• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Magic Water!

HB is in Milan at Identita Golose.

The 41-year old, known for his scientific approach to cooking and advancing techniques to develop unusual taste combinations, told chefs in Milan he was looking at serving a bottle from which diners can choose still or sparkling water.

Surely he must lie awake at night wondering when he is going to be exposed.

HB is in Milan at Identita Golose.
The 41-year old, known for his scientific approach to cooking and advancing techniques to develop unusual taste combinations, told chefs in Milan he was looking at serving a bottle from which diners can choose still or sparkling water.

Surely he must lie awake at night wondering when he is going to be exposed.

Either that or he's following the well worn path of Derren Brown, Paul McKenna and the rest of the half-baked charlatans from NLP into the magic circle.

I seem to remember Mr Chuckles pulling the 'Magic Bottle' effect at a recent party for four year olds.

They were delighted to be able to chose between orange and cranberry juice and if it worked for them it should go down a storm at the fat duck. If fact, if my experience was anything to go by, they'll be so excited some of them may wee.

ETA: After a bit of a scout about - possibly a variation on the wonderfully named "Arsy-Varsy Bottle"?

FETA: Or perhaps this "Miraculous vessel of the Greeks" (scroll up and down for many more fascinating vessels)

Edited by Tim Hayward (log)

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

Either that or he's following the well worn path of Derren Brown, Paul McKenna and the rest of the half-baked charlatans from NLP into the magic circle.

If he is just using the old magicians trick then yes, yawn, boring.

However I'd expect from his past record it is more likely that he's come up with what he thinks is an interesting new variant. Perhaps its the same water whichever you choose but is carbonated or decarbonated as it pours? Or maybe you get an iPod with the sound of bubbles if you wanted carbonated :laugh:

However I'd expect from his past record it is more likely that he's come up with what he thinks is an interesting new variant. Perhaps its the same water whichever you choose but is carbonated or decarbonated as it pours? Or maybe you get an iPod with the sound of bubbles if you wanted carbonated  :laugh:

Whatever it is, it's tossage.

However I'd expect from his past record it is more likely that he's come up with what he thinks is an interesting new variant. Perhaps its the same water whichever you choose but is carbonated or decarbonated as it pours? Or maybe you get an iPod with the sound of bubbles if you wanted carbonated  :laugh:

Whatever it is, it's tossage.

or maybe he's just adding a little humour into the dining experience....maybe you should try broading your mind a little!!!

You can be sure it is something he thinks is an interesting new variant.

It sounds fun to me but I suppose you have to have a developed sense of humour to think so.

What I do think is "tossage" is the slagging off of a chef who is probably the most brilliant working in the UK today.

or maybe he's just adding a little humour into the dining experience....maybe you should try broading your mind a little!!!

Simply regurgitating HB's PR does not make one open-minded. Quite the opposite in fact. If anyone took the time to actually think about this, instead of deferring to spurious authority, it's pretty hard not to come to the conclusion that 'magic water' is an embarrassing gimmick.

It sounds fun to me but I suppose you have to have a developed sense of humour to think so.

I see, only people with a developed sense of humour are able to appreciate this; sort of like the emperor's new clothes.

What I do think is "tossage" is the slagging off of a chef who is probably the most brilliant working in the UK today.

He may or may not be what you say he is, but either way he is not infallible.

You can be sure it is something he thinks is an interesting new variant.

Not most brilliant chef but most brilliant food theatrician.

Matt Christmas.

"Spurious authority." What a fantastic phrase to basically call everyone morons for not agreeing to ones point of view.

Well I think I am basically a 'genuine' kind of girl so it did make me sit up and realise that instead of trying to earn a living by providing a product that is different, it is in fact, an evil regime that is brainwashing each and every one of us so we had all better look out and he deserves all the abuse he gets.

This is all very serious!

We ate at The Fat Duck a couple of weeks ago and it was a truly fantastic meal.

Before I went I was a little sceptical given the amount of publicity and hype surrounding Heston and the restaurant. OK he seems a nice bloke when he is on telly, and he obviously has a sense of humour, but will it be any good or simply gimmicky?

I thought that his cooking was really good, on par with other top restaurants I have tried. No he isn't infallible, for example the Manzanilla doesn't work with "Sound of the Sea", but even so he is still outstanding. The two elements of his cooking that really did impress me were the humour he brings to the meal - whimsical touches that entertain, and the way he stimulates all your senses; taste, texture, aroma, sound, and highly visual presentation. In the transition to the desert course he serves a "tea", one side of which is hot the other cold. OK it is a trick, but it works really nicely as it surprises, humours, and cleans the palete ready for the deserts. It would be easy to write this and other elements of the meal as gimmicks, however they do really work, adding another dimension to the meal.

