• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fast and Easy Midweek Entertaining

Chufi

So, you're busy, your spouse is busy, your friends are busy, you're all busy. But you all have to eat, so dinner seems the perfect opportunity to meet, and catch up.

Which means you have to cook something. Something just a little bit more interesting than if it were just the 2 of you at home. You don't have time to go to out of the way little delis to pick up some high quality stuff, you have to make do with supermarket ingredients. And you don't have time to cook ahead, and put something on to braise, say, the night before... You're home from work around 6 and you want dinner on the table around 7:30

Oh, and it all has to be budget friendly.

What are your standbys for night like that?

So, you're busy, your spouse is busy, your friends are busy, you're all busy. But you all have to eat, so dinner seems the perfect opportunity to meet, and catch up.

Which means you have to cook something. Something just a little bit more interesting than if it were just the 2 of you at home. You don't have time to go to out of the way little delis to pick up some high quality stuff, you have to make do with supermarket ingredients. And you don't have time to cook ahead, and put something on to braise, say, the night before... You're home from work around 6 and you want dinner on the table around 7:30

Oh, and it all has to be budget friendly.

What are your standbys for night like that?

Depends on what's in your supermarket. :laugh:

And what's already in your pantry.

My first thought was tacos or quesadillas, with a choice of various fillings so each person can customize their own; with appropriate drinks, sides, dessert, etc.

Storebought shells or tortillas will definitely work in a pinch, so you can focus on great fillings, salsa (do you already have some in the fridge?), etc.

Guests can get involved, if they like, with chopping etc.

The Mexican thread a little way down is great, if these ingredients are easily available in the NL.

Or do you have a crockpot you can start up in the morning and come home to something hot and bubbling?

Or, depending on the weather, a variation on the great salad + bread and cheese theme?

What do *you* usually make, Chufi?

Quesadillas is a great idea.

Supermarkets here in Amsterdam are pretty horrible. No good meat, no fresh fish. Decent, if expensive, vegetables though.

I usually make pasta, a salad, and a simple dessert (storebought icecream, a quick fruit crumble). And have a bit of cheese, pate etc. with crackers to start. But the friends who are coming over tomorrow eat a lot of pasta at home. Which is what prompted my question - I just could not think of anything but pasta :shock:

I don't have a crockpot, but it's on my wishlist of things to buy right after we move to the new apartment. I've wanted one for a long time and seems like the perfect piece of kitchen equipment for me!

That is when I turn to my first love, Asian cuisine. I can whip up a nam sod type appetizer, curry soup course and a main stir fry in that time easy. If I know in advance I stop at the Chinese restaurant on my way home and get either raw dumplings or half cooked egg rolls that they set me up with.

when I need to make a midweek meal for my friends I do a quick Indian or Malaysian boneless chicken curry serve it with roti or tortillas andit is really easy..what everyone asks for ...then serve with bowls of toppings like cucumber riata, coconut flakes, roasted peanuts, chiles, if you have frozen mangos available there (this is the only dish they are good in I think) just mix them frozen with a can of unsweetened pineapple.. lime juice and cillantro serve partially thawed ..

then folks can eat the curry in the roti with the toppings..they like and beer

you can also do a slow cooker curry of a more durable meat like lamb

or if you can not find some good meat do a veggie curry ..same idea

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

i buy pizza dough from the pizzaria on my corner and make thin crust pizza with nice mushrooms or whatever seems out of the ordinary or "special"

I also braise chicken thighs then make quickie enchiladas or enchilada pie (which has the same ingredients as enchiladas but layered like lasagna) if you braise the chicken in a neutral liquid you can shred and freeze them and thaw them quickly)

meatloaf. it takes minutes to form and the meat doesn't need to be the best...

chicken paprikash...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Some ideas:

--soup and salad

--soup and sandwich (roasted-tomato soup + grilled cheese/paninis = :wub: )

--bruschetta + toppings (hummus, cheese, roasted veg, marinated eggplant, etc.)

