• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Commercial mixer bargains?

paulraphael

Every year or so I consider getting a stand mixer, and start researching choices. It seems like just a couple of years ago, you could find a used Hobart N50 on ebay for less than the new price of a top-of-the line Kitchenaid.

Not anymore. The cheapest I see see them now is over $600, even for one that's taken a beating.

While I'm open to the idea of KA pro 600 refurb (around $240, when they're available), they seem like a pretty ratty design compared with the hobarts. The whole idea of electronic speed control instead of shiftable gears is an unfortunate compromise. And I think it's telling that the KA sounds like a chainsaw while the Hobart barely whispers.

I'm wondering if there are any lesser known commercial brands worth checking out. I'd be looking at the 5 to 7 quart range. Flipping through restaurant supply websites, I see many different brands that seem to undersell Hobart, but reviews and details are hard to come by.

Thoughts?

Notes from the underbelly

Start asking around locally. The good deals are hard to find, and probably aren't advertised. Auctions are one option. I found my 30 quart, 35 year old hobart mixer in an old barn. A friend told me about a guy living in the area, way out in the middle of nowhere, two barnsful of used restaurant equipment. Mixers of every size literally up in the rafters, the barns crammed full of stuff, the back pasture adrift with warming tables, ovens, stuff I couldn't even identify. I paid $900 with a guarantee of service and a replacement for the duration of repair, should I need it and he delivered it too. I suspect there are guys like this all over the country, only they don't advertise. Not easy to find, but worth it when you do. I'd looked around at all the used restaurant equipment places, gone to a couple of auction operations, spent a few months checking out ebay, but this was by far the best deal I found. I love my mixer.