• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dover Sole Wild Caught from USA?

NoNiceTime

So I was in a Trader Joe's over the weekend and spooted some frozen Dover Sole but it is from the waters of the USA. I thought Dover Sole has to be European?

The North American Dover sole Microstomus pacificus inhabits the outer shelf/upper shelf break, concentrated off the coast of British Columbia, Washington, Oregon and northern California but extending further north and south. This species belongs to the family Pleuronectidae, while the European species Solea solea belongs to the suborder or family of "true soles" (Soleidae).

My local (Seattle) fishmonger raved about her (American) Dover Sole recently; I bought some and when I looked it up in James Peterson's Fish and Shellfish at home, there was a bit of a warning about how this fish isn't true sole and lacks all of the good qualities of real Dover Sole. It was fine, it just didn't really have any flavor, and fell apart completely when cooked (not overcooked).