• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Secret Internet Ingredient Sources!

LoneSavant

So after ordering vanilla beans off an eBay store at 12 bucks a pound (instead of 12 bucks for five.) from a tip I found in one of the forums, I figured we probably all have a few resources for cheap/discounted/super-special ingredients and tools for online shoppers. Why don't we use this forum to share, and swap some website addresses so we can spend some cash we probably ought not to, on things we all REALLY want!

:cool:

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

P.S. the recently aforementioned vanilla bean source is here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Vanilla-Products-USA

Thanks to the eGullet-ers that passed it on to me!

-F. Fellini

-J. Child

Wow! And the beans are as advertised? No issues?

I'll admit I haven't gotten mine yet, so I can't PERSONALLY vouch for them, but there's a whole other forum of happy customers discussing their vanilla-related projects, so I'd assume the best.

-F. Fellini

-J. Child

Wow! And the beans are as advertised? No issues?

I'll admit I haven't gotten mine yet, so I can't PERSONALLY vouch for them, but there's a whole other forum of happy customers discussing their vanilla-related projects, so I'd assume the best.

I have so dang many of these vanilla beans I have no idea what to do with them all! I have no idea how they compare to "grade A" beans, but they work just great in everything I've used them for. I have igourmet.com on my list of places to buy stuff as a good general-purpose site. There are many product-specific sites for individual items. Are you looking for anything in particular, or just ideas for places to shop?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I buy saffron here. The current price quoted on their website is $68.95/oz. It is also available in 1/2 oz. and 5 gram quantities. Mark Bittman recommended this company in a column a number of years ago, and I have been very happy with them. The web site is very informative.

In case it may bother you, the saffron is imported from Iran.

Jim

Edited by jmcgrath (log)

I buy saffron here. The current price quoted on their website is $68.95/oz. It is also available in 1/2 oz. and 5 gram quantities. Mark Bittman recommended this company in a column a number of years ago, and I have been very happy with them. The web site is very informative.

Jim

I also ordered saffron from here, as well as vanilla beans. I thought everything was great but when I complained about the poor quality containers, he owner gaev me alot of attitude.

Jim

I have purchased their products and have had no complaints. I have no problems with Iranian products, in fact I have found many Iranian products to be superior to others. (Iranian caviar is excellent!)

I routinely transfer spices into my own containers so see no point in paying for a container I will discard anyway.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I also ordered saffron from here, as well as vanilla beans. I thought everything was great but when I complained about the poor quality containers, he owner gaev me alot of attitude.

My saffron came in a very sturdy circular metal container with a tight fitting slide-on metal top. I don't know how to explain the difference in our packaging experience.

Jim

I'd like to mention Le Sanctuaire here. Their spices are of great quality, and some are actually pretty good values. Iranian saffron is 52/oz and Piment d'Espellette is cheaper than most places. Their prices on food chemicals are quite good as well.

My saffron came in a very sturdy circular metal container with a tight fitting slide-on metal top. I don't know how to explain the difference in our packaging experience.

Jim

My saffron came in a very cheap clear acrylic/plastic container with an ill fitting cap with a barely functional twist-locking mechanism. The container had fit and finish problems.

Does that help explain things?