• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Just brought home 4.4 lbs brisket. Could you please suggest quantities of spice(s)? How long do I dry brine?

Edited to add: where do I find curing salt? Does brand matter?

Salts penetrate at roughly 0.75 to 1 cm per day. (I've seen various numbers)They'll be coming in from both sides so the minimum time depends on thickness. A 1.5 cm thick meat would take a day for exp. 

Spices are larger molecules and not all that water soluble so they might take longer to enter or just stay on the surface. 

I generally dry brine for 3 days in the fridge. 

I use instacure #1 aka Prague powder 1 as curing salt. Supermarkets usually have a Mortons product called.. i think...pickling salt. I buy instacure #1 on Amazon. The mortons may be a little different than instacure...not sure

Ratios?  I'm seat of the pants. I use 1/2 tsp pink salt per half cup table salt. Spices are a tsp each per 1/2 cup of rub.  Might be way more nitrate than needed. 

I put it in a zip lock with air squeezed out and turn it daily in the fridge. 

gfweb

gfweb

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Just brought home 4.4 lbs brisket. Could you please suggest quantities of spice(s)? How long do I dry brine?

Salts penetrate at roughly 0.75 to 1 cm per day. (I've seen various numbers)They'll be coming in from both sides so the minimum time depends on thickness. A 1.5 cm thick meat would take a day for exp. 

Spices are larger molecules and not all that water soluble so they might take longer to enter or just stay on the surface. 

I use instacure #1 aka Prague powder 1 as curing salt. Supermarkets usually have a Mortons product called.. i think...pickling salt. I buy instacure #1 on Amazon 

Ratios?  I'm seat of the pants. I use 1/2 tsp pink salt per half cup table salt. Spices are a tsp each per 1/2 cup of rub.  Might be way more nitrate than needed. 

I usually use dry mustard, allspice, coriander,black pepper, garlic powder. 

gfweb

gfweb

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Salts penetrate at roughly 0.75 cm per day. (I've seen various numbers)They'll be coming in from both sides so the minimum time depends on thickness. A 1.5 cm thick meat would take a day for exp. 

I use instacure #1 aka Prague powder 1 as curing salt. Supermarkets usually have a Mortons product called.. i think...pickling salt. I buy instacure #1 on Amazon 

I usually use dry mustard, allspice, coriander,black pepper, garlic powder.