I thought it was an absolute steal

And you would be worth it at 10 times the price!!!!LOVE :wub::wub::wub:

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Got home from work today and there, at the front gate, was a box from Amazon. This baby is sweeeet. 7.25 quarts of cast iron and enamel. I can't wait to get some dead chicken in it!

Raoul

"I drink to make other people interesting".