• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A few days in Taiwan

Ling

It looks just like what we call cherimoya, and it's got to be one of the most delicious fruits ever.  Ling, you can definitely get cherimoya in Seattle, so you can tell us if it's the same fruit.

I've not had Cherimoya, but I've seen it and I don't think it's the same thing.

But report back anyway Ling! :biggrin:

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Quite possibly the most delicious fruit in the world! This is called "sika" (sp?). It's very soft and fragrant, kind of like mango.

2270088272_a0042f46f0.jpg

This brings us to the end of our trip in Taiwan. I may have double-posted some pictures since I didn't go back to check to see what I've already posted, but hope you enjoyed this thread nonetheless.  :smile:

I think this is Soursop, not custard apple.

You know, you might be right. I've only seen them whole and then as juice (I drink it constantly when I'm in Vietnam). I've never seen it cut up.

I didn't have time to elaborate yesterday, but with custard apple, you don't usually cut it up. If it's ripe enough to eat, you'd just pull it open with your hands, so you'd not have straight lines.

Plus, you don't get straight lines with custard apple anyway, because you'd probably need to cut through seeds--custard apple has more seeds.

Well, I'm not persuaded on that point - I cut open custard apples!

Quite possibly the most delicious fruit in the world! This is called "sika" (sp?). It's very soft and fragrant, kind of like mango.

2270088272_a0042f46f0.jpg

This brings us to the end of our trip in Taiwan. I may have double-posted some pictures since I didn't go back to check to see what I've already posted, but hope you enjoyed this thread nonetheless.  :smile:

I think this is Soursop, not custard apple.

You know, you might be right. I've only seen them whole and then as juice (I drink it constantly when I'm in Vietnam). I've never seen it cut up.

I didn't have time to elaborate yesterday, but with custard apple, you don't usually cut it up. If it's ripe enough to eat, you'd just pull it open with your hands, so you'd not have straight lines.

Plus, you don't get straight lines with custard apple anyway, because you'd probably need to cut through seeds--custard apple has more seeds.

Well, I'm not persuaded on that point - I cut open custard apples!

I love soursops, custard apples and cherimoyas and after reading this thread I've gotten very confused so this is what I remember (I think) : cherimoyas are green and look like they've got scales, soursops are green and have little spikes and custard apples are sort of purplish but I think they are all from the same family...i actually think I normally see sousops and I did think they were custard apples for a while....errr. sorry, I've confused myself

• 10 months later...

Has anybody ever heard of Taiwanese Soy Sauce, a.k.a. "Soy Cream" or "Bottom of the Barrel Oil'? If so - who makes it? How much does it cost? How do you spell it in Cantonese?

"It's not from my kitchen, it's from my heart"

Michael T.

My flickr collection