--spring rolls

--onion tarts (with ready-made puff pastry)

--frittata of some sort or a Spanish omelet

Good luck!

fish or chicken breasts en papillote (sliced potato, carrots, celery, herbs, wine in a parchement bag)

I tried Gordon Ramsey's broccoli soup and it was actually really good. Boil some broccoli until just cooked through, put in a blender with a bit of the cooking water, blend until smooth. Serve over walnuts and creamy goat cheese. Heres the link where I got it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFc6o2m9mMQ Its quite dramatic looking and dead easy

I find that a simple roast chicken works well in these situations: minimal prep, cooks in 45-50 minutes (enough time for a round of cocktails and maybe some cheese), looks fancy and reminds people of the holidays. Mashed potatoes and sauteed squash as an accompaniment, maybe? Easy, mostly hands-off, tastes good, and for people not used to a well-prepared roast chicken, a revelation.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Lately we've been trending towards quick Asian things: Thai soups (with shrimp for carnivores); actually bibimbap has been happening more and more around here, we've gotten pretty quick at it; Mara makes an amazing baked (non-Asian) "risotto" with arbrorio rice (shrimp and sage are the featured ingredients)...super easy and amazingly good...

Edited by markemorse (log)

For a night like that it's Linquine in Herbed Clam Sauce and a salad. It's very good and uses items from the pantry and some simple herbs most people have on hand at all times. Canned clams and clam juice might not be the real deal, but it's a very good dish and I've never had any complaints.

A lot of times I will do breakfast for dinner. Either omelets or an egg scramble. Maybe with biscuits and gravy. Sometimes we do crepes for dessert which are fun and everybody stands around and talks and laughs and eats the crepes as they come off the griddle. Sometimes I stir homemade raspberry preserves into cream cheese that people can spread on or they just do butter and powdered sugar. Very interactive, very fun.

Ellen

How about chicken livers with polenta? You can do the polenta in the oven à la CSWF, and there are lots of ways to make chicken livers a super-gourmet treat in about 15 minutes.

Or your cheese Dutch crêpes? Or a pile of crêpes made the night before with several roll-your-own fillings. Or you could make a strata, a savory bread pudding with vegetables, seafood or ham. That benefits from soaking overnight and going into the oven when you get home. Or Himmel und Erde with lots of bacon.

If you still have that maple syrup you could make a maple pudding with glazed nuts - that can be the night before and just sit in the fridge. Or you could make a clafouti instead of a crumble. Put it in the oven when you sit down to dinner and it'll be warm and fragrant when you're ready for it.

Edited by Abra (log)

I second Chris's roast chicken idea. It's easy and somehow festive for a midweek meal. These days I'm in love with homemade chocolate sodas for dessert -- ain't nothing easier.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Your perfect fried chicken and those cheese biscuits (the combination that got you your G.R.I.T.S. Girl membership card) are a winning duo with any guests, especially those whose own home cooking generally tends toward pasta dishes.

And interactive---just standing around a skillet of chicken frying can form friendships, cement alliances, forge bonds between nations. Just knowing someone who CAN cook that magical dish is getting to be a scarce commodity.

And the scent as they enter the house---Dom and foie gras cannot equal that.

Some quick-wilted hot greens or a lovely salad, with fruit or an ice cream sundae for dessert---(I still go back and look at your rosy quinces).

Chicken saltimbocca !! Very festive and more importantly, very very fast. Buy, or pound out, chicken breast cutlets, season to taste with S&P, lay a fresh sage leaf on each one, and wrap in prosciutto. Dredge lightly in flour, saute in butter until done. Add more butter and sage leaves and cook up some fresh pasta, and you have a side. Or deglaze with some white wine, and swirl in some butter. A nice salad, a nice wine, a nice store bought dessert, et voila !

