• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Novice to Italian

Doodad

I want to tackle Italian next in my bag of tricks. I know the basics, have made pasta with the help of a machine, and can do the American version of sauce etc.

Where do I start to learn proper technique, especially pasta, and classic recipes. All suggestions are welcome.

Doodad,

check out the regional threads in the Italy forum. Use the keyword Cuisine in the lower left corner (Search This Forum) and those threads (The cooking and Cuisine of Campania, Emilia Romagna, etc) will pop up. A wealth of info to be found there!

Doodad,

check out the regional threads in the Italy forum. Use the keyword Cuisine in the lower left corner (Search This Forum) and those threads (The cooking and Cuisine of Campania, Emilia Romagna, etc) will pop up. A wealth of info to be found there!

Thanks that is a start. I am seriously thinking about taking a hands on class for the first time.

I'm a fan of the Silver Spoon cookbook.

Its been around in Italy for ages (I think more than 50 years), I guess its the one gift every newlywed couple gets. But it had never been translated to English until a year or so ago.

Its very comprehensive, almost a MTAOFC for italian food, alass, there is no Julia Child to host shows on PBS.