I suspect "Magic Water" will be something in this vein, a piece of culinary humour that takes a really good meal to the next level because it introduces great fun and entertainment into the whole experience. Food is enhanced or ruined by the elements that surround it - the environment, company, service, ambience etc. Hestons's genius is to look at a meal as a holistic experience and therefore serve very good food in a entertaining, and stimulating way. I will reserve my judgement on Magic Water until I try it.

My experience of eating at The Fat Duck has taught me not to knock his ideas until I have tried them.

It would also be an interest to know from our overseas friends whether the thriving avant garde movements in such countries as Spain, USA or now even France receive the same treatment.

Is it just a British thing to 'slag off' the success story?

i have never wished to "slag off " heston, he is one of the most talented and admired figures in the catering industry. the problem i have is with his fanatical fan base that can't think for themselves and have to have their palates told by somebody else what tastes good. it is depressing to see the cuisine of heston lauded as if it is the only way forward for aspirational chefs. as well as being responsible for the fat duck, heston is responsible as the inspiration for some wide spread and seriously ill judged food in this country.

as i said, food theatrician, not chef.

Matt Christmas.

i have never wished to "slag off " heston, he is one of the most talented and admired figures in the catering industry.  the problem i have is with his fanatical fan base that can't think for themselves and have to have their palates told by somebody else what tastes good.  it is depressing to see the cuisine of heston lauded as if it is the only way forward for aspirational chefs.  as well as being responsible for the fat duck, heston is responsible as the inspiration for some wide spread and seriously ill judged food in this country.

I think you do him a disservice, he is first and foremost a very talented chef who cooks great food. I do agree he has mastered the theatrics and does put on a great show, but this would be rather hollow if the food was not great.

I also think it is quite unfair to make Heston "responsible" for "ill judged food in this country". If anything I would blame the the "Gastropub" revolution for the ills of the British food industry. It seems to have set a very low bar that few places seem to reach, let alone get over. I have been back in the UK for nearly a year now (after an absence of 14 years) and I am already getting very tired of identikit meals which lack character, originality or innovation. There are excetions but I am afraid they are fewer and further between than I had expected after reading and hearing about the food revolution in Britain.

Maybe I have not been lucky enough to cross paths with a Heston inspired chef.... :wink:

and.... i said "some ill judged food", not all ill judged food and i agree entirely about the "gastropubs".

i have great respect for heston and i think he has a lot to offer on the technique front, i just don't particularly enjoy having his food in my mouth.

Matt Christmas.

and.... i said "some ill judged food", not all ill judged food and i agree entirely about the "gastropubs".

i have great respect for heston and i think he has a lot to offer on the technique front, i just don't particularly enjoy having his food in my mouth.

Nobody is forcing you to go book a table at the Fat duck and eat his food........

Never trust a skinny Chef

, i just don't particularly enjoy having his food in my mouth.

You said you don't like having his food in your mouth.So why do you go to his restaurant to eat it?

i have been but i don't choose to go back, even if i did like the food, it is very expensive and the menu never changes. i would never suggest to anyone not to go, i think it is a very important restaurant in british culinary history, people should go and make up their own minds, as did I.

my point about not particularly enjoying his food was in reference to somebody classifying the food of the fat duck as "great"

Matt Christmas.

.  as well as being responsible for the fat duck, heston is responsible as the inspiration for some wide spread and seriously ill judged food in this country.

Just wondering where this ill judged food is cooked,can you elaborate?

Never trust a skinny Chef

i have never wished to "slag off " heston, he is one of the most talented and admired figures in the catering industry.  the problem i have is with his fanatical fan base that can't think for themselves and have to have their palates told by somebody else what tastes good.  it is depressing to see the cuisine of heston lauded as if it is the only way forward for aspirational chefs.  as well as being responsible for the fat duck, heston is responsible as the inspiration for some wide spread and seriously ill judged food in this country.

My oh my, fanatical fan base, people that can't think for themselves, one would think we are talking about a murderous dictator!

You show an amazing way of showing respect and who ever said that Heston's way is the only way, of course it's not there is room for everyone.

I have been to the Fat Duck two years ago and on the whole thoroughly enjoyed it, but in my opinion some elements of the meal were not perfect and have had better meals elsewhere.

But thats just me, it does not mean its wrong and I am not going to join the Heston witchhunt.