• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nougat for a candy bar?

tammylc

I've got a little brainstorm about a line of candy bars I want to try making. For my next one, I'm imagining the base being a coffee-flavored nougat. There are threads on here about Nougat Montelimar, but I'm looking for something that's more like a candy bar nougat. I've seen Kerry's recipe in the EGCI - would that work without the incorporation of peanut butter? Anyone have another recipe? And how would I go about incorporating the coffee flavor?

Thanks all!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I am not Kerry , but I do make nougat for bars and yes you can use the coffee' and it would work without the peanut butter.

I will add the coffee' ( instant coffee maybe ) either in the egg whites before I add the hot syrup or towards the end when the nougat is already formed but still hot.Grind the instant coffee very fine and add it when the nougat its still in the mixer or maybe at the end incorporating the coffee manually with a spatula.

It shouldnt be a problem, Kerry recipe for the candy bar will work fine , I have seen other recipes they are all very similar.

Vanessa

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to post an update that I tried this, and it did seem to work well even without the peanut butter. I've never made nougat before, so I'm not sure what to expect, but whatever it is that I ended up with is pretty tasty!

I put a teaspoon of instant espresso powder in with the egg whites before I whisked them. When I tasted the nougat while I was whipping it, I decided it needed a little bit more, so I added a second teaspoon towards the end. It seemed to dissolve well either way, so that's good to know.

Any thoughts on shelf life for something like this? I've topped the nougat with a layer of caramel and dipped it all in chocolate.

Thanks!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Just wanted to post an update that I tried this, and it did seem to work well even without the peanut butter. I've never made nougat before, so I'm not sure what to expect, but whatever it is that I ended up with is pretty tasty!

I put a teaspoon of instant espresso powder in with the egg whites before I whisked them. When I tasted the nougat while I was whipping it, I decided it needed a little bit more, so I added a second teaspoon towards the end.  It seemed to dissolve well either way, so that's good to know.

Any thoughts on shelf life for something like this? I've topped the nougat with a layer of caramel and dipped it all in chocolate.

Thanks!

I suspect dipped in chocolate it should last for months. Sounds tasty.

• 3 weeks later...

I've made this twice now. On the first day it's very chewy. By the second day the texture gets short and airy. Which is interesting, but it seems like it stops being nougat-y - I'm thinking I'd like something that stayed a little chewier. Am I possibly overbeating? Anyone have a recipe for something that's more like a Milky Way consistency?

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Ha! funny! I am also doing nougat now and mine is dry and crumbly. I am trying Kerry's snicker bars. I think I overheated the syrup or mixed /whipped too long. I think Iw ill try without peanut butter as it is hard to mix it in without getting the crumbles! I thought to try plain nougat with a flavored caramel- with some pistachios and then dipped into dark.

Keep us posted about yours!

Ha! funny! I am also doing nougat now and mine is dry and crumbly. I am trying Kerry's snicker bars. I think I overheated the syrup or mixed /whipped too long. I think Iw ill try without peanut butter as it is hard to mix it in without getting the crumbles! I thought to try plain nougat with a flavored caramel- with some pistachios and then dipped into dark.

Keep us posted about yours!

I have always made the nougat from the Kendrick Candymaking book for snickers & a almond nougat over caramel w/cocoa nibs. It works well.

1 egg white

1c corn syrup

1/2 c water

1.5 c sugar

3/4 c peanut butter

1/2 tsp vanilla

Beat egg white to till stiff

Combine water, corn syrup, & sugar. High heat until comes to a boil while stirring. Wash down sides if needed. Cook to 246f(120c) With mixer on high slowly pour syrup over egg white. Beat 2 mins until well mixed but still thin. Add peanut butter & vanilla and stir in with wooden spoon until well blended. Spread over caramel. chill 3 hours or until firm.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Hmmm! thanks! Where are the nibs? In the caramel or inthe nougat? And the almonds?! Thanks so much. I will try Kerry's again as well as yours.

The almond butter is used instead of peanut butter. I put the nibs in the caramel & made a bar out of these two.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Between this and Kerry's response in the Confectionary 101 thread, I think I've definitely been overbeating. I've been treating it more like marshmallow and letting it get good and aerated. Clearly more experimentation is in order.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Between this and Kerry's response in the Confectionary 101 thread, I think I've definitely been overbeating. I've been treating it more like marshmallow and letting it get good and aerated. Clearly more experimentation is in order.

I've made nougats that have changed texture over time, too. You may also want to try adjusting the recipe a bit by replacing some of the granulated sugar with a liquid sugar and increasing the egg whites slightly.

I have been working on this now and after a flop or two here is where I am at. I am going to call it my Kerry Rose Bar. Tomorrow I will finish and post more pictures.

