• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating my way around London...

I'm going to spend six weeks in London starting mid March and hopefully I will have the opportunity to visit a lot of interesting resturants. But I really need the inputs from the members of this forum: Where would you take a food interested friend who came to visit London for a couple of weeks? Where would you take him if he was paying? :wink:

I'm open to all suggestions, both the high and low!

/Chris

I'm going to spend six weeks in London starting mid March and hopefully I will have the opportunity to visit a lot of interesting resturants. But I really need the inputs from the members of this forum: Where would you take a food interested friend who came to visit London for a couple of weeks? Where would you take him if he was paying?  :wink:

I'm open to all suggestions, both the high and low!

/Chris

Don't do Sketch its Rubbish,and a waste of money.

Never trust a skinny Chef

Lunch at Foliage, dinner at St John (on the same day if you're hungry enough!) for two outstanding, and totally different, experiences.

On the cheap side of things I would reccommend sampling some of the myriad Indian and Chinese restaurants here (Tayyabs and Kastoori the popular choices for the former, dim-sum at Dragon Castle my choice for the latter).

Plenty of exciting mid-price restaurants around at the moment: Magdalen, Wild Honey, Hereford Rd etc...

River Cafe is capable of giving the wallet a good going over, but if I wasn't paying I'd never miss an opportunity to eat there.

Thanks for the suggestions - please keep them coming! I would love to try some "hard core" chinese and indian resturants.

For more upmarket dining, you tend to hear some names floating around like Tom Aikens, Pied a Terre...?

Thanks for the suggestions - please keep them coming! I would love to try some "hard core" chinese and indian resturants.

For more upmarket dining, you tend to hear some names floating around like Tom Aikens, Pied a Terre...?

You wont find much better than Foliage at The Mandarin oriental at the moment, as Daniel said go for lunch its £29 for 4 courses No better Value anywhere in London and its top end, they have the tasting menu at a reduced price at lunch times too £55 i think

For cheap and down and dirty, but mostly delicious, I would recommend:

Stick & Bowl

31 Kensington High Street, London, W8 5NP

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Ok, so I've heard some suggestions here in the upmarket category:

Foliage, River Café, Magdalen, Wild Honey, Hereford Road, St John

Am I missing something?

If you want to taste what's happening new Nordic cuisine-wise in London, try Texture, which has an Icelandic chef, for lunch, when all dishes (admittedly in pared-down portions) are £8.50.

Rather than the River Cafe, Theo Randall's set lunch is equivalant quality, a fraction of the price and off Park Lane rather than off Hammersmith Broadway.

I had the tasting menu at PaT last week and it was very good, I'd venture it combined the flawlessness and precision of, say, Foliage, with a slightly higher octane rating. nothing particularly outlandish but each course just really impressive. I've posted briefly about it here

mind you, not much I've said about this high-octane flawlessness couldn't also be said about The Square, I daresay you'd do as well at either, depends on how insistently French a feel you like I suppose. I found Texture to be rather variable, but the 'hits' were good, not to PaT's standard but I suppose you wouldn't expect it to be...

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

• 3 weeks later...

So far I've booked dinner at L'Autre Pied on Saturday and Foliage next Saturday. Tried to get a table at The Square, but it was full.

At the moment, I have a hard time booking anything but Saturdays as I don't know my schedule.

Edited by TheSwede (log)

So far I've booked dinner at L'Autre Pied on Saturday and Foliage next Saturday. Tried to get a table at The Square, but it was full.

At the moment, I have a hard time booking anything but Saturdays as I don't know my schedule.

Square opens sunday nite too, FYI. That's normally quite quiet.

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!