• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montague St.

Pan

I've been going out for dinner in Brooklyn more often lately, after work in Downtown Brooklyn. I've been happy to go to Teresa's on Montague and Hicks, but I'd like to change it up sometimes. What other restaurants have any of you been to lately on Montague that are worth trying?

Michael aka "Pan"

I haven't lived in the heights/DUMBO for a while, but when I did, everything on Montague universally sucked, while almost everything down Henry was very very good. Perhaps things have changed but it just seems like one of those trends like 14th Street vs. the area directly above it.

Well, I'd take Henry St. recommendations, too, but preferably pretty close to Borough Hall and the Post Office, because I already have to walk from Jay St. to get there.

I like at least one restaurant on 14th St., Crispo.

Michael aka "Pan"

Agreed. Montague is a vast culinary wasteland. Walk a lil' bit farther, my friend, to Henry Street. At or around the corner of Henry and Cranberry, you can find Jack the Horse Tavern (try the smoked gouda and fontina mac & cheese, and the great cocktails), Henry's End (great game offerings, nice wine list), and Noodle Pudding (rightfully a neighborhood institution, great food, service).

Hoofing it from Jay Street is well worth it.

It's just cold booze in a glass. Drink it, dammit.

I knew you'd mention Crispo. but you get my point. It's as if 14th street is zoned for "SHIT" like cheap DVD stores and 99 cent outlets.

Noodle Pudding is the best. Fascati's is killer pizza, top notch slices. Then you have Grimaldi's and Pete's downtown down the block. The Thai restaurant on Henry is also not bad. Henry's end is very good.

I haven't lived in the heights/DUMBO for a while, but when I did, everything on Montague universally sucked, while almost everything down Henry was very very good. Perhaps things have changed but it just seems like one of those trends like 14th Street vs. the area directly above it.

Hey! What's the matter with the area directly below 14th Street? ;)

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Well, I'd take Henry St. recommendations, too, but preferably pretty close to Borough Hall and the Post Office, because I already have to walk from Jay St. to get there.

I like at least one restaurant on 14th St., Crispo.

The recommendations already given are good ones but I hope you realize the price range they represent. A good dinner at Henry's End (my favorite place) is $60-70pp, but we're talking game menu and a very solid domestic wine list. Well worth it. There's a French place at the same price range next door and, although the food is good, I think it overpriced. Jack the Horse (Hicks St) comes in at around $40pp and most of my friends like it more than I do. Noodle Pudding is excellent and you can spend $25-60pp depending on what you feel like ordering. There's now a wine bar on the corner of Cranberry and Henry that has a good buzz but I havent been yet. Same with the trendy pizza place, Oven. Fascati is above average NY pizza by the slice. The Thai place is long gone. That's Henry. Tutt Cafe is on Hicks, almost across from Jack the Horse... it's not bad for laid back Middle Eastern.

I'm assuming you've ruled out Atlantic, since it's in the wrong direction from the subway? You already know Yemen Cafe, since we ate there together a couple of years ago. The Waterfront Ale House, Fountain and Waterfalls are all there as well. In the other direction on Atlantic, Nicky's is now going strong and Downtown Atlantic is pretty solid home cooking. Both are actually close to trains.

The places on Montegue change with the seasons and I can go thru the names of the current residents for you but, suffice it to say that the general level has not even inched up over the years. Very mediocre cast of characters. Walking the extra 5 blocks in either direction yields vastly better food.

I've been going out for dinner in Brooklyn more often lately, after work in Downtown Brooklyn. I've been happy to go to Teresa's on Montague and Hicks, but I'd like to change it up sometimes. What other restaurants have any of you been to lately on Montague that are worth trying?

Give Queen on Court Street a whirl. Great old fashioned service and dependably solid food.

I might add that it may even be worth it to flop into a cab and hit Junior's, cuz Junior's in Brooklyn is still relatively cheap

I can walk to Junior's. I work at MetroTech Center.

I haven't ruled out Atlantic Av., Steve; I just want to change things up. But what kind of food is at Waterfront Ale House? That's on Atlantic between what and what?

I really prefer not to spend more than $25 including tip most of the time, occasionally up to $35. I'll have to feel very self-indulgent or celebratory to treat myself to a $60 solo dinner after work.

agentmule, I haven't been to Queen in a long time. How late are they open and what would dinner cost? I remember the place being kind of pricey but good a few years ago.

Michael aka "Pan"

Metrotech - right - well I'd definitely hit Junior's weekly - you and Marty Markowitz

If you had a bicycle you could roll downhill - Grimaldi's is definitely worth it, and there's a lot more options in DUMBO. There's a Rice, which is good, but try the steak sandwich at Superfine, it's worth the trip.

I might add that it may even be worth it to flop into a cab and hit Junior's, cuz Junior's in Brooklyn is still relatively cheap

I can walk to Junior's. I work at MetroTech Center.

I haven't ruled out Atlantic Av., Steve; I just want to change things up. But what kind of food is at Waterfront Ale House? That's on Atlantic between what and what?

I really prefer not to spend more than $25 including tip most of the time, occasionally up to $35. I'll have to feel very self-indulgent or celebratory to treat myself to a $60 solo dinner after work.

agentmule, I haven't been to Queen in a long time. How late are they open and what would dinner cost? I remember the place being kind of pricey but good a few years ago.

Waterfront Ale House (used to be Pete's) is a burger bar place between Clinton and Henry but it has lots of beer on tap and surprisingly good food. Pulled pork, burgers, salads, sandwiches and even entrees, all in your price range. Pretty famous in those parts. You can also stay within budget at Downtown Atlantic, which is a slightly upscale Waterfront. Better entrees, not as good burgers and beer selection though. Nicky's is the banh mi sandwich place on Atlantic... nice. There's also a relatively inexpensive "Soul Spot" (only 1-2 tables, mostly take out) on Atlantic but I wasnt impressed with the food the one time I ate there.

Queen is a $40-60pp place. Good Italian food in a "you gotta be kidding me" room (plastic flowers and all). But the food is as good as you'll get... it's a business lunch place for the politicos and lawyers for 50 years that's now gotten itself a respectable dinner business thanks to the influx of young 'uns moving in to the neighborhood. Well worth a visit for the food.

Metrotech - right - well I'd definitely hit Junior's weekly - you and Marty Markowitz

If you had a bicycle you could roll downhill - Grimaldi's is definitely worth it, and there's a lot more options in DUMBO. There's a Rice, which is good, but try the steak sandwich at Superfine, it's worth the trip.

To add to your DUMBO recs, Hecho is a very nice small plate Mexican place in a room that's a coffee shop by day. Worth a visit. I hate Grimaldi's.... I think it's been running on reputation for years, since the family sold it (might be 10 years by now). But the lines are out the door and the tour bus trade keeps pouring in. I'd go 15 minutes in the other direction for Lucali's any day (Henry and 1st). Incredible pizza and calzone made by an upcoming craftsman.

I think DUMBO is really too far. I don't have a bike and if I'm walking that far, I'd sooner go to Chinatown and walk home from there. I'll check out some of the other recommendations in this thread, though, and thanks, everyone. :smile:

Michael aka "Pan"