• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding in Bergen County or vicinity

jpr54_

My cousin's bat mitzvah was at Crystal Plaza. I don't remember the food, so it might not have been so great.

The Venetian was very, very not-intimate. It's good if you have a lot of people coming (Call it 250+) but the food was among the best I've had out there.

I'm planning my wedding right now and I'm booked at the Woman's Club of Ridgewood. It's a very nice space and the rate is reasonable, plus you can bring in a kosher caterer and have much more control over the food than at a catering hall. We're using Picnic and I'm sure they can do kosher-style if not OU-certified kosher.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Great! Glad you like the Ridgewood Women's Club. Other ideas in the area for brides looking to bring in their own caterers:

Englewood Women's Club (if under 100)

Upper Montclair Women's Club - terrific but closed all summer since they have no air conditioning

Englewood Field Club - If you know somebody. They allow you to bring in your own.

Bishop House - Saddle River - If you are NOT doing sit down!

Hope those help!

Hey, I should probably book the Woman's Club and actually get started with you at some point, Christine. :-D

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Crystal Plaza's food and service are fantastic, imo; don't discount them just because they're Kosher! They used to cater a major annual event (400-600 attendees) for me, and until we told people who the caterer was, they had no idea it was a K meal.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Hey, I should probably book the Woman's Club and actually get started with you at some point, Christine.  :-D

Ha! Now I know who you are! Yes, indeedy you should. We're doing four bridal tastings this week!

Crystal Plaza's food and service are fantastic, imo; don't discount them just because they're Kosher!  They used to cater a major annual event (400-600 attendees) for me, and until we told people who the caterer was, they had no idea it was a K meal.

It might not have been. They do both Kosher and non-Kosher catering.

That being said, I agree that their Kosher food is terrific. I was married there 15 years ago. It was a mixed marriage but the food was Kosher, and my husband's (non-Jewish) family didn't know that the food was Kosher, and raved!!

Westmont Country Club, The Venetian in Garfield, Crystal Plaza in Livingston.

The  Manor is too large a venue to have that kind of special feeling that one expects on their wedding day.

That's a surprising response. Given the amount of people who have had that special feeling they expected at the Manor on their wedding day in the past 4 plus decades.

Did you get married there?