I roasted some sliced almonds and instead of peanut butter I used almond praline, similar to mrose's suggestion-yum- then I made passion fruit caramel and sprinkled some nuts on top- Caramel went on top of nougat. Tomorrow I will dip in 64% Manjari. I roasted the almonds in some Kirsch and sugar.

gallery_53591_4944_241979.jpg

gallery_53591_4944_77406.jpg

gallery_53591_4944_284464.jpg

gallery_53591_4944_125324.jpg

gallery_53591_4944_308231.jpg

Wish me luck! And thanks for all the help !!

Okay. So I put it in fridge before cutting as suggested. It qwas then kind of hard to cut but I managed. The ends were a bit squashed from the cutting. Now before dipping into 64% Valrhona Manjari, I let them sit out to get to room temp while I tempered the chocolate. When everything was ready I noticed that the caramel had warmed up and started to flow over the nicely cut rectangles and kind of slide off! So I turned them upside down and cut off the sliding parts. I was left withl ess caramel and less almonds since I had sprinkled the almonds on the top!! But there was a good side to this- less sweet! I had thought the caramel layer too thick so now it was thinner. I must remember this for next time- thinner layer and perhaps cook the caramel longer soit won't pool down the sides???

After cuttinggallery_53591_4944_6792.jpg and before the great "slide"

up close:

gallery_53591_4944_3054.jpg

After dipping - notice the thinner caramel layer...

gallery_53591_4944_65339.jpg

I was very happy with the chocolate balance - right choice...

Edited by Lior (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I made another batch of my coffee nougat yesterday, and this time whipped it for a lot less time. The texture is much more nougaty now, but it's also exhibiting a lot of flow. Between the time i cut the pieces and dipped them, they got about 1/4 bigger, which means they expanded past their pre-bottoming and thus i'm having leakage problems on the bottoms. And then there was the bending. I'm trying to do a 4-inch long bar. That was no problem with my airier, stiffer nougat. But with the weight of the caramel layer and the chocolate, these were bending so much they were impossible to dip (i was using just a single fork, maybe i need to try the double method that David J mentioned). I ended up just cutting the bars in half and dipping them as two two-inch pieces. (Sugargirl - is that why you do your orange one as a two piece bar?)

So, i'm wondering if there's a happy middle ground, where i can whip a little longer and get something more dippable. That will be my next experiment. i'm also considering putting the caramel on the bottom rather than the top, since i think the weight of the caramel on top was part of the problem.

Thoughts?

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

• 10 months later...

I wanted to renew this topic. Tammy how did your bars work out in the end? DO you remember? Do you still make them? Does it matter if I do nougat first then caramel on top or visa versa?

Any suggestions about preventing the passion fruit caramel from sliding while waiting to dip? Perhaps heat the sugar a bit more than 121 c at the end? Or to more than 145C before adding cream?

Thanks

Edited by Lior (log)

well I heated the sugar syrup up to 145C and it may have gone a bit more after I turned off the flame. I guess I should stop at 143-4. Then I added the butter and cream and brought it to 121C and again it continued going up a bit. Then I added some fruit puree and brought it to 120C. So now the chewy caramel does not slide off or change shape, it is really tasty BUT STICKS TO THE TEETH!!!! Which is not at all good! My nougat also came out a bit too chewy - I guess I must turn off before the desired temp is reached? :wink:

Edited by Lior (log)

well I heated the sugar syrup up to 145C and it may have gone a bit more after I turned off the flame. I guess I should stop at 143-4. Then I added the butter and cream and brought it to 121C and again it continued going up a bit. Then I added some fruit puree and brought it to 120C. So now the chewy caramel does not slide off or change shape, it is really tasty BUT STICKS TO THE TEETH!!!! Which is not at all good!  My nougat also came out a bit too chewy - I guess I must turn off before the desired temp is reached? :wink:

Fats prevent stick jaw, increased milk proteins prevent cold flow. Perhaps adding some milk powder would help with the flow problem and some butter or cocoa butter for the sticking problem?

hmmm. Right now the caramel is atop the nougat. But next time I will try some extra butteror cocoa butter. I can't get milk powder here...annoying! Also condensed is hard to come by.

Thank you!

How about evaporated milk?

well I heated the sugar syrup up to 145C and it may have gone a bit more after I turned off the flame. I guess I should stop at 143-4. Then I added the butter and cream and brought it to 121C and again it continued going up a bit. Then I added some fruit puree and brought it to 120C. So now the chewy caramel does not slide off or change shape, it is really tasty BUT STICKS TO THE TEETH!!!! Which is not at all good!  My nougat also came out a bit too chewy - I guess I must turn off before the desired temp is reached? :wink:

A bit of bicarb soda can also help caramels to stop sticking as much. Depending how sticky they are it might not eliminate it, but it can help (along with Kerry's other suggestions)