• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shopping on amazon.com

Zee

I have recently found out that amazon.com has increased their fees on shipping items to Canada. This obviously closes the gap on the costs of books between amazon.com and amazon.ca, but I personally find it discriminatory against Canadian customers.

It has been a well-known fact that in the last couple of years, prior to this shipping rate increase, and even prior to the dollars being at par, it cost appreciably less to buy books through amazon.com than amazon.ca. Of all the options available to Amazon in saving their Canadian business, I personally think they have chosen the worst. For sure, they have successfully deterred me from purchasing from their US site, but I'm not going to their Canadian site as a result. I'll just take my business elsewhere.

I'd very much like to hear what other Canadians think about this.

I have recently found out that amazon.com has increased their fees on shipping items to Canada. This obviously closes the gap on the costs of books between amazon.com and amazon.ca, but I personally find it discriminatory against Canadian customers.

It has been a well-known fact that in the last couple of years, prior to this shipping rate increase, and even prior to the dollars being at par, it cost appreciably less to buy books through amazon.com than amazon.ca. Of all the options available to Amazon in saving their Canadian business, I personally think they have chosen the worst. For sure, they have successfully deterred me from purchasing from their US site, but I'm not going to their Canadian site as a result. I'll just take my business elsewhere.

I'd very much like to hear what other Canadians think about this.

support your local independant book store

You could always ship it to a package holding company in Pt. Roberts or Blaine and pick it up from there. Then you'd get the US Shipping Rates (which usually is free after a certain amount).

The processing cost for the company to receive your package is pretty nominal...$3 or $4. But, you'd have to factor in gas, and time at the border to figure out if this is worthwhile for you.

It came out pretty well for me before Christmas when I did all my shopping at Amazon.com.

But, I'm unsure what the duty rate is on books (if there is any). If not, the border tax collectors will only hit you up for GST/PST.