• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Lior - Spend a week in sunny Ashkelon.

Lior

Well tonight my blog finishes. I hope that you had a taste of life over here, culinary- wise ,of course! I thoroughly enjoyed reading the responses and meeting such an amazing group of interested people. I will check in now and then and if there are any questions, please feel free to ask. Later on in the week Iwill post a thread with some recipes as promised. My eldest daughter finished reading the blog, and commented that it is very strange to see her life through others' eyes, and that she found it very curious and nice!

I thought it appropriate to end back at the beginning (remember teaser 3?):

gallery_28660_5716_45092.jpg

Bye for now! And once again, thanks to everyone, to those who lurked and looked, who asked, who commented, who complimented...

Thanks-Toda

And on my way out, some vegetable stalls, of which the owners called out to me, "Hello! tourist Blonda!! take a picture of us! With our produce- beautiful- yes?"

gallery_28660_5716_90067.jpg

"Do you think someone would marry me?" (the chubby guy) I told them any girl that loves food and fresh produce would!! They liked that one:

gallery_28660_5716_121906.jpg

That's a hilarious vignette, beautifully illustrated. I love the way you tell stories!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Wonderful blog, Ilana. Your children and your kitties are beautiful.

How could I have grown up all those years with all that hibiscus and never tried the green-thing-on-the-nose? When I am next at my Mom's I am SO doing that.

That same mallow always wants to grow in my garden, and I've been yanking it out with the rest of the weeds. There are a couple of little ones just now I'll have to let mature.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Ilana, there is just something very touching and heartfelt about your writing, we feel as though we know you very well from this short weeklong visit to your part of the world! Thank you for sharing with us. All the best to you and yours.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

how wonderful this week has been but can you tell me what kind of bird that is? it looks similar to our crows.

many thanks

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Thank you for a wonderful glimpse of your family life, your beautiful home and sunny Ashkelon, Israel. It felt like I was there celebrating with you and your family and going through the markets. Thank you, maraming salamat, thank you!

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Your dedication to this foodblog was inspiring. Loved the photos, and your willingness to explain the unfamiliar. Thank you!

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Ilana, todah. Memories of smells and food are very strong. It's been over a decade since I've been in Ashkelon, but every once in a while I'll smell something cooking and it will remind me of the falafel or shwarma carts, or even the smell of the bus station in Tel Aviv (some french fries frying remind me of the station). Seeing all of the food this week, and the markets and the stores did the same thing -- it sent me right back to Ashkelon on a warm summer evening, sitting outside a restaurant with my friends drinking lemonana or watermelon juice and noshing on burekas and pizza.

So please let your daughter know that some of us are reading this because we're interested in learning about a new food culture while others are excited to be reminded of something they enjoyed long ago.

It has been such a pleasure following along this week. Thank you for sharing, and please thank your family and your neighbours for letting us take a glimpse into their kitchens and dining rooms. Lehitraot (till next time).

I am so glad everyone enjoyed the week. I did too. I told my daughter that for some the smells and foods were were new, whereas for others they evoked memories of days gone by (sometimes I feel I can almost just touch those days-if I were a bit taller I could maybe reach). I still keep a shirt of my dad's from 10 years ago, to pull out and smell every now and then.

Thanks once again to all! :biggrin:

Thank you for a lovely week, Ilana. I truly appreciate the window into your busy life and the tour of Israel’s vibrant food scene. In your spare time (heh), please do consider sharing your savory exploits with those of us on the “other side” of eGullet.

But for now, take a well-deserved break. :smile:

Just lovely. Thanks!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Well, communication is still open, it's still snowy here, and going back into these sunny pages is a delight. I've wanted to ask: Will you write the pronunciation of your city?

I love saying the syllables of the old names, feeling them on my tongue like a sweet drink. And you've made Ashkelon sweet and warm and welcoming.

Dear Rachel! Snow sounds lovely and with your whistling kettle it conjures up lovely feelings!! The pronunciation of my city: Ahhsh-- keh--lon (lon rhymes with "bon" like the french "bon bon" pronounciation-with the n sound!!).

Bye for now!

Edited by Lior (log)