• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese cooking courses

Benedict Jenks

Have you tried searching on Google? A quick search reveals that the Tokyo Sushi Academy has a 40-hour course on opening a yakitori restaurant.

http://academy.sushi.ne.jp/a004moshikomi/yakitori.htm

Having said that, I would think you want to do an apprenticeship with at least one restaurant in Japan...

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Sanrensho - Thanks for the information. The English version of the Tokyo Sushi Academy is not working for me. Is there a contact e-mail listed on their website you could provide so I may contact the school? Thanks...

Have you tried searching on Google? A quick search reveals that the Tokyo Sushi Academy has a 40-hour course on opening a yakitori restaurant.

http://academy.sushi.ne.jp/a004moshikomi/yakitori.htm

Having said that, I would think you want to do an apprenticeship with at least one restaurant in Japan...

Sanrensho - Thanks for the information.  The English version of the Tokyo Sushi Academy is not working for me.  Is there a contact e-mail listed on their website you could provide so I may contact the school?  Thanks...

You're right, they don't appear to have an English page up.

I didn't see a contact e-mail, but the contact page is here:

http://www.sushi.ne.jp/sushi_kyotsu/k002form/form.htm

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

• 6 months later...

I am looking for cooking classes/schools in Japan, probably Tokyo. Not for professionals but for keen amateurs/home cooks expecting a bit of style, plenty of knowledge, nothing too basic, hopefully hands-on.

any suggestions gratefully received!

It's for serious Australian food travellers. I was just in Tokyo and wondered whether there was anything offered as I would have loved to have done a short (one or two day) course in say, knife skills or kaiseki or making broths... Something not too basic, one day or more, for English speakers but food-savvy types.

thanks!

Are you traveling to Japan yourself, and wanting classes at a particular point in time, or were you looking for more general information for clients or friends?

I'm guessing that you are not in Japan, and so want short-term classes in English, rather than regular, long-term classes?

Foodways,

I merged this with a previous thread so you might want to scroll back up as there is quite a bit of information here. Some of it is outdated and I have already deleted most of the dead links, so if anyone has any updates/new places to add please do so!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"