Roast a couple of pork tenderloins, glaze with heavy cream mixed with some sherry and Dijon mustard (about 1/2C cream, 2T each sherry & Dijon, or to taste.) Done in about 1/2 an hour, 45 minutes. Saute some thinly sliced onions and some apples, use the rest of the cream mixture to sauce them, bring it to a boil to kill any potential nasties and serve with the tenderloins. Maybe some rice pilaf or good potatoes on the side.

Those are my 2 go to's for quick yet special meals.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

there are some great ideas here, thanks!

Asian food - yes, I agree it's fast and healthy and good.. somehow I never make it for company maybe because I haven't been cooking Asian-style dishes that long and I'm still not that confident about them?

rachel, I would NEVER think of fried chicken as fast and easy :biggrin:

Roast chicken, yes!

for tonight, I decided on a baked chicken dish (this Delia Smith recipe)

couscous

panfried belgian endive

Abra thanks to you mentioning clafoutis I remembered a sort of apricot semolina clafoutis-like pudding. I have a bottle of apricots in the pantry and a ton of semolina to use up before the move so that's what's for dessert.

Lately we've been trending towards quick Asian things: Thai soups (with shrimp for carnivores); actually bibimbap has been happening more and more around here, we've gotten pretty quick at it; Mara makes an amazing baked (non-Asian) "risotto" with arbrorio rice (shrimp and sage are the featured ingredients)...super easy and amazingly good...

BTW, here is a link to the shrimp and sage risotto recipe I mentioned.

i buy pizza dough from the pizzaria on my corner and make thin crust pizza with nice mushrooms or whatever seems out of the ordinary or "special"

I also braise chicken thighs then make quickie enchiladas or enchilada pie (which has the same ingredients as enchiladas but layered like lasagna) if you braise the chicken in a neutral liquid you can shred and freeze them and thaw them quickly)

meatloaf. it takes minutes to form and the meat doesn't need to be the best...

chicken paprikash...

Sounds like Chufi needs a subscription to Everyday Food :biggrin:

Sounds like Chufi needs a subscription to Everyday Food  :biggrin:

maybe I do, but I don't even know what that is :shock:

okay, report back on last nights dinner:

the Delia chicken was great, it has to be in the oven for close to an hour but mixing the sauce takes very little time. Sticky sweet and spicy chicken, dig in and eat with your hands kind of food.

For dessert I made semolina puddings, which were very quick and easy: throw some fruit (I used bottled apricots but I think bottled cherries, fresh raspberries, blackberries etc would also be very nice) in 4 ramekins. Heat 500 ml full fat milk, stir in 3 tablespoons semolina and cook for a couple of minutes until it begins to thicken. Add 100 grams sugar, some vanilla, and 2 well beaten eggs. Pour over the fruit and bake for 15-20 minutes until just set. Served lukewarm (with thick cream)

I'd have to go with the Asians, if I was putting something together in a hurry. A bit of minced pork can be marinated pretty quick (15 minutes of soy, garlic, ginger juice, salt, pepper, and papane - use either some papaya or pineapple if you can't get the Chinese bean/corn flour mix) and then you can use that smother some fried eggplant or whatever else is at hand.

Likewise, a curry's a fast thing to put together if you've got some pastes already on hand (and a kaffir lime leaf in the fridge), or you could go for any sort of rice noodle dish (chow fun, phad Thai, etc). Either fresh noodles (if you're lucky) or rehydrated dried rice stick.

As an appetizer - but I don't know the cost in Amsterdam (they're expensive here) - Lior's current blog onAshkelon got me thinking again about artichokes, and how pleasant it is to sit with my friends and just slowly work through steamed 'chokes with dipping sauces.

Also, back on the Asian side, a pork tenderloin, quickly grilled then sliced, and served cool in a salad with lime, chili, and nampla dressing is very fast and easy, and people come away happy (which is the most important thing).

Among the stuff already posted, I like the quesadillas. Chicken tortillas are simple, too, and have the social aspect of everyone building their own.

Actually, for an informal dinner, give me something that will either involve everyone together in the kitchen, or else have everyone active at the table.

Cheers,

Peter