• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

I ended up not desalting it.    there is some jus in the bag after 24 + @ 143 F  and Ive been using and saving that for use in the iPot

for the cooking of the veg.  I add water to this to just get the potatoes and carrots submerged.

Ive also after adding some water in the iPot added bay leaf , mustard seed , and granulated ( penzey's ) garlic and 

iP'd this for 2 - 3 min at LP then 5 minute release , and then removing the bay leaf and then adding the veg w the cabbage on top of the other

two veg.    I then save this liquid , chill and use again w the addition of what ever liquid is in the next CB's bag , about 1/4 cup , not measured

chose not to study desalting this year as the first attempts gave me CB didn't seem to me to have too much salt in it.

the meat was so nicely trimmed and the papain didn't seem to matter if I cooked the meat with in a day or two of buying it

a few years ago  the meat sat in the refrig for a while and then I cooked it , well before the ' Use By Date '

that gave me mushy CB.   I can't say if the extra time in my refrigerator had anything to do with the mushiness.  my refrigerator is quite cold.

I will say that times in the iPot for pressure cooking these three veg at the same time is problematic and not very reproducible 

either with LP or HP or a certain amount of time before release.   I can tell Ive been lucky so far re Veg.

what i did learn today is important to me :

if the CB is not perfectly cooked at Round One  ( this brand point cut  , about 1 lb / bag , 143 F  24 - 26 hours )

it can be corrected to perfection w a longer than needed re-heating  ( one bag at a time for dinner ) at about 145

for 4 hours or so.

I have three points to do tomorrow and Ill do them at 145 F  24 - 26 and label them as such.

rotuts

rotuts

I ended up not desalting it.    there is some jus in the bag after 24 + @ 143 F  and Ive been using and saving that for use in the iPot

for the cooking of the veg.  I add water to this to just get the potatoes and carrots submerged.

Ive also after adding some water in the iPot added bay leaf , mustard seed , and granulated ( penzey's ) garlic and 

iP'd this for 2 - 3 min at LP then 5 minute release , and then removing the bay leaf and then adding the veg w the cabbage on top of the other

two veg.    I then save this liquid , chill and use again w the addition of what ever liquid is in the next CB's bag , about 1/4 cup , not measured

chose not to study desalting this year as the first attempts gave me CB didn't seem to me to have too much salt in it.

the meat was so nicely trimmed and the papain didn't seem to matter if I cooked the meat with in a day or two of buying it

a few years ago  the meat sat in the refrig for a while and then I cooked it , well before the ' Use By Date '

that gave me mushy CB.   I can't say if the extra time in my refrigerator had anything to do with the mushiness.  my refrigerator is quite cold.

I will say that times in the iPot for pressure cooking these three veg at the same time is problematic and not very reproducible 

either with LP or HP or a certain amount of time before release.   I can tell Ive been lucky so far re